What's new

Better stropping

When I got my TI straight, there was a diagram showing how to strop. I have been doing it this way since I started straight shaving and haven't ever really noticed much difference; guess I was just doing it because you're supposed to do it but this morning, WOW. After my WTG pass I decided to give it a few laps on my Red Latigo with a little more downward pressure before doing the ATG pass. HUGE difference! Usually the ATG pass is kinda uncomfortable, not bad enough that I don't want to do it, just wish it was smoother. That extra pressure made it totally comfortable, just like the WTG pass.

As long as you make sure the spine stays on the strop at all time, you can apply slight torque to the razor so the edge receives some pressure. If you are using a hanging strop, be sure you hold it taut, but not tight. There should be a slight bow in the strop as you move the razor along. Only with experience will you learn the feel that gives you the right torque, tension and pressure.

I increase pressure by letting the strop slack a little. Loose strop mean you need to keep your strokes super light too. I have always been perplexed by this video of a professional barber using both slack and pressure.

I increase pressure by letting the strop slack a little. Loose strop mean you need to keep your strokes super light too. I have always been perplexed by this video of a professional barber using both slack and pressure.
I can literally see him rolling the edge.....

I can literally see him rolling the edge.....

There are times it appears he is lifting the spine off the strop. :nono::nono:

It funny, here a Barber with nearly 60 yrs experience who was renowned for his straight shaves.
No YMMV here eh?
I'm sure everyone produces much better edges then him.:nonod:

Top Bottom