What's new

Better boar brushes

I only have one boar brush. It is from Tatara made by Semogue. I am really pleased with mine.

Screenshot_20211116-185906_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought a few 24 mm Yaqi boar bristle brushes this year and really enjoy using them. I use the cold water in the fridge for 60-72 hr treatment and it helped to start the split ends of the hairs. I take them out of the fridge and towel dry them and right back in for a couple of times per day and it did not harm the bristles and my brush is 75 to 80 % broke in IMO. Daily use also works but takes a lot longer to break a boar brush in. The Red Ferrari brush was a defective brush sale and they warned of broken and lose bristles, it seems alright now after about 20 uses. I not totally sold on bleached all white boar hairs.
Yaqi is not known for it's boar brushes but I gave them a try and they seem similar in face feel to my Omega boar brush.
(L) Yaqi 24mm viper boar bristle :thumbsup: ...........................(R)Yaqi 24mm Ferrari boar bristle, loss bristles for the first 3-4 cleanings.
Yaqi #1 Viper 24mm boar brush (3).jpg
Yaqi boar brush broke in after 2 days after 2 days in fridge 2.6.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Are there better boar brushes than proraso omega boar brush? If so what ones
Good, Better, Best. Can only be determined by the user. You have to buy it and try it. My two favourite boars you might hate. By looking at them if there was a draw and you thought you might like one. Living with it and using it would be the only way for you to know.
I‘ve used Semogue and Omega as well as setting some boar knots. I prefer boar brushes. The Zenith’s build quality, and fine boar hair make them my favourite. You have to live with them to make that determination. The large brush is now being used exclusively and most definitely the wrong brush for many. 31mm knot 57mm loft.

FCFF90FD-E61C-41F1-B3DE-D5505027CFB1.jpeg

Save yourself some time and money and just get the following boats now instead of working your way up to them just to eventually buy them anyway

Semogue Owners Club
Omega 011824 (Jade)
A Zenith in the size you like

Get a bigger Zenith than you would, say, an Omega. So if you like 22mm Omegas, get a 24mm Zenith.

If you really one want to buy one brush, I recommend the SoC. It's the best boar on the market.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good question. I'd like to know as well. My Proraso boar brush is one of my all-time favorite brush. Haven't come across a better boar brush as yet.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

+1 I have owned a couple of Semogue's but I just like Omega's line of boar hair. The tips split, but the knot seems to retain it's shape better without the huge frazzled look of blooming that Semogue's seem to do. The original Proraso brush is a pretty big knot and I like my knots and handles smaller.

I only own one favorite Omega boar brush now, the #10029 'Baby Pro.'

https://images.bonanzastatic.com/afu/images/2600/3478/09/s-l1600.jpg

I purchased a Thater boar and an ABC boar both were pretty spendy for a boar. The ABC is a very nice brush that looks a lot like a Zenith. The Thater was a nice idea but mine had terrible hair, just a nasty brush. I'd be hard pressed to spend much more money than a big Omega or Zenith for a brush. I'm not Semogue fan but could use an 1800 without a lot of complaint. I love the big Omega knot.

Reactions: GNR
Are there better boar brushes than proraso omega boar brush? If so what ones
You cannot go wrong with the Proraso Pro Boar. It's a perfect combo of knot size, loft, handle dimensions, balance and knot quality.

So, you'll need to be more specific (in your own mind) about what you want from a "better" boar brush.

1. You could try varying the knot sizes within the Omega family - long knots - 20102, 10098, 10048, 10049, medium knots - 11147, small knots - 10051,
2. You could try looking for premium handles - The Thater brushes seem to offer them (didn't interest me), there's a premium Jade handled Omega
3. You could look at other manufacturers - Zenith, Semogue (I own multiple brushes from both, but somehow only like the Omega knots - must be something about how they treat the bristles)

Top Bottom