What's new

BEWARE of Straight Razors.com I got my answer about the trashed Thiers Issard.

Yep, that's our boys. Straightrazors.com. Here's the email thread, so far......

From me:
Hello,

My name is Ronnie Van Huss. I have called you several times and only get
a recording and no option to leave a message. I also left a typed
message on your website with no response. On December 11, I ordered and
received a new Thiers Issard Spartacus razor as a Christmas present from
my wife. When it arrived, my wife wrapped it, sight unseen, and placed
it under our tree. I didn't actually see the razor until Christmas
morning and was quite disappointed to find that it was damaged. I need
instructions or an RMA # to return it for a replacement or a refund. I
need a response from you today, as I am leaving tomorrow on a trip until
Jan 4.

The first response: today

Ronnie, please send us a picture, and describe the damage. We open and sharpen each razor, and it is then inspected twice, and oiled prior to being packaged and sent out.
Thank you,
-Dave

TAKE NOTE IN HIS EMAIL - "We open and sharpen each razor" he readily admits to sharpening the razor.

My friendly response;

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. Picture of the razor with the spine ground off
and kitchen knife bevel is attached. I have not touched the razor. It still has
the oil that you applied. Go back and look at the order #4350 , as I
specifically asked that you
NOT
hone the razor
. I am a razor collector and restorer. I have over 100
razors in my collection and some are over 100 years old and none of them have
the excessive honewear and bevel characteristics of the razor you sent me. I
want to return the razor for a full refund or an un-honed replacement. This
razor is unacceptable and cannot be repaired to new condition. Thank you for
your time. I look forward to your prompt attention to this.

Thank you,

I sent the picture as requested.

Dave's response;

Ronnie, when I replied, I did not review your order. Now that I look at it, I remember it, as you are the only customer who has ever requested an unhoned razor. I am the one who opened, inspected, and shipped it, and it was unhoned by us.. The only beveling/honing was that which comes straight from the factory. I can not offer a refund, as we do not refund personal care items, unless there is a defect. The factory beveling on a lower end razor is not a defect. In addition we can not replace it, as we would be sending the same quality razor to you. Your high expectations on a bevel do not constitute the razor being damaged. There is also no way for us to verify that you didn't try and bevel this yourself, as you stated that is what you were going to do.
-Dave

Now he have changed his mind and NOW he remembers that the razor was un-honed. And when all else fails, he just blames me for honing it improperly. Oh, and it was out of line for me to expect a new razor. Just WOW!

My only response to this nonsense was. I guess we have to do it the hard way. Off to cancel the CC payment.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I can believe that razor came this way from the factory based on the ones I own.

Recently I received an expensive name brand shaving brush with a hunk missing out of the bulb and fragrance in the hair. I was basically told by the vendor that because the missing hunk came from the factory that way and they released it, it was by definition acceptable. This is a different vendor by the way. As far as the fragrance went, he told me that he could not trust his customers that it was unused by them. He did however, eventually take it back.

I understand the issue with used personal products, some folks won't use used shaving soap even after washing it with soap and water....

BUT, what the seller should IMO do for you is to advocate with his suppliers/factory to reach a satisfactory solution for the customer. The idea that these are personal products and if they came from the factory in unacceptable condition, you're just screwed when you hit "buy it now". That is an unacceptable level of customer service.

Cheers, Steve

You could try a chargeback if you used a credit card or a dispute if it was pay pal. Also check their yelp rating and add to it if you feel the need. Good luck.

Bummer. Sorry to read this experience. Hope it works out for you. Very poor, (actually nonexistent) service.

"Now that I look at it, I remember it, as you are the only customer who has ever requested an unhoned razor".

Not true. I once ordered a razor from those guys and very specifically requested they not hone it. The razor (a Thiers Issard also) arrived in a sealed box. So far-so good.

Upon opening it I discovered a weird bevel which was half again as wide in the middle of the blade as it was on either the heel or toe. Shaved alright, just looked creepy. Later discussion with members here advised that funky bevels on T-I blades is not uncommon.
I have had other T-I blades which were ground just fine. Luck of the draw I guess. Hence the joys of dealing with stand-up quality vendors. May cost a nickel more but well worth it should such issues arise

Last edited:
I hate to hear about stuff like this. Reputation means so much for a small business, but the purchaser seems to have a legitimate beef on this one. I hope that it can be resolved to mutual satisfaction.

