What's new

Beware. The mail is slow!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Went to pay my credit card bill today.

With shock, realized it's due in three days! Dang thing just came, now I can't pay it in time!

Of course I picked up the phone and paid it that way. But when I explained it, the girl agreed, saying she got a utility bill that was late when she received it!

A few Christmas cards were ridiculously late, too. As in a month!

So be it the bug or the weather or what; the mail is slow lately. Might want to check on your correspondence.

AA

I am more suspicious. I suspect that some bills are being mailed late so that the payments will be late, and late fees thus incurred. Do I have evidence to support this assertion. No. But suspicions remain. I'm trying to deduce a means of testing my hypothesis.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Credit card lady said they would forgive the late fee, as they realize the mail issues. Didn't have to in my case, but it's additional confirmation.

AA

Yeah I’ve noticed that. Sent a Christmas card to my mum in Ireland Around the 12 December. Didn’t get there till after New Years. Not sure which end that was on, but I’ve noticed slow mail here for a few things.

On Dec. 15th, my wife sent a package from MN to Langhorne, PA which is just outside Philadelphia. It's coming up on a month now and they still haven't received it. According to tracking it's stuck in Philadelphia. I read that the Philly distribution center is totally backed up and that holiday packages will probably still be backed up through the end of January.

My order from WCS and IB got delivered in 39 days average (International delivery), while approximate given time was 10 to 14 days.

While there was an election and major Holidays for other countries, we have a long list of Red Tape for International orders to make matters slow.
That is ofcourse the tracked delivery, untracked delivery take usually months.

It goes through 2 EMS offices in opposite ends of country to figure out the duties and then it's on the way to me.

My local Post Office manages to keep the parcels on hold for so much time that I almost forget about it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Worse yet, I paid a credit card bill 10 days before it was due and it took 20 days to get there. Incurred big interest charges and late fees as a result. I called the credit card company and those were reversed, but still that really stinks. Needless to say, I am I’m the midst of converting all of my bills to online bill pay now. Ugh. I have many mail still missing for over a month. Including checks from customers, and packages ordered off eBay. This is a tragedy. It’s hurting a lot of people.

Yeah I’ve noticed that. Sent a Christmas card to my mum in Ireland Around the 12 December. Didn’t get there till after New Years. Not sure which end that was on, but I’ve noticed slow mail here for a few things.
I can confirm An Post (the Irish postal service) has delays. Especially with package or parcels. The postman said it was due to the "international situation", Christmas, and large volumes due to a huge increase in online shopping.

I would assume postal services worldwide would have similar issues for similar reasons.

We used to receive most of our bills by mail and pay those bills by check. However, mail delivery has been awful. My daughter mailed our Christmas cards from Denver two weeks before Christmas. They arrived in the Chicago area three weeks later, a week after Christmas. Normally, delivery take 4 days.

We mailed a check to pay my life insurance premium the day it arrived, shortly before Christmas. It took nearly three weeks to get from Chicago to Dallas. The check finally cleared two days before the due date. Yikes!

I worked my entire career in the paper industry, so I try to support the use of paper. However, the stress of slow mail delivery has forced me to pay 90% of the bills online. We still get paper statements, but pay them electronically the day they arrive.

I use the USPS about once a month. I pay everything online so that I can be sure it’s not late. USPS has been bad for many years now, but it’s worse than ever lately. I remember the days when we received our mail twice weekdays and once on Saturday. Those glory days are long gone. Ben Franklin must be shaking his head. You know he’s one of the Immortals.

I had ordered some jewelry as a gift which shipped from Korea on Nov 22, arrived the week after Christmas. The shipping updates had it in JFK for probably at least a week or more before it got passed on. They're definitely backed up.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Ireland's mail service An Post takes a leisurely approach to the delivery of overseas mail. If you send something in country it tends to get next day delivery but if it comes from abroad it tends to get held up by the checks at the overseas sorting centres. This has gotten worse with the lockdown and the increase in online ordering. If I order something from AliExpress I have frequently forgotten about it by the time it arrives.

I use the USPS about once a month. I pay everything online so that I can be sure it’s not late. USPS has been bad for many years now, but it’s worse than ever lately. I remember the days when we received our mail twice weekdays and once on Saturday. Those glory days are long gone. Ben Franklin must be shaking his head. You know he’s one of the Immortals.

I get bills online and pay my bills online. When I lived in FL the postman constantly put mail in the wrong mailboxes (they were centrally located). It was particularly difficult since some residents were seasonal and you would not get mail that was misdirected for several months. The HOA gave us stickers to put in our mailboxes to remind the postman that no mail was to be put in those mailboxes where the mail should have been forwarded.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Ireland's mail service An Post takes a leisurely approach to the delivery of overseas mail. If you send something in country it tends to get next day delivery but if it comes from abroad it tends to get held up by the checks at the overseas sorting centres. This has gotten worse with the lockdown and the increase in online ordering. If I order something from AliExpress I have frequently forgotten about it by the time it arrives.
Between the USPS and An Post it took over a month for Christmas packages to get from Ohio to my family back in Galway, and I've still been getting Christmas cards from Ireland this week.

Between the USPS and An Post it took over a month for Christmas packages to get from Ohio to my family back in Galway, and I've still been getting Christmas cards from Ireland this week.
This is exasperated by the huge reduction in air traffic. Passenger flights often carry post as well as other freight.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
This is exasperated by the huge reduction in air traffic. Passenger flights often carry post as well as other freight.
I haven't been to Ireland since August of 2019. I was booked for 5 days last April and 9 weeks over the summer but neither of those trips happened. I've had an aunt die in Galway and another over in Warrington and I missed both funerals. I would have gone over to the one in Galway, & I would have already been in Ireland when the one in England died, so I would have made that one as well. That's the last of my Da's brothers and sisters. I'm now the family taoiseach, or at least that's what I tell everyone.

Top Bottom