What's new

Better options for Injector blades today?

This thread is a reasonable place to start as noted in the sticky but, it is from 2012:

I see Personna "hair shaper" blades listed a lot but, wonder what the deal is with those. Can they be loaded into an injector dispenser? Or are they just specialty blades for barbers and hair stylists?

It looks like the injector blades aren't very widely available so, getting some in the near term cost-effectively probably isn't possible. Personna seem to be in really short supply as well so, I'm left with the Orange-Yellow Schick blades which I think are from China.

Before I get some of the Schick from Amazon, am I overlooking something else without a huge shipping surcharge? Next time I buy from Connaught, I'll throw some Personna in the cart but, they are currently out of stock and I don't have any pending orders from them either.

Are Personna, Schick, and Parker blades the only options today?

TIA,
Sid

Supply Shaving has injector blades. Those in the black injector are good. I understand they are made in Japan.

Cost effective is relative. They are not as cheap per blade as some DE blades. They should last quite a bit longer than DE blades helping to make them comparatively more cost effective.

Since my current preference is to use injector razors, the Schick blades are a better priced option than DE blades, though I do like the half blade Leaf Twig

Supply white box are USA made and the black box are Japan made. A little spendy at ~$1/blade but, a lower "free shipping" price point so, they look like a good option for me.

In terms of longevity and life-cycle costs, not a huge factor to me but, the single-edge blades are thicker and chatter less. This also tends to give them a better lifespan since they tend to shave into the blade more with the shallower angle they normally use. DE blades can be dirt cheap but, some only last ~3 shaves for me whereas others last >10. For travel, I think the injector might be a really good option for me too than carrying additional DE blades.

If my eBay Schick experience is good, I might also opt for one of the Supply SE razors or something similar. I am currently using larger head DE razors at the moment so, I was contemplating a Razorrock Lupo for something more nimble or possibly just sticking to my old Gillette DE but, these Injector razors certainly carry a lot of favor with some long-time shavers so I am taking the plunge to test the waters myself!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like vintage Schick Plus Platinum injectors .. but once those run out the Schicks in the yellow package are sharpest, the Personna's (and all the other house brands you see in plastic injectors) are ok, and seem to have a decent lifespan. The latter share that plastic injector with the Supply blades, neither of which I've found much good about.

The Hair Shaper blades are a different format, shorthand for which at least around here is "AC" blades, owing to their use in the Feather Company's Artist Club razors. There's some who like the AC, I use mine occasionally ..

^^^^^ what he said! I can get the Schicks at my local pharmacy, so you might look around if you haven't already.

This thread is a reasonable place to start as noted in the sticky but, it is from 2012:

I see Personna "hair shaper" blades listed a lot but, wonder what the deal is with those. Can they be loaded into an injector dispenser? Or are they just specialty blades for barbers and hair stylists?

It looks like the injector blades aren't very widely available so, getting some in the near term cost-effectively probably isn't possible. Personna seem to be in really short supply as well so, I'm left with the Orange-Yellow Schick blades which I think are from China.

Before I get some of the Schick from Amazon, am I overlooking something else without a huge shipping surcharge? Next time I buy from Connaught, I'll throw some Personna in the cart but, they are currently out of stock and I don't have any pending orders from them either.

TIA,
Sid
I’ve bought several dispensers of the Personna hair shaper blades over the years, they are very easy to load into a keyed dispenser. Lately I’ve just been buying the Personna injectors from Connaught Shaving, basically the same price as the hair shaper blades but already in a keyed dispenser. The Schick blades are very good but I prefer the Personna blades.

@Quaznoid - what's your local pharmacy? I checked our Walgreen's and CVS - no injectors. Wal-Mart has them, but via 3rd party sellers. I suppose it's possible some local convenience store may have them, but they typically don't have any online sites.

@HoosierTrooper - what difference in characteristics have you experienced between the Yellow card Schicks and the Personnas?
To me the Personna blades feel sharper than the Schicks, and they’re less expensive. I’ve been using them a long time, they used to be readily available in grocery and drug stores but Personna decided to stop selling them retail and concentrated on sales to medical supply companies. In 2010 member brianw organized a group buy from Electron Microscopy Sciences (emsdiasum.com) that was a big hit, a lot of guys ordered some and were very happy with the Personna blades back then, and I still am today!

Those kinds of things really made B&B fun.

Follow up:

Connaught Shaving has treated me well and is a bit cheaper on a 60£ order. Personna Injectors are currently "out of stock' but, last time they were ~$0.19 a blade delivered.

They also have the Japanese Schick Injectors, Twin Injectors, and a good selection of AC blades. I got my GEMs there at a great price too!

Shaving.IE and Connaught Shaving have both treated me well with some razor blades, soaps, and a couple of razors. Free shipping across the Atlantic is easy enough but, you may need to add a soap puck to get free shipping if all you need are razor blades which isn't a bad thing since some of the soaps are so much cheaper over there than we see in the USA.

Connaught (UK) for Personna injectors (and Gem SEs) for me. I can always find enough to buy to qualify for for free shipping.

I have used vintage injector blades as well. Personnas are not a step down, at least not for a tough skinned individual like myself.

TIA,
Sid
If you happen to have a local K J's Market near you they carry the schick blades...

Top Bottom