What's new

BEWARE of Straight Razors.com I got my answer about the trashed Thiers Issard.

Not wanting to distract the thread, but I googled straigtrazors.com and found a straightrazor.com and a straightrazors.com. Both sites definitely look different, however both carries similar razors AND both have similar wording in their return policies. Just wanted to make sure we talking about the same place.

Now if you had gotten a GD, you would be guaranteed that it will be coming unhoned from Ningbo (although on one of those two sites, I did see where they were selling honed shave ready GD razors.

They are the same company. Apparently it is part of the scam. They operate with several different names and sites. All the same guys. They also call themselves "The Shave Network".

I thought the Soarticus was a Spanish point festonne back high-zoot razor?

Anyhow, sorry to hear about that. Looks just like a GD, but at 20-30x the price.

They are the same company. Apparently it is part of the scam. They operate with several different names and sites. All the same guys. They also call themselves "The Shave Network".
I'm not sure I would call it a scam... but any person/business that needs multiple names and sites to sale should be a huge read flag for anyone looking.
I posted my opinion of the business back a year or 2 ago ... but there were a number of members that said "give him a chance.. they've turned over a new leaf..". Looks like it's the same ol' business it's always been. .

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If they open and inspect every razor before shipping as they said they do, then THEY ought to be sending a hideous monstrosity like that back to the factory instead of passing crap on to the customer.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
If they open and inspect every razor before shipping as they said they do, then THEY ought to be sending a hideous monstrosity like that back to the factory instead of passing crap on to the customer.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 264
Sorry to hear of it. I've not tried a T-I out of the gate, but a reliable honing source seems imperative. When I've had issues with shady operatives like this in the past, I've had my credit card company fight the battle for the refund. A fly-by-night company does not want to have its credit rating wrecked, so it will usually grant the refund in the end when a big bank gets involved.

Since he has a merchant account (only way to accept CC outside of paypal) the CC company can just take back the funds. There is a complaint review process that must be followed, but as long as there is a dispute my money is locked up and he can't spend it. It's always in the best interest of the merchant to settle with the customer.

I've heard Ti has gone down hill in terms of workmanship, and final inspection (quality control), this is all I need to hear about them, and the vendor you bought from, Straightrazors.com, I'll give both a wide caution. Too bad that vendor has gone rouge, I hope other people read your post and give them a no go, word of mouth can be very powerful, especially in a straight razor forum. Why don't you post your response on all the razor forums you can find online, and really give them the old heave ho up to the elbow sign, it will then be a great power of the spoken word stretching to more unsuspecting customers.:mad3:

Good luck with all this crazy BS from Straightrazors.com, hope you can get a acceptable conclusion to all this. Bet your wife feels terrible about this also.

I have a TI which I bought from AOS. Just the factory edge was on it when I purchased it. One side had a bit of hone wear and the bevel was slightly uneven on this one too. This was definitely not a low end razor ($300), so the fault is probably with the factory. While this was not a deal-breaker for me, and AOS lets you inspect each straight before taking it home, I think it is reasonable for the vendor to make it right in your case (online purchase) or at least explain the policy more politely.

I am not sure the low-end comment he made even matters at all. That just sounds like a cheap shot. I will stay away, I found a lot of the comments in his response to be rude.

Spot on! If TI are delivering crap razors from the factory, it's incumbent on the retailer to send them back, not pass them on to the end customer. They'll soon get the message and sort out their quality control issues if all the crap looking razors are returned. I've got 1920's TI's that are in better condition than your new razor. The Spartacus is not a "basic" razor. For the money you pay, you'd expect a lot more. The fact that the retailer is trying to pass the problem onto the buyer is disgusting IMHO. It shows that their business model is driven 100% by greed and 0% by customer satisfaction.

I was actually thinking about getting a TI razor so are they not well made ? the ones on the invisible edge look very nice.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I bought two of my three from The Invisible Edge, an 11/16 basic black and a 7/8 basic black. The 11/16 is perfect, the 7/8 has wavy bevels, but again, it shaves extremely well. The basic black is a low end model. Steve Dempster is a good guy, tell him your concerns and I am sure he will do his best. He typically hones them and they are shave ready.

Cheers, Steve

I heard a lot of talk about all Thiers Issard razors, that the steel they use is susceptible to water spotting, and tarnishing, for that reason I just plain stay away from them, Wacker razors are a much better choice for the money.

Just me , at least I don't worry about getting screwed like the guy who opened this thread up, hope he finally gets it sorted out.:bored:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hopefully all this negative publicity will serve as an example to other dodgy vendors, about what can happen when they dont care about the customer. The vendor in question will probably just hate customers even more lol! I am glad we have this forum so we can mutually support the good vendors and avoid the questionable ones.

Bad customer service period. To indicate that you cannot expect a 'lower end razor" to have a good bevel is absurd, and that any replacement he would send would be the same is not accurate - as some appear not to have this issue. A $200 razor is not a low-end razor to me.

If he opened and inspected it and then sent it out - then he should accept it back. If the TI brand is so hit or miss with QC - then why doesn't he offer you another brand/model and work with you on it.

Thank you for naming the vendor - it is one that I will avoid for sure. So stupid of him to do this - as look at future business that could be affected. Imagine if he apologized, returned the item and made it right - you may have lauded his service and it may have resulted in a few more sales for this outfit than they ever would have before.

I bought my TI from Fendrihan. They put their name on the face of the blade but it is a TI and is of excellent quality. The new steel formula they use is great, no trouble with water spotting, staining, etc. I did have to hone it myself to get a good shaving edge. I'm guessing Fendrihan only sends out the TI's that pass their inspection.

And you guys talk bad about gds..... LOL. I agree 100% that the quality SUCKS on some of these razors. Im waiting for someone to make a machine that grinds them perfect. I think that is certainly possible. They profile stone counter tops that way by machine, But seems that the QC sucks obviously and the razors that should be scrapped are being sold as first quality. Ive seen some customs with bad tempers and obvious deficiencies also.

Top Bottom