What's new

Better stands and cases?

So, for a long-term storage case:
  • Fishing tackle box?
  • Pelican-style hard case?
  • What else?
Tackle box is good but akso cigar boxes can be used; add a velvet lining and balsa or ply separators for a a nice storage solution.
I was at Walmart and found these plastic storage boxes for under 3 bucks apiece. Each box will easily fit nine razors, and I'm all in for under $6. Not "the best" but a great solution and better than cardboard.
Ideal and would look even better with a velvet lining.

What are the better stands and cases for DE safety razors? Most of my cardboard boxes are pretty much nearing their end of life so, I wondered about a small fishing tackle case possibly for those used less often. Or, maybe a hard case similar to a "Pelican" with pick-n-pull foam so I can just drop them handle down and then seal out the moisture, dust, etc. from long-term storage.

I would like a good DE safety razor stand that doesn't break the bank for a razor or two and, a better quality crush-resistant case for something in a suitcase or soft travel bag. Or, am I best off getting a small router and trying to 'carve' a case and add a couple of pins or dowels that I can secure closed for general protection?

I should also note that I ordered a Gilette WWII knockoff case as a travel option in my airport carry-on bag so, I think that option is covered for the moment while I consider better longer-term storage options. What I don't have is a good stand that will keep my razor head 'up' so it will stay dry and be ready for the next shave.

So, for a long-term storage case:
  • Fishing tackle box?
  • Pelican-style hard case?
  • What else?
For a better quality razor stand:
  • What?
  • Where?
  • At what cost?
And travel hard cases for soft bags and air travel checked bags:
  • Custom milled-out wood options?
  • Some sort of travel-specific plastic travel case?
  • Something else?
This is my box for 70+ razors

Attachments

• P1221873.JPG
    P1221873.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
That 5007 is the one I'm using but may need another. The one I have is the 5007ZM which is about $6 and some change now. It is a clear smoke color and called "max" but otherwise looks identical to the 5007. I repurposed some foam from Timeless razor box and others to line the razor compartments and the razor's can sit on side of heads and sink into the foam and not move around with lid shut. They hold a lot and you can practice your puzzle skills filling them efficiently.

I'm bumping this because while it seems the display and storage questions were well covered, OP's travel question went unanswered.

What are we doing with our razors when we travel? Do they just bounce around unprotected in a Dopp bag, or stored in some sort of case, or broken down and put in a pill bottle, or what?

My travel toiletries bag has a zippered compartment that fits an assembled DE perfectly. If you want added protection against scratches and marks, just throw it in a zip-lock baggy first, maybe wrap in an eye glass cleaning cloth too. Easy peasy.

I'm bumping this because while it seems the display and storage questions were well covered, OP's travel question went unanswered.

What are we doing with our razors when we travel? Do they just bounce around unprotected in a Dopp bag, or stored in some sort of case, or broken down and put in a pill bottle, or what?
proxy.php
YAQI Double Edge Safety Razor Bag Canvas Travel Bag

I have this which recently arrived but, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I also picked up a couple of the Pelican style "micro" cases to try with some yet to be purchased foam to be cut to fit my razor. For $8 delivered, it seems reasonable for Dopp bag or something similar with a little protection from big hits.

I'm testing their $8 razor stand right now. It is made for ~16mm handles so, with my Muhle Rocca it is working well but, with my Edwin Yagger and its ~14mm handle it tilts a lot but, so far hasn't tipped over. The finish is a little odd sort of like a silver paint and the base is weighted pretty good. I forget the exact specs for the stand cover and weight but, think I remember it being aluminum with a zinc weight.

Do your razors stand straight up in them? Or lean a bit to one side?

Just find one with a bore compatible with your handle, whether it's aluminum, stainless, or acrylic.

I have one of the "ink well" aluminum versions and, they stand up tall and proud with my thicker handles. With something like a "ball-end" Gillette, it lets it lean over a lot.

Do your razors stand straight up in them? Or lean a bit to one side?
The RazoRock "Inkwell" stand's bore is larger then the diameter of the RR "Barber Pole" handle (14mm on butt-end), so, it doesn't fit tightly. But, it's adequate for my purposes.

FYI, both my RR GC 68-P and GC 84-P will 'free-stand' on their handle base.

b/r

ON_1

Attachments

• 20230122_132112.jpg
    20230122_132112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
The RazoRock "Inkwell" stand's bore is larger then the diameter of the RR "Barber Pole" handle (14mm on butt-end), so, it doesn't fit tightly. But, it's adequate for my purposes.

FYI, both my RR GC 68-P and GC 84-P will 'free-stand' on their handle base.

b/r

ON_1
These! Being made of acrylic they won't scratch or damage any handle, they look great and are inexpensive. Only have one currently and will be getting more!

@sidpost @Obetron Rex

It's interesting, the description for the steel base cautions that a handle smaller than 14mm will cant to one side, while the acrylic one doesn't. @Old Navy_1 also confirms this saying that his handles can free stand (which I interpret to mean the handles don't lean and touch the side of the holder).

I actually prefer the aesthetics of the acrylic one. Compound that with the benefits mentioned by @Cafebarian and I will definitely be purchasing it with a razor.

If the "ink well" is taller, it will cant, or lean, less. This may be what was mentioned with the Acrylic version.

This picture I see suggests it is twice as tall as my metal version.

Pelican-style hard case?

Just want to reply to the waterproof/air tight case idea. Based on my extensive use of Pelican and similar cases in kayaking and boating in general, unless a Pelican case is frequently opened, the gear inside will suffer from even minuscule amounts of retained moisture and the ideal quiet/dark environment for mold growth.

A razor case with some air circulation is far superior.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
RR makes a nice heavy stainless inkwell stand with variable widths bored into it. I think it fits 10 to 16mm handles if IRC. It fits all the handles I have and they stand straight. Around 12 or 14 bucks.
Those RR variable stands work on my Merkur Progress perfectly. The little plastic knob fits in there perfectly and the razor doesn't wobble.

I follow the KISS approach. No, that's not the one involving heavy metal music & makeup.

KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID. I have a wooden test tube rack for my razors, & a few pill organisers for any razor heads not currently paired w/handles. Inexpensive, & keeps them out of the way.

As always, YMMVW,
-Z

(which I interpret to mean the handles don't lean and touch the side of the holder).
That is also true. But, what I was trying to say is the Game Changers will 'free stand', by themselves (no stand) on the base of their handles. I read that 'early' versions of the RR handles weren't machined flat and you couldn't stand them up. Hope that clarifies my statement?

b/r

ON_1

Top Bottom