What's new

Beware when drying your captains Choice bowl. Learn from my mistake.

I will put my hand on a bible and testify in court I did not and have not dropped this bowl.

I was drying out my bowl after rinsing this morning and I heard a sickening crack in the towel.
IMG_20230220_053245048.jpg

This is my Monday morning. Great start to the week.

I don't know how this happened, but my only guess is being these are handmade maybe there was a thinner spot in the clay that my ham fists exploited.

This is in no way a post trying to be critical of captains Choice, I just want to put a friendly FYI that if you have one of these to be more delicate when drying than I was.

Unfortunately they don't make this color anymore, which makes this hurt even worse. Oh well.

Have a better Monday than me everyone!

Replace it with the copper one.
IMG_20230103_163243651.jpg

I do have the copper bowl and also the scuttle.

While both are quality items by biggest gripe with the copper bowl is the edges are taller so my brush clangs into the sides and they aren't sloped enough like the ceramic one, so the ceramic keeps the lather in better.

The scuttle is great, but it is huge. Good for occasional use on a cold day.

My seaworthy bowl was my favorite. In my opinion it was the best bowl of the bunch. The sides were short enough my brush didn't smack into them and were sloped at the perfect amount as to contain the lather but yet still shallow enough to be accessible, in my opinion it was the perfect design.

I guess I'll have to choose a new color.

I use a heavy stainless dog bowl. Maybe the sides are too high for your liking, but they flare out some. They actually make a smaller one with lower sides, but I'm a wild man whipping up a lather.
Obviously unbreakable because being a farrier for 45 years "delicate" is not in my vocabulary.
IMG_0462.JPG

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My handmade ceramic bowl died an unnatural death when "we' were unpacking after we returned from a 3 day trip visiting another island when we were in Bali back in August. Ah, the joys of shaving one small suitcase. I replaced it when we got home but I knew I'd need something unbreakable for traveling so I picked up a Timeless Blue bowl for $14. After giving it a try, that's all I use now. It's taller so it contains the lather well... and being plastic, I don't hear any clanking along the sides when I'm whipping up the lather... more dull clunks instead of clinks. ;)

Side Note: I have 3 wonderful heavy weight copper bowls from Scott @ Captain's Choice... all of them are too beautiful to use for shaving. The two Aquamarine bowls are sitting out on display: my car keys in one with felt insert in the bottom, the other one, my wife uses for her ear buds, etc. I made the mistake of following @SgtCrppls 's example and polishing the "plain" copper one. It is so lovely, I have it sitting next to my chair in the TV room. I enjoy looking at it every day. I really should try using one for lathering.... but I'd have to buy yet a 4th one and hope I could leave it as it is so I wouldn't be tempted to use it to display something else. ;)

I will put my hand on a bible and testify in court I did not and have not dropped this bowl.

I was drying out my bowl after rinsing this morning and I heard a sickening crack in the towel.
View attachment 1608989

This is my Monday morning. Great start to the week.

I don't know how this happened, but my only guess is being these are handmade maybe there was a thinner spot in the clay that my ham fists exploited.

This is in no way a post trying to be critical of captains Choice, I just want to put a friendly FYI that if you have one of these to be more delicate when drying than I was.

Unfortunately they don't make this color anymore, which makes this hurt even worse. Oh well.

Have a better Monday than me everyone!
What a miserable start into the new week... it'll likely only can get better! 👍

The lather bowel from Timeless is the most functional and indestructible lather bowel I’ve ever used. This is all I use now.

I also have a bowel from the Captain and while I like it its breakability makes it too fussy for me. Otherwise, yeah, a great lathering bowel. I had the copper bowel at one time but for some reason I just never connected with it.

Last edited:
I love my CC copper bowl and since I purchased a ceramic from him, my copper is only for travel. That ceramic keeps warm for 4 passes and I only use 3🥳🥳🥳. Sorry for your loss @Jbird45, I think you’ll need another bowl, friend.

I think my luck has turned!!!

The captain, being the outstanding gentleman he is, saw this thread and took it upon himself to dig through his inventory and he found THE last bowl in this color, and it has my name on it

I'm left speechless, but if I had anything to say it would be support small businesses and local artisans. They deserve our business.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

The captain, being the outstanding gentleman he is, saw this thread and took it upon himself to dig through his inventory and he found THE last bowl in this color, and it has my name on it

I'm left speechless, but if I had anything to say it would be support small businesses and local artisans. They deserve our business.
Scott, the Captain, has been helpful to me on several occasions.... not for something going wrong but for other things. He is an excellent human being.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Sorry about what happened to you.

Maybe towards CAYUEN.
It has the weight and capacity of a ceramic CC bowl, has a curved interior that doesn't bump the handle, and is made of durable polyurethane.
IMG_20230214_192522.jpg

The smaller diameter lug near the bottom allows you to easily hold the bowl without spreading your fingers.

More importantly, holding cosmos in your hand will definitely make you shaving like the master of the universe.
IMG_20230214_193403.jpg

IMG_20230215_163227.jpg

I also own the standard brass CC bowl and love it, but picking up a metal bowl in winter leaves me cold.

The Timeless bowl is also in my rotation, love how sturdy and crazy lather it is; only occasionally I'd prefer to go for the luxurious look of CC or CAYUEN.

Last edited:

Scott is the best.

That is incredible! The Captain is an amazing gentleman!!

Top Bottom