What's new

Better boar brushes

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will echo the positive sentiments shared for semogue and zenith. I personally have not cared for any of the omegas I’ve tried.

Semogue seems to be very detailed in the bristle orientation and selection in their brushes. They become quite soft after a fair bit of use and the knots tend to really bloom outward.

Zenith brushes seem broken in almost straight out of the box. Their bristles seem to be finer than other brands. The tips are already split right out of the box, in my experience. I prefer my zeniths to all others. If I can make a suggestion for a great starting point in trying zenith boar brushes, the B2 aka B03-A26 is practically the perfect brush. It is a mid height loft and a dense knot with very soft and fine hairs. I admit that I am equally as enthusiastic about the 41mm lofted super scrubby as well as the 64-70mm lofted brushes. The taller lofted brushes are the best bowl lathering brushes around, IMO.
Are Zenith brushes expensive? They do sound nice, but I have enough brushes to last me til I die!

Are Zenith brushes expensive? They do sound nice, but I have enough brushes to last me til I die!
Depends where you source them. Yourshaving will get one to your US Doorstep for about 50% of the cost to buy from the gentleshave. They will each have a different selection. If you want to get the super scrubby configuration, you have to get them from gentleshave.

If you picked 2 or 3 from yourshaving, and tack on the shipping you will be at the same ($40ish) outlay as you would for one from gentleshave.

I typically buy a couple brushes and a handful of the nicer soaps from yourshaving and have received free shipping. I don’t anticipate you will wish to spend as much.

The popular B03-A26 or B2 can be had for about $11usd before shipping from Spain.

They're very reasonable, similar to Omega, IF you buy from a European shop. There is an American website where the prices are much more expensive. As a U.S. resident, you get a discount since Value Added Tax (VAT) is excluded. There's even a 10% off discount code if you search around.

Last edited:
Are there better boar brushes than proraso omega boar brush? If so what ones

I cannot understand the concept of "better" in boar brushes. What is it that you want from a brush that the Proraso doesn't satisfy? A handle made of "better" material? More or less backbone? More or less dense knot? Less of the typical "broom" feel that the Omegas have?

There are a lot of brushes in the market with different characteristics. If you are curious, join us in the rabbit hole. :D

I would say that two proraso boar brushes are not the same also. At least this is my experience.

Mondial boar brushes are nice, a bit softer and less backbone.

I need to try a Zenith boar brush in the future, I guess.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Have a bunch of Boar brushes. In my opinion, the Omega Jade from Connaught is the best.
20200528_151934~3.jpg

20200816_162222~2.jpg20200708_162358~2.jpg20200624_155007~2.jpg20200528_151934~2.jpg

I picked up a Badger and Blade Essential boar brush when I visited L.A. and West Coast Shaving several years ago (think the store has moved since). I wasn't expecting a lot from it as my only experience with boar brushes at that point was an el cheapo from the local drug store, which was so scratchy I couldn't do anything other than painting motions on my face. I was very pleasantly surprised with the B&B as it was a good balance of not too soft bristles and backbone, and made tons of lather with all of my soaps and creams. Provided a great exfoliation as well in to the bargain.

Don't think these are made anymore but I remember hearing that these are basically a high quality Omega knot with a nice modern handle, so if you were to pick up one of the more top end Omegas with a longish knot you might get something thats close to the essential.

Thanks,

R

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wow, If I was wondering what the split ends of a broken in boar looks like (I was) that picture answers. How long did it take to break in?

A couple of months - not that long.

I kick-started the break-in process with the "immerse the brush (up to the handle) in cold water in the refrigerator for three days" process - took it out every 24 hours, shook the water out, "strop dried" it on a clean/dry towel, topped off the water and stuck the brush back in the cup in the fridge (made for some interesting chuckles from my Bride ;)).

I have no clue if this helped or not, but the brush sure broke in quickly and nicely. :)

A couple of months - not that long.

I kick-started the break-in process with the "immerse the brush (up to the handle) in cold water in the refrigerator for three days" process - took it out every 24 hours, shook the water out, "strop dried" it on a clean/dry towel, topped off the water and stuck the brush back in the cup in the fridge (made for some interesting chuckles from my Bride ;)).

I have no clue if this helped or not, but the brush sure broke in quickly and nicely. :)
i used the same break in with the same result. The ends split very nicely. A wonderful brush right from the get go.

To me, the Omega 49 Pro is the best brush. I wish the handle was solid resin, but the brush itself is what I judge every other brush against. Badger, Boar, synthetic, horse or any other material you can imagine. For me, the 49 pro is the benchmark.

Semogues are also glorius, of which I own quite a few. I have a Mondial, which is nice. I got rid of all my zeniths, as I don't particularly like the way their knots are tied.

That's my 3 and half cents.

Note that I am an unabashed Boar fan. I like my shaving brushes like I like my.....wait, this is a gentlemen's forum. Sorry about that. :biggrin1:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I got curious about boar brushes and so grabbed a Wilkinson Sword cheapie from my local grocery store. I see it's made in Germany. It's breaking in nicely but of course one wonders if one could have "gotten more." I have a Semogue (SOC) on the way with an impulse Simpson's Trafalgar T2 thrown in. [shrug] I've got an Omega 10005 around here somewhere, probably it's the equivalent of the W-S because I don't think it cost me over $15.

The W-S boar isn't bad. I'm getting really good lathers with it. My old badger just sits. I've got another synthetic besides the Simpson, a RazoRock Beehive which is a real honker of a knot although quite soft.

O.H.

I love my Zenith boar. But, I have an empty handle and have been eyeing Turn N Shave's shoat knots.

I have enough brushes and yet, reading this thread and some other one, you guys talked me into trying an SOC - just purchased from WCS. All my boars are vintage and aren't all that and this will be my first Semogue and wood handle.

So thanks to the OP and all you B&B enablers. :)

-jim

I got curious about boar brushes and so grabbed a Wilkinson Sword cheapie from my local grocery store. I see it's made in Germany. It's breaking in nicely but of course one wonders if one could have "gotten more." I have a Semogue (SOC) on the way with an impulse Simpson's Trafalgar T2 thrown in. [shrug] I've got an Omega 10005 around here somewhere, probably it's the equivalent of the W-S because I don't think it cost me over $15.

The W-S boar isn't bad. I'm getting really good lathers with it. My old badger just sits. I've got another synthetic besides the Simpson, a RazoRock Beehive which is a real honker of a knot although quite soft.

O.H.
I think the Omega 10005 is much better than the W-S boar, but I'm partial to Omega boar brushes.

I love boar brushes, and use them exclusively. I have four, and while I love all of them, I think my absolute favorite is one that really needs to be reissued: the B&B Essential Boar. It's a good, comfortable handle to hold, with a terrific knot in it. As much as I love my other boars (Semogue 2000, Semogue 620, and Omega 10049), the B&B Essential is a total winner, and I only wish I'd bought more colors when they were available (though I do enjoy my purple one).

Top Bottom