What's new

Bic Blades ?

Ah well, I've since had more disappointing examples. I'm starting to understand perhaps why opinions vary so widely. I'm starting to wonder if some of this is due to fact these aren't glued to the wrapper, leaving the blade to move about in the wrapper and perhaps some of them get dulled during transport? In any case I'm tired of the variability. The Rockwell blades that came with my razor are significantly better than my last two Bics but others have been marvelous.
I tried a tuck of BIC blades from a sample pack and they were fantastic. But, if I remember correctly, they had glue dots on the blades. It makes me think you got counterfeit blades, which is why I have not ordered from Amazon. I’m thinking of trying Razor Blade Club.

I tried a tuck of BIC blades from a sample pack and they were fantastic. But, if I remember correctly, they had glue dots on the blades. It makes me think you got counterfeit blades, which is why I have not ordered from Amazon. I’m thinking of trying Razor Blade Club.
The BIC Chrome (Yellow) blades I have got don't have glue dots. Mine are the genuine article, from Gifts & Care in Spain. Clean as can be, wrapped in a single layer of yellow wax paper with the BIC logo all over it.

I would be surprised if someone was counterfeiting BIC blades, but it would explain a lot as far as how different people could have such wildly different experiences with them.

The BIC Chrome (Yellow) blades I have got don't have glue dots. Mine are the genuine article, from Gifts & Care in Spain. Clean as can be, wrapped in a single layer of yellow wax paper with the BIC logo all over it.

I would be surprised if someone was counterfeiting BIC blades, but it would explain a lot as far as how different people could have such wildly different experiences with them.
I must have been mistaken. I’ve been out of BIC blades for two months and my 68 year old brain cells aren’t what they used to be. I could have sworn they had glue dots.

Where do you buy your BIC blades?

I've bought the red package (stainless steel blades) from a supermarket in Greece and they are legit. They have 4 glue spots, but these are not functional at all as the blade can still move around, the glue is very thin and dry, you have to look at the blade up close to see it. However, perhaps as the blades are under pressure in the package the glue does offer some protection.

Even the Astor blades get fakes. The oroginals cost no more than 50 eurocents / 5 blades

Here's a comparison between packages and blades. First (left to right) is a rather old package (10+ years), 2nd is a package I bought from Kaufland (EU hypermarket), 3rd is a package I bought at a store in the local market.

View attachment 1151141

First hint of the package that's not quite right:
View attachment 1151142

2nd hint of the package that's not quite right:
View attachment 1151146

One of these is not like the other:
View attachment 1151148

Blade older package:
View attachment 1151143

Blade from package bought at Kaufland hypermarket:
View attachment 1151144

Blade from pack bought at the local market:
View attachment 1151145

Wrapping paper and cutting edge fully show which one is the fake.

I find it incredible that there's an operation that would counterfeit inexpensive blades such as the BIC Astor
I bought Astor blades from Kaufland too (100 pack). Never bought them from a local market but I did find (and buy) counterfeit Lord Super Stainless and Gillette Stainless. The Lords were terrible and the Gillettes I didn't even try. They all went in my blade collection, not to be touched.
And... Salutari de la un alt roman de pe forum. :D

Ah well, I've since had more disappointing examples. I'm starting to understand perhaps why opinions vary so widely. I'm starting to wonder if some of this is due to fact these aren't glued to the wrapper, leaving the blade to move about in the wrapper and perhaps some of them get dulled during transport? In any case I'm tired of the variability. The Rockwell blades that came with my razor are significantly better than my last two Bics but others have been marvelous.
Are you using different types of soap? I get varied results with many blades depending on the soap I use, but nothing as extreme as you've experienced.

Been shaving for many decades, now & have used a fair variety of blades. Very few of them have never had a dud blade or 2 in a pack, and it's unlikely soeone would go to the time, expense and trouble to actually make "fake" blades.

Counterfeit razor blades? Guess I need to rethink that sample pack on my Amazon list.

I read a post somewhere about some guys here in the USA who wanted to get into the business of producing DE razor blades, selling them under their own brand. They learned that to set up a single production line would cost a minimum of $1.5 million USD. It seems unlikely that anyone would invest that kind of money to counterfeit some of the least expensive razor blades.

