What's new

Bialetti Moka technique question ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I recently purchased a Bialetti "Moka Pot" coffee maker and have been enjoying it greatly. Thanks @Marco et al. for the recommendation!

Earlier today in one of the Bialetti discussions here, I saw a comment about the temperature used to make the coffee ... the poster basically said that he used a lower temperature, with the result being that the coffee grounds were not "cooked" in the brewing process, resulting in a less-bitter cup.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or other experiences with various heat levels and the results? What heat gives you the best result with your Bialetti? For the record, mine is a "6-cup" version, which makes enough to fill a normal "coffee mug" with a touch left over.

This is by no means a scientific response. I've tried with both cold and hot water. I found the cold water to yield a bit stronger flavor which I prefer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I recently purchased a Bialetti "Moka Pot" coffee maker and have been enjoying it greatly. Thanks @Marco et al. for the recommendation!

Earlier today in one of the Bialetti discussions here, I saw a comment about the temperature used to make the coffee ... the poster basically said that he used a lower temperature, with the result being that the coffee grounds were not "cooked" in the brewing process, resulting in a less-bitter cup.

Does anyone have similar experiences, or other experiences with various heat levels and the results? What heat gives you the best result with your Bialetti? For the record, mine is a "6-cup" version, which makes enough to fill a normal "coffee mug" with a touch left over.

Doc, when using a Bialetti Moka Pot there are 3 elements to keep in mind:

1. The right water/ coffee powder proportion. If you don't get this right your coffee won't be "great": too much water and the coffee will be overly light, watery and without taste - too much coffee powder and it will be overly strong and bitter.
Just put tap water in the bottom container barely touching the valve, no more no less. And fill entirely the funnel with quality coffee powder. For a full bodied taste give one press with a teaspoon and add just one more teaspoon of powder.

2. Low temperature or low cooker flame. The coffeee needs to come out slowly in order to become tasty and good.

3. Quality coffee beans, properly grounded for Moka Pot
(self-explanatory).

I hope this helps, Doc. Here at your disposal for any further question. Just ask, my friend. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the explanations @Marco the first Moka Pot that I ever bought was a single cup espresso. I didn’t have a cup small enough as we had all large coffee mugs. I kept filling mine up over the valve and wondered why I water would leak out where the bottom screwed to the top. Once I bought a small enough cup and saucer from the Op Shop and dropped the water level under the valve all went well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Doc, when using a Bialetti Moka Pot there are 3 elements to keep in mind:

1. The right water/ coffee powder proportion. If you don't get this right your coffee won't be "great": too much water and the coffee will be overly light, watery and without taste - too much coffee powder and it will be overly strong and bitter.
Just put tap water in the bottom container barely touching the valve, no more no less. And fill entirely the funnel with quality coffee powder. For a full bodied taste give one press with a teaspoon and add just one more teaspoon of powder.

2. Low temperature or low cooker flame. The coffeee needs to come out slowly in order to become tasty and good.

3. Quality coffee beans, properly grounded for Moka Pot (self-explanatory).

I hope this helps, Doc. Here at your disposal for any further question. Just ask, my friend. :)

Thank you!

#1 I was already doing, and we share a passion for #3.

But I had been doing the opposite of #2 ... I will lower the temperature and enjoy the results!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank you!

#1 I was already doing, and we share a passion for #3.

But I had been doing the opposite of #2 ... I will lower the temperature and enjoy the results!

You're very welcome, my friend. :thumbsup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I hope all is well with you ... or as well as can be expected in current circumstances.

I've been really enjoying my Bialetti Moka. Basically following all of your suggestions.

One additional thing I've done a few times is to add a healthy dash of ground cinnamon on top of the coffee grinds right before assembling the pot. This adds a nice cinnamon note to the coffee!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I hope all is well with you ... or as well as can be expected in current circumstances.

I've been really enjoying my Bialetti Moka. Basically following all of your suggestions.

One additional thing I've done a few times is to add a healthy dash of ground cinnamon on top of the coffee grinds right before assembling the pot. This adds a nice cinnamon note to the coffee!

Doc, given the circumstances we are all well - thanks God. The elders say that a similar tragedy here in Italy was only seen during WWII...

Yes, the cinnamon is a nice way to create a more tasty coffee, of course if you like cinnamon. Another traditional alternative would be to mix your coffee, once poured in the cup, with liquid chocolate. You can also put some fresh cream on the top, creating a "mini-cappuccino". Or you can even do both!

I’ve recently started using my moka pot. I use hot water in the pot and heat up the water at a medium-low/low medium temperature. Works well for me.

73660E77-A0FB-46DB-B59F-8782090AD62E.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I always loaded my Bialetti and used high heat to speed the process. Since water boils and produces steam at 212F/100C and greater pressure raises its boiling point, I am unable to figure out how you can make coffee at lower temperatures. Also, if you pour milk in your latte bowl or cup, microwave it, and blitz it with an inexpensive aerolatte, it yields a fine cafe latte or, if you use less milk and make more froth, a decent Cappuccino.

in my experience, it depends on your stove. on electric, best is to use maximum power on the smallest plate available. on gas, use the smallest plate and set it so that the flame just touches the bottom of pot.
I put the grounds loosely in the pot, never compact, and fill it only ~80% after levelling it out, by a gentle tap on the counter.
this is a YMMV thing as well. I remember my grandpa taking the time to evenly press down the grounds with a small spoon and he filled as much coffee as he could this way. I suppose he used different coffee too, so there is that...

In my opinion, the grind of the coffee can make or break the quality of the brew.

Perhaps the OP was asking whether bringing the water up to brewing temp slowly or quickly effected the bitterness of the brew? Does bringing the water in the chamber to a boil more quickly increase the pressure of the steam being forced through the grounds?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
In my opinion, the grind of the coffee can make or break the quality of the brew.

Perhaps the OP was asking whether bringing the water up to brewing temp slowly or quickly effected the bitterness of the brew? Does bringing the water in the chamber to a boil more quickly increase the pressure of the steam being forced through the grounds?
I do not see how it could. The pressure is a combination of the integrity of the chamber and the boiling point, isn't it?

I don't know. Do the grounds receive any moisture prior to the water coming to a boil and pressure achieved?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My experience is that a higher temperature results in a more bitter cup of coffee. "Low and slow" gets it done nicely.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Does bringing the water in the chamber to a boil more quickly increase the pressure of the steam being forced through the grounds?

Yes, it would. I believe the steam also will be a higher temperature because of that higher pressure, so you also wind up with a higher "brewing" temperature.

I'm speaking a little out of school, here, so someone come and smack me back down if need be.

I thought Mokas were percolators for the longest time, so never picked one up.

with various presses, I've found that 170-175F/76.6-79.4C the "right temp" to not release the "bitters" in the coffee. up to 185F/85C is ok. that's a temperature thing as a chemical reaction. somewhere out there is an explanation of the hard science of it.

pots require steam to soak the grounds, so keeping the steam at as low a temp as possible makes sense, but I'm not sure in my own head how to get a rich, not bitter cup from one. I've had good cups, but I never made them.

Top Bottom