Steve56

Pffffffttt Wow....guess I know where not to shop for my first real straight!

As far as customer service, yes. But the chances of getting a wonky newly manufactured razor are shall we say "reasonable" wherever you buy it. You might look up some posts on new TIs by Neil Miller (RIP) over at SRP. The important thing is to have a satisfactory understanding with the vendor regarding right of return for unused products. If the vendor doesn't trust you, well there are a lot of them these days, go elsewhere.

I have had as good experiences buying used brushes and razors off the boards. Everyone knows they have been used so that's not an issue (aka, an excuse to do nothing) if you have a problem.

Cheers, Steve

What I noted is that his explanation makes it obvious that his first response was generic. A zero thought response. Now I might understand that from a company doing thousands of transactions a day, but do they really have so many complaints that they need a form letter.

As far as customer service, yes. But the chances of getting a wonky newly manufactured razor are shall we say "reasonable" wherever you buy it.
Cheers, Steve

That's interesting as I told the guy the truth that I have over 100 razors and bought all but a couple of them used and I have not seen blades like this. If it's exclusively a T.I. problem, then maybe you're correct. I can show you pictures of a room full of of razors that don't look remotely that bad and some of them are centuries old. I would expect a "whipped dog" or an "ebay special" to have a bit of a wavy bevel or a corrected spine, but not a brand new razor I paid almost $200 for.

Steve56

That's interesting as I told the guy the truth that I have over 100 razors and bought all but a couple of them used and I have not seen blades like this. If it's exclusively a T.I. problem, then maybe you're correct. I can show you pictures of a room full of of razors that don't look remotely that bad and some of them are centuries old. I would expect a "whipped dog" or an "ebay special" to have a bit of a wavy bevel or a corrected spine, but not a brand new razor I paid almost $200 for.

Buy a few lower end Dovos, you'll see some very wonky blades there too.

But here's an idea: IIRC TI was bought by AoS maybe a year ago, and that's a Proctor and Gamble brand. Do your research, but if that's true, I think I'd be emailing P&G/AoS.

Cheers, Steve

But here's an idea: IIRC TI was bought by AoS maybe a year ago, and that's a Proctor and Gamble brand. Do your research, but if that's true, I think I'd be emailing P&G/AoS.

Cheers, Steve

True, but still doesn't make it right. A Hart in the same price range will be straight every time.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
P&G would LOVE to capture a majority market share of straight shavers and then convince us all that straights and buying straights totally suck, so we would go back to the One True Faith and be meek and compliant cart users who stop everything to watch the latest shaving system commercial. So maybe they just dont CARE if customer relations and quality control are underwhelming. Anyway, after that exchange I would go for the throat and cut them zero slack. There is no room in the market for that sort of service. If that sounds harsh, I am okay with that.

Steve56

True, but still doesn't make it right. A Hart in the same price range will be straight every time.

Oh, I agree - but regardless of right and wrong, it is the current state if affairs that a sizeable number of Dovos and TIs are shipped from the factory with wonky grinds. See Gary Haywood's post in the other thread. That's why vendor support is so important.

Cheers, Steve

Steve56

Youse guys obviously haven't worked in large bureaucracies - thank your lucky stars. But you can use bureaucracy to your advantage. The last thing the head of AoS/TI wants to see is alpster's email forwarded to them from the head of P&G with an "explain this please" header. If you waste too much of their time or they think it will show up on social media, chances are they'll make it right, maybe very quickly.

And playing a bureaucracy can be a great deal of fun though TBH I'd rather be having fun honing a finely ground Japanese razor on my Nakayamas.

Cheers, Steve

Cheers, Steve

I have a dozen Dovos, from the "Best Quality" LOL to "Bergeschure Lowe" and they are all fine razors. They never looked like TI I just got. Even the much maligned "Best" is in better shape than this at less than 1/2 the cost.

Steve56

You've been lucky - and it is a roll of the dice. I have two Dovos, Bismarck blanks, one is one of the finest razors I have, one is so overground in the middle the edge will probably never hit the stone.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom