What's new

Better than a DE? Yes

On Sat I had the best shave of my life and it was from a straight- a plastic Wapi in fact. Silky-smooth with no irritation and better than any of the 12 safety razors I've tried (all of which have had a Feather in them). I'd suspected that those members trumping the innate superiority of straights might just not have had their DE routine quite down. I now know this is not the case. It was quite an effort for me to get to this stage, but well worth it!

No liars here, but a lot of deluded people possibly? :001_smile I did notice the difference between a Wapi's Henckel 5 and a more usual full hollow. Maybe this helped? I used my Ebony-scaled Dovo this morning and it was very nearly as good but didnt seem to have the tension in the blade which I quite liked.

I felt left out, not owning one. :tongue_sm The scales are very shoddy, in a funny "medical" colour, but the blade itself seems as good as anyone'd need. Its the definition of unpretentious and teamed with my Men-U boarbrush and some MWF comprises the aesthetic I've been looking for for ages:- absolutely no show but absolutely no compromise in performance. That's a tough remit nowadays.

I did notice the difference between a Wapi's Henckel 5 and a more usual full hollow. Maybe this helped?

Possibly. It's pretty common for beginners to find it easier to shave with heavier, less flexible razors for the first 6-12 months. Don't sell your full hollows though, because it's also common for former-beginners to discover that their full hollows can shave more comfortably than their heavy stiff razors.

I suppose its like all the guitar-stuff I've owned over the years; amps and effects and guitars etc. If I could go back in time and just pick up 3 maybe 4 bits of kit that I stupidly let go, I'd be a happy player for the rest of my life.

On Sat I had the best shave of my life and it was from a straight- a plastic Wapi in fact. Silky-smooth with no irritation and better than any of the 12 safety razors I've tried (all of which have had a Feather in them). I'd suspected that those members trumping the innate superiority of straights might just not have had their DE routine quite down. I now know this is not the case. It was quite an effort for me to get to this stage, but well worth it!

What do you mean by plastic Wapi? Original Wapi razors are all steel.

Possibly. It's pretty common for beginners to find it easier to shave with heavier, less flexible razors for the first 6-12 months. Don't sell your full hollows though, because it's also common for former-beginners to discover that their full hollows can shave more comfortably than their heavy stiff razors.

+1

Of course we are not deluded! After all, many or most of us were DE shavers before becoming straight shavers.

Oh we are, just not about shave quality :roll:.

Straights really do rule. I hope I speak for all of us here when I say there are few things better than a S-N pass with a nice sharp blade across stubble. It feels awesome.

Tstebinsb,
There are a few Wapis going around which were made with plastic scales. The blades are the same tho, from what I gather.

I remember when I had my first DE shave, I did half with my Straight, and half with a DE.

Then later that day, I asked my girfriend to tell me which one she liked the best. And she picked the side I've shaved with the straight.

So as you see even the ladies like the feel of a good Straight razor shave.

:cool:good going steve, I'm waiting for my wapi stainless scale type, should be here any day now can't wait.
I've never used a straight but de shaved most my shaving life, any tips?:blush:

Oh we are, just not about shave quality :roll:.

Straights really do rule. I hope I speak for all of us here when I say there are few things better than a S-N pass with a nice sharp blade across stubble. It feels awesome.

True dat. All dat. In particular, the notion that 20, 60 or 180 straight are not enough for one lifetime.

I don't have my straight technique under control yet, but I am already (15 shaves into it) getting to the level I would on a bad day with a DE. I am completely convinced that the straight will easily surpass a good day with a DE based on the spots here and there on my face which are still nice and smooth from this morning's shave.

Top Bottom