What's new

BHP .22 Conversion?

I haven't been shooting in ages, but I've been thinking of getting out to the range again. Unfortunately, with kids in school and other obligations, I don't have as much money to spend on a hobby like this as I once did. My brother used to have a subcal conversion kit for his M1911 and he seemed to like it and get a lot of use out of it. I have a BHP that I think might be a good candidate for conversion. I've been doing some online research and have seen good reports about the Cierner .22 Conversion Unit. There are some negatives out there too--especially about customer service--but I'm kind of intrigued. Anybody have any experience with Cierner? Or any other recommendations for conversions?

How much ammo can you purchase for your Hi Power for $300.00?

The show a basic conversion for $199 and a step up version for $249.. It's been a while since I purchased any ammo, but a quick Internet look shows cheap ammo at about $13 for a box of 50. That's about 15 boxes. 22 ammo at about $4.50-5.00 box now so you would need to shoot quite a bit to make up the difference. Might be a good deal for the long haul.

The show a basic conversion for $199 and a step up version for $249.. It's been a while since I purchased any ammo, but a quick Internet look shows cheap ammo at about $13 for a box of 50. That's about 15 boxes. 22 ammo at about $4.50-5.00 box now so you would need to shoot quite a bit to make up the difference. Might be a good deal for the long haul.

That's about how the numbers came out for me. I've been thinking about it as a long-term project. Hopefully I'll be around long enough so that part won't be a worry.

I'd just get a good 22LR handgun, revolver or pistol and have a practice/kid's gun/plinker/woodswalker. You're pretty assured its going to be reliable and you never have to worry about losing something in either system when they're separated. Plus, its an excuse to get another gun (if you REALLY need that!).

I'd just get a good 22LR handgun, revolver or pistol and have a practice/kid's gun/plinker/woodswalker. You're pretty assured its going to be reliable and you never have to worry about losing something in either system when they're separated. Plus, its an excuse to get another gun (if you REALLY need that!).

Hmmm...that seems like a much better idea, doesn't it.

Chris, for 250 bucks you could get a pretty nice .22 dedicated pistol to play with. I have been seeing a few Buckmarks and a sig 22 for about that in the used cabinet.

In order to become consistent with any handgun it is imperative to practice with the ammo it was designed for.

Imagine the day when you have to use said handgun to defend yourself and your family and you've only practiced with 22LR for the past 2 years. The noise, recoil, and smoke will startle you and cost valuable defensive prowess.

As mentioned, 22LR handguns are rather inexpensive, but the ammo is hard to find.

Tough conversation to add to, all good points made. I don't know about the equipment you speak of, my experiences are with a SIG 220 Carry. In that platform the benefits of holstering, weight, draw, sights, and trigger pull all go toward a sense of familiarity. The ah ha moment is still having to run 19 or so rounds of 45 to keep the muscle memory of sequential aquisition of sight picture and magazine swap every session too. So it comes back to your specific situation. Then again, you may still enjoy a purpose built 22 just for the joy of it... S&W Model 52, a Browning Buckmark, S&W 51, a revolver... All fine experiences in their own right.

Last edited:
Chris, for 250 bucks you could get a pretty nice .22 dedicated pistol to play with. I have been seeing a few Buckmarks and a sig 22 for about that in the used cabinet.

Jim, I think that's the best idea and what I'll probably do. The combination of a call from a friend with some .22s and one too many IPAs just got me thinking about other possibilities last night.

In order to become consistent with any handgun it is imperative to practice with the ammo it was designed for.

Imagine the day when you have to use said handgun to defend yourself and your family and you've only practiced with 22LR for the past 2 years. The noise, recoil, and smoke will startle you and cost valuable defensive prowess.

Always good advice--thanks.

Top Bottom