I have always wondered what happens to blades that fail quality control inspection in a razor blade plant. I am sure they are supposed to be destroyed or recycled, but I suspect some are pilfered by "enterprising employees" who then sell them in the grey market as first quality blades. This would explain what are often thought to be counterfeit blades. In that case, the "enterprising employees" do not have to invest their own money in production equipment. That would be far more lucrative than producing counterfeit blades.

I'm a big fan of the BIC Chrome Platinum's (100 baldes just arrived today). Out of interest, has anyone tried the BIC Astor Blades? How do they compare?

I'm a big fan of the BIC Chrome Platinum's (100 baldes just arrived today). Out of interest, has anyone tried the BIC Astor Blades? How do they compare?

I use them. I can't compare to Chrome Platinums but can compare them to Feather blades. In my Edwin Jagger DE89 (rubber coated handle) both the Astors and the Fathers provide comfortable, DFS shaves, even when using foam from a can. This week I'm actually using an Astor blade.

My beard is what I would consider soft, with spots near the chin where it gets thicker and a bit harsher. If you can get them cheaply, go for it.

The current tuck I'm using is from Maguires Barbershop. They were out of stock when I needed to re-order so the new arrives are from gemstonetrading (there website, not their ebay site).
Just now realized you are across the pond. I don’t think either of the places you mentioned can ship blades to the US.

Tried both. No difference, just as amazing but different packaging.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Tried both. No difference, just as amazing but different packaging.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk
I have contacted the manufacturer in Greece in the past and they said they are identical blades, with the yellow pack intended for the international market, and the red one for Greece + proximal countries; I had made a thread about it.

However, there were more than few people here who swore that they shave differently, but that has not been my experience at least :/

I have contacted the manufacturer in Greece in the past and they said they are identical blades, with the yellow pack intended for the international market, and the red one for Greece + proximal countries; I had made a thread about it.

However, there were more than few people here who swore that they shave differently, but that has not been my experience at least :/

Thanks for confirming. I have seen Astor's and Chrome Platinum's on sale from the same vendor but at different prices, I'll know in the future just to go with the cheapest one!

It is the same with Personna Israeli Reds, some people swear that the all red packaged (US market) are different from the blue with red writing packaging (UK market) despite them being sold as the same blades by the manufacturer.

I'm in the early weeks of working my way through a batch of test blades from tryablade.com. I just tried the Bic Chrome Platinum. It didn't go well. From the get-go it felt like I was going to rip my face to shreds. I actually dialed down my Slim Adjustable from 3 to 2, but it still felt scary. I don't think I even want to try this blade again. There are two in the tryablade pack so I may toss this blade and try the second one. Maybe there was something wrong with the first blade. So far in my tryablade pack I've used Star and Astra blades with great success, but I didn't care for the Bic. Maybe round 2 will be different.

Cliff

I'm in the early weeks of working my way through a batch of test blades from tryablade.com. I just tried the Bic Chrome Platinum. It didn't go well. From the get-go it felt like I was going to rip my face to shreds. I actually dialed down my Slim Adjustable from 3 to 2, but it still felt scary. I don't think I even want to try this blade again. There are two in the tryablade pack so I may toss this blade and try the second one. Maybe there was something wrong with the first blade. So far in my tryablade pack I've used Star and Astra blades with great success, but I didn't care for the Bic. Maybe round 2 will be different.

Cliff

If Astra (presumably Astra SP) and Star blades work well for you, you probably have no need to use BIC Chrome Platinum blades. I have never used Star blades, so I cannot comment on them. Astra SP blades are not nearly sharp enough for my tough beard. I have yet to get a good shave from Astra SP blades.

I love BIC blades, but prefer using them in a very mild razor due to my sensitive skin. Typically, I use them in a VDH/Weishi TTO razor that is about as mild as you can get. They work wonderfully in that razor. I can use them in a slightly more aggressive DE89 razor, but I would never use them in anything more aggressive than that.

Although BIC blades are not quite as sharp as Feather blades out of the wrapper, once the coating on the BIC blades starts to wear off, they become just as sharp as Feathers. Thus, for those who have tough beards, BIC blades are wonderful. Your shaving technique, however, has to be excellent to be able to use them without irritation or weepers.

Top Bottom