What's new

Better than arko?

Hi Nick, my suggestions isn't a stick but anything by Stirling meets your critica my friend. Very slick and smooth. There are sales right now at Stirling's for $8.75! So you can try some at a discount
Have a great shave! Ron Eastman Lynn Massachusetts
Nick I forget to say when I use Williams I put a few drops of glycerin on the brush....nice and softening.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My best shaves happen when the ARKO! is so thin, it’s more of a lightly poisoned water than a lather per se. I add water to the lather until I stop feeling the soap dry my face. At that point, it’s crazy slick and non drying and time to scalp the stubble.

La Toja - if you want to stay with a stick format

Haslinger Schafmilch - Incredible soap that's easy to lather.

Stirling (mutton base, being as you're not excessively concerned with scent) - Phenomenal stuff. The post shave will wow you.

Maybe these in puck form or stick?

Just got a 4 puck value pack. Black is up - the rest went in storage. Haven't used anything else since it arrived, that would be all week.
What color is your Gold label puck? I also just got the four pack and tried the Gold. It was probably the worst soap I've used. The black did fine. I later noticed that the gold puck is a different color from the rest and it got me wondering if it's from a bad batch. My gold is a more translucent gray while the others are a more solid white. I've only tried the gold and black once each so far.

What color is your Gold label puck? I also just got the four pack and tried the Gold. It was probably the worst soap I've used. The black did fine. I later noticed that the gold puck is a different color from the rest and it got me wondering if it's from a bad batch. My gold is a more translucent gray while the others are a more solid white. I've only tried the gold and black once each so far.
Same as yours. It is intentional containing charcoal. Check out IB's write up it tells you what and why. Don't discount it yet, might need a little dialing in since it so different. I always hydrate any new soap until sheen and adjust from there on subsequent shaves as needed. My thinking is that lets the soap teach me how to use it.

Will give a sample scoop of Gold a try when I get over the fascination with the Black, whenever that will be! I bet Gold needs more water than your used too because of the charcoal, but that's just a WAG.

Last edited:
Same as yours. It is intentional containing charcoal. Check out IB's write up it tells you what and why. Don't discount it yet, might need a little dialing in since it so different. I always hydrate any new soap until sheen and adjust from there on subsequent shaves as needed. My thinking is that lets the soap teach me how to use it.

Will give a sample scoop of Gold a try when I get over the fascination with the Black, whenever that will be! I bet Gold needs more water than your used too because of the charcoal, but that's just a WAG.
Thanks. I didn't know it had charcoal in it. I just figured it was translucent and had a gray color because of the black container. I treated it the same as my other hard pucks and the lather was very airy and "brittle." I load from the puck and I'll give it another try with more water on the brush. The black and green are the better scents in my opinion.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

Thanks. I didn't know it had charcoal in it. I just figured it was translucent and had a gray color because of the black container. I treated it the same as my other hard pucks and the lather was very airy and "brittle." I load from the puck and I'll give it another try with more water on the brush. The black and green are the better scents in my opinion.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.
Try removing the puck from the container and using it like a shave stick. These are good soaps, but they get much better if loaded heavy.

Baby oil gel applied before showering and shaving helped me quite a bit but I also use a balm and moisturizer every day.

Most soaps will be better than Arko at hydrating the face.

Get yourself some Stirling samples. Scots Pine and Varen scents are mutton base and will really open your eyes, but any of their soaps will rock

Hi all,

I have been using arko stick in the past month and I really love it. In particularly I love the easy lathering and the slickness it provides.
I am definitely going to use arko for at least half of my shaves. My only issue is that it leaves my skin a bit dry.

I was wondering whether there is anything that as slick or even slicker than Arko, but it is also good in hydrating the skin. I don't mind whether it is soap or cream. I don't mind about the fragrance, I would prefer it if it lathers easily.

thank you for your time and your consideration!!

Kind regards,

Nick
A bit dry?!
It leaves my skin as dry as a desert. And there is irritaion.
Shh! Don't tell FarmerTan and Owen. They are probably going to hate me for saying it. :lol:

Top Bottom