What's new

Better shave with Badger

Didn't change anything other than the brush (used boars all my life). Using a TracII, nothing fancy, VDH soap or Proraso. I'm getting better, closer shaves.

What's up with that. I thought the badger brush was all about luxury. Color me confused, but hey, why argue with success. Also, this thing is a lather factory. And this isn't even a great badger brush (AOS "Genuine").

:blink:

Dunno. Haven't used a badger brush in well over a year.

I have three boars; one Omega and two Semogues.

I have a badger brush sitting in a drawer that I have never used.

Hmmm....maybe I should take it for a ride.

I think they make better lather I'm afraid. I want to be a boar lover as well, and used an Omega daily for 6 months. My Chubby 1 is the best £60 I've ever spent.

I agree on two points with Ignatius. I love my Chubby 1, and I do believe they make better lather.

I like my Omega Boar, but ONLY for face lathering and when you compare it to the Chubby, it's really not a competition. But then again, there's a huge price gap. The Omega's pretty great for what you pay.

Mason, you think it's holding more warm water and that's helping the closeness of the shave? There's definitely a stark difference in the amount of water and lather my badgers hold over my Omega.

I agree on two points with Ignatius. I love my Chubby 1, and I do believe they make better lather.

I like my Omega Boar, but ONLY for face lathering and when you compare it to the Chubby, it's really not a competition. But then again, there's a huge price gap. The Omega's pretty great for what you pay.

Mason, you think it's holding more warm water and that's helping the closeness of the shave? There's definitely a stark difference in the amount of water and lather my badgers hold over my Omega.

I don't know. All I know is that before I know it, this brush is brimming with lather. And I don't even use as much product (I've been mostly face-lathering so far). And, the lather does seem I dunno.. richer? if that's the word to use. More dense? Further research is required..

Last edited:
I think, as a category, badger brushes tend to be easier to use for making better lather more consistently. However, I also think they can tend to over-whip lather and create and airy-ness (think meringue) when I'd rather have a very dense, wet mix. Boars, I think tend to get into that sweet spot really well. I can do it with my badger just fine (and face lathering as opposed to bowl lathering tends to meliorate that problem), but I still reach for boar more often than not.

Badgers are about luxury for me, but I don't usually detect a huge difference in performance between a good boar and a good badger. But I know my way around a boar.

I have started with a boar brush (Semogue 1305) and then tried a cheap badger for the first (Tweezerman). Noticed a big difference. And then when I got my 2 band badger, the difference was even greater. I think I will stick with 2 band badger for a while :laugh:

I can make lather with either one, unless is an olive oil based soap. At the moment, the badgers are captive in the shelves and the boars getting all the fun.

I have the AOS Genuine also. I use it only as my travel brush since it is small. It has almost no backbone, since it is not very tightly packed.

I asked AOS about this brush last time I was in there. They said it is a mixture of badger and synthetic. It is the brush they include in their basic kits. It is not intended to last very long.

I have started with a boar brush (Semogue 1305) and then tried a cheap badger for the first (Tweezerman). Noticed a big difference. And then when I got my 2 band badger, the difference was even greater. I think I will stick with 2 band badger for a while :laugh:

I think the Semogue 1305 is a much better brush than the Tweezerman badger. No comparison. If I had a Tweezerman and you had the Semogue, I'd give you the Tweezerman plus 20 bucks to get the Semogue.

Badgers hold more water and are probably better for creams, and I still use them, but a Semogue boar swirled on Proraso, Cella, Valobra or MWF produces a lather you can't easily dismiss.

When i started the DE shaving journey i was using an Omega boar and was satisfied with it, until i ordered a Silvertip brush from China on Ebay, i didn't paid much for it but, wow, what a difference, i will never go back to boar.

Top Bottom