What's new

Bialetti in trouble - end of the Moka pot

I've had the aluminum one go funky green inside, but only the bottom. The top part gets coated with oil from the coffee, and people say don't wash it. This keeps the top from getting verdigris. The bottom just fills with water, and the corners are hard to clean, so that part gets the nasty patina. I have no idea how to prevent that. But I also have one of their steel models that works well. Might have to buy more, just in case. Sad news!

The Venus model is made of stainless steel. Bialetti : Venus

I have a Bialetti Cat Black. Nickled brass.

proxy.php

I've had the aluminum one go funky green inside, but only the bottom. The top part gets coated with oil from the coffee, and people say don't wash it. This keeps the top from getting verdigris. The bottom just fills with water, and the corners are hard to clean, so that part gets the nasty patina. I have no idea how to prevent that. But I also have one of their steel models that works well. Might have to buy more, just in case. Sad news!

They last longer if any water in the bottom is emptied and allowed to dry.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah yes, I remember reading that too. A fitting tribute. I just hope no-one poured water in the bottom chamber, heated it and brewed up the resulting powder (would still taste better than Starbucks I imagine)!

Gotta give up some applause ... :a14:

AA

One might think that such a long established family business would not be in so much debt. But maybe they expanded into too many areas or made too many styles of pots.

I was curious about that copper flip pot shown in post #3, while I did not find it for sale found a blog post about food in Napoli. It showed a moka pot for sale that was almost as big as that burial one. I do not know Italian but I believe the "Tz" is an abbreviation for Tazzina, same as Demitasse (French) or small cup (English). So looks like one can buy an 50 Tz version for 480 euros :117:.
proxy.php

If you like to see some more variations of these pots this Chinese web page is worth visiting to see the photos.
美咖_意艺 - 微文库

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've got a Bialetti Venus. It makes a nice coffee and I like that it's stainless steel.

Shame to hear they are in trouble.

Venus2.jpg

Sad news for sure, I’m a very happy customer. I enjoy coffee like I do a cigar, cognac or even shaving, it’s a ritual and they did it right.
415520D0-D073-4B6F-A164-6E72747C3581.jpeg

Last edited:
I never had a Bialetti, but I am on my second (or maybe third) Primula, as stated, the aluminum does get funky over time.

It is mostly reserved for weekend mornings, as I tend to cold brew in bulk for morning consumption, but it does make a fine cup.

I inherited a NOS 6 cup from my MIL still in box, with instructions. When I just want 1 or 2 servings I use the small one that I got at Big Lots, they had them for 4.00. each. I think I will pick up a couple more.

Top Bottom