What's new

Better than arko?

Hi all,

I have been using arko stick in the past month and I really love it. In particularly I love the easy lathering and the slickness it provides.
I am definitely going to use arko for at least half of my shaves. My only issue is that it leaves my skin a bit dry.

I was wondering whether there is anything that as slick or even slicker than Arko, but it is also good in hydrating the skin. I don't mind whether it is soap or cream. I don't mind about the fragrance, I would prefer it if it lathers easily.

thank you for your time and your consideration!!

Kind regards,

Nick

If you love Arko then continue to use it in good health and buy a cheap balm- many people like the Nivea product for that you can buy it at many drug stores or supermarkets. Though there are so many soaps that will do what Arko does and even more. But if you like it, use it.

You can doctor up your Arko to make it less drying. I sometimes grate a stick into an empty container, then add a couple tablespoons of glycerin and maybe some aftershave. I've never found any aftershave that overpowers Arko's scent though. Anyway, stir it up well, then let it sit a few days to firm up and use it like a puck. Works pretty well.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As you're in the UK I'd recommend the blue Wilkinson Sword soap stick. Not the little blue plastic bowl; the stick. Also, I know the Palmolive stick is increasingly difficult or impossible to find in the UK, but it is a very good soap.

At a few quid more you might try Haslinger or Mitchell Wool Fat, as others have suggested.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi all,

I have been using arko stick in the past month and I really love it. In particularly I love the easy lathering and the slickness it provides.
I am definitely going to use arko for at least half of my shaves. My only issue is that it leaves my skin a bit dry.

I was wondering whether there is anything that as slick or even slicker than Arko, but it is also good in hydrating the skin. I don't mind whether it is soap or cream. I don't mind about the fragrance, I would prefer it if it lathers easily.

Kind regards,

Nick
When you use a shave stick, it immediately starts pulling moisture out of your face. That stops when you start applying water to build a lather. You can rub a bit of Nivea or other moisturizer before rubbing the stick on your face or after the shave or you could press the stick into a mug or bowl and it will be hydrated before you lather your face.

While I get okay shave results with Arko, I've gotten great shaves with just about every other shave soap I have tried. I'd be willing to admit it's possible that I did not make my lather with the Arko properly. However, I've used the same (or similar) methods for other soaps. That said, I could probably dial in my lather making with Arko a little better.

Still, I've made excellent (for me, of course, YMMV) slick lathers with, among others, TOBS (soap), Tabac, Pre de Provence 63, Captain's Choice Venture (soap), Proraso croaps (red, white, and green), and Haslinger Aloe Vera. The key for excellent slickness, IME, is to find that proper balance in hydration so that the lather is wet enough but also cushiony. That's mainly a matter of dialing in the soap, I believe. (Again, I'd happily admit to needing to dial in Arko better).

Last edited:
Hi all,

Kind regards,

Nick
Hi Nick, my suggestions isn't a stick but anything by Stirling meets your critica my friend. Very slick and smooth. There are sales right now at Stirling's for $8.75! So you can try some at a discount
Have a great shave! Ron Eastman Lynn Massachusetts

Top Bottom