What's new

Beware. The mail is slow!

I haven't been to Ireland since August of 2019. I was booked for 5 days last April and 9 weeks over the summer but neither of those trips happened. I've had an aunt die in Galway and another over in Warrington and I missed both funerals. I would have gone over to the one in Galway, & I would have already been in Ireland when the one in England died, so I would have made that one as well. That's the last of my Da's brothers and sisters. I'm now the family taoiseach, or at least that's what I tell everyone.
Sorry for your loss. With the whole situation here, gatherings are restricted, including weddings and funerals. If you're looking to come back to Ireland, I would suggest to wait until there is a large uptake of the vaccine. We're going in and out of lockdown at a ridiculous rate.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Sorry for your loss. With the whole situation here, gatherings are restricted, including weddings and funerals. If you're looking to come back to Ireland, I would suggest to wait until there is a large uptake of the vaccine. We're going in and out of lockdown at a ridiculous rate.
Yes I've been following it all quite closely. Years ago I'd be waiting at the corner shop in Boston on Tuesday and Friday afternoons for the 3-4 day old Irish newspapers to arrive. Now I speak to people over there on the phone and I'm telling them what's going on in Loughrea. Sad to have seen photos of Grafton St deserted over Christmas.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A funny story about the aunt in Loughrea who died- a couple years ago Labour Seanad member Lorraine Higgins was canvassing east Galway and was posting photos of her progress on Twitter. Now I don't know her at all, but I followed her photos and saw she was making her way through Carrabane parish, and was just 2 townlands over from my aunt who was then living alone. So I half seriously tweeted could Higgins stop in to Ballybaun and look in on her. An hour later Higgins tweeted a photo of herself and my aunt together. She told my aunt I sent her there to look in on her. It was very nice of Higgins to do that.

When I log into my USPS account, they still display a red banner at the top that says: "ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES".

All of my local post offices have limited their hours to 8:30AM to 5:00PM Monday through Friday excluding holidays. This includes lobby hours to pick up your mail from PO boxes. Boxes used to be available 24/7, then became limited without warning. I used to pick up my mail daily, but now it usually sits there for more than a week before I can get there between those hours.

It took three weeks to get a Christmas package from VA to PA.
I went to our little post office the other day looking for stamps. They hadn’t gotten their order in that they requested in December.

I have been waiting for an order from Spain for over four (4) weeks.

I ordered an $85 silent film from France in late December. It finally shipped yesterday with expected delivery this coming Thursday. If it actually gets here this week, I'm rushing out to buy lottery tickets. I'm hoping it gets here at all. I ordered razor blades in March from Germany that were supposed to take a week, and they took over a month. USPS delays, coupled with Customs delays, make for a long wait.

The joys of auto-pay......I have not written 5 checks since the beginning of 2020. Four of those were as Christmas gifts

Top Bottom