What's new

Bic Blades ?

I'm currently using a Bic blade, but not for much longer. It's not very good. It makes sense to me, as indicated in this thread, that they are inconsistent. Prior to this I had found them acceptable but not very long lasting,

Just bought a few weeks ago a pack of 100 Bic Astor blades (red packaging) from a local grocery store for the equivalent of 10 USD.
They're mentioned a lot less around here. Maybe the others are better known. Never tried the orange wrapped ones.
The red ones are smooth but not very sharp. Think Lord Super Stainless, SuperMax Super Stainless and just a small step down from Voskhod in terms of smoothness. Another blade that I found to be similar with it is the Personna Platinum.
They're ok for shorter stubble.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have tried a BIC blade and was happy with it. I think I have used 2 out of the tuck and I think I will load another one soon.

I just finished the worst shave of my life and had to warn people. The Bic cut my face up like nothing else. I am counting 11 small nicks on my face. I am a mess. Had to stop and grab one of my carts to finish up.

I am new to wet shaving but I have tried Turkish Lords, Personna Red, Feather, Derby Premium, Wilkinson German,
Vikings Blade, and Zaza. Nothing has done the damage that Bic has.

Watch out.

I just finished the worst shave of my life and had to warn people. The Bic cut my face up like nothing else.

As I said earlier in this thread, I also tend to cut myself on the first day with a Bic, but then subsequent days are great. The rather fascinating work at RefinedShave.com indicates the Bic gets significantly sharper after (during) the first shave; his theory is a coating wears off. The Bic changes sharpness more radically than most other blades.

Given that, my theory is: When I start the first shave with a less-than-sharp Bic, I subconsciously decide how much pressure to use. Then, I continue using that same amount of pressure throughout that shave, even though the blade is getting much sharper - so I cut myself. Then my brain resets by the next day and I deal properly with the now-sharp blade.

So, my choices are: 1) Learn how not to apply so much pressure; 2) Prep the Bic blade - cork it or strop it or something before the first shave; or 3) Move on to a different brand.

Given there are so many other blades out there that work well for me, I'm inclined toward 3, but I'll acknowledge that the Bic should be able to be a great blade.

I'm about halfway through 50 Bic Chrome Platinums that I bought a month ago. I'm going through them fast, as I'm trying them in multiple razors.

After trying about 15 different brands, I love the Bic Chrome Platinums. My most favorite blade is the Feather, but they are quite a bit more money than the Bic, and they wear out quickly. The Bic blades wear out fast, too, but they're not as expensive to replace. The feathers also seem to be thinner, and my razors seem to grip the Bic blades better.

@Sketcher Bic Chrome Platinum blades are up there near Feather level of sharpness. You might very well find that you need a much less aggressive razor to use them comfortably.

I have yet to get a bad Bic blade, although there are a lot of reports of them.

Reactions: nav
I have a pool of 16 blades that i use without problems and have hundreds of each. With BIC, no luck. Nicks out of nowhere. So much, that i couldn't finish a tuck.

Very sharp, rough, blade, that requires constant attention. If you shave every few days and you have a lot of growth to mow down, tough skin and you don't want to pay for Feather (here the BICs, you can find them probably at less than 8 EUR per 100), that's a blade to consider, provided that you don't lose concentration for a second.

If you shave frequently and you can get the job done with low sharpness blades and your skin isn't armor plated or you prefer a more careless shave, stay clear.

I once googled them and found a post in a local forum (about BIC Chrome Platinum), which i translate literally: "I used to be a BIC representative many years ago. I was nicking myself and clients were throwing the tucks at me".

I have a pool of 16 blades that i use without problems and have hundreds of each. With BIC, no luck. Nicks out of nowhere. So much, that i couldn't finish a tuck.

Very sharp, rough, blade, that requires constant attention. If you shave every few days and you have a lot of growth to mow down, tough skin and you don't want to pay for Feather (here the BICs, you can find them probably at less than 8 EUR per 100), that's a blade to consider, provided that you don't lose concentration for a second.

If you shave frequently and you can get the job done with low sharpness blades and your skin isn't armor plated or you prefer a more careless shave, stay clear.

I once googled them and found a post in a local forum (about BIC Chrome Platinum), which i translate literally: "I used to be a BIC representative many years ago. I was nicking myself and clients were throwing the tucks at me".
The last part of your post was hilarious.

The last part of your post was hilarious.

It's true! It's not a joke. If you don't believe me, send me a PM and i will give you the link of the local forum where i got it from and you can use google translation. I would post it directly, but i am too tired to read the forum regulation again to see if it is allowed (usually forums don't like linking to other forums of the same nature).

It's true! It's not a joke. If you don't believe me, send me a PM and i will give you the link of the local forum where i got it from and you can use google translation. I would post it directly, but i am too tired to read the forum regulation again to see if it is allowed (usually forums don't like linking to other forums of the same nature).
I do believe you. It's just that it was very funny what that guy said, that's all.

IMO it is a blade very, very dependent on the razor it is used in. Don't be afraid to try one in different razors.

I bought a 100 pack of the Bic Platinum because of a review I saw on youtube and the fact that it fit the Rocnel Sailor. Put one in and it wouldn't cut at all, I had to pull down pretty hard with it tugging. I figured it was just a bad blade, so I grabbed another razor in my medicine cabinet that had a week old Nacet in it and that worked perfect. Tried again today with a new blade from another tuck in the 100 pack, it was better but was tugging so bad I gave up 1/2 way. I have never had a blade not be able to cut my hair before, even super cheap Indian blades. It actually felt that the hairs were going to pull out before they would be cut.

Never again.

Seen this thread earlier & thought it would be fun to try these blades as I had some stashed away that Ive never used. Turned out to be one of the worst shaves of my life. The whole shave felt very tuggy but got progressively worse as I got to my neck. Cant remember ever bleeding this much from a blade..ended up using an astra sp to finish off. My go to blades are astra sp, wilkinson sword & gillette silver blues & I get fantastic consistent results with each of them. Not sure if I got a bad blade or not but this was the first & last shave with bic blades.

Seen this thread earlier & thought it would be fun to try these blades as I had some stashed away that Ive never used. Turned out to be one of the worst shaves of my life. The whole shave felt very tuggy but got progressively worse as I got to my neck. Cant remember ever bleeding this much from a blade..ended up using an astra sp to finish off. My go to blades are astra sp, wilkinson sword & gillette silver blues & I get fantastic consistent results with each of them. Not sure if I got a bad blade or not but this was the first & last shave with bic blades.

I had to do a double take to make sure I didn't write that :). I am going to try on more time tomorrow morning, my face sort of healed up.

This blade is so horrible that it is in fact the worst blade I have ever used. I tried several from a hundred pack I bought and they were all extremely dull.

Top Bottom