What's new

Better blades and places to get them?

I have a GEM G-bar inbound. I need to think about getting some blades. I realize there aren't many varieties so, if it is "sole source" right now, I can deal with that.

Any blades to specifically look for or avoid? Where are the better places to buy them? I should note I am debating some shave soaps at the moment from either the UK or Ireland so, in addition to domestic USA sources I am also open to something only available on that side of the Atlantic or maybe from one of the former British commonwealths like India.

Any tips I should think about as well? I'm assuming shave soaps and prep is similar to my Double Edge razors. The GEM G-bar appears to be one of the milder options so, it should pretty easy for me to figure it out, or at least I hope so!
:shaving:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Personna GEM stainless coated with PTFE are usually the blades of choice if buying a 100 pack.. Uncoated stainless for packs of 10. For a single 100 pack, I’ve seen ‘em on the ‘bay for $20.50usd shipped. For more than one 100 pack, Connaught’s is usually the best game in town. If you want carbon, www.razorbladeco.com has a variety - triple facet are for face and double facet aren’t.

I like a carbon steel blade myself but find it really hard to get them. So using the link above which would be the best carbon blades to buy and shave with?

thombrogan

It’s at the edge. The triple facet edges have two bevels behind the edge. Double facet edges have one. I believe; perhaps erroneously; the triple facet edges have smoother/finer grind marks just behind the edge and that would make the shave more comfortable than using the much more affordable utility GEM blades.

It’s at the edge. The triple facet edges have two bevels behind the edge. Double facet edges have one. I believe; perhaps erroneously; the triple facet edges have smoother/finer grind marks just behind the edge and that would make the shave more comfortable than using the much more affordable utility GEM blades.
How do I know I have a set of the "3 facet" edges on the blades I'm looking at? When I Google those blades, I get tons of 'industrial oriented' blades returned in the search.

Connaught Shaving it is for a set of blades with my next order from them for shave soaps and related stuff.

thombrogan

How do I know I have a set of the "3 facet" edges on the blades I'm looking at? When I Google those blades, I get tons of 'industrial oriented' blades returned in the search.

If you go here and click on the blades, it will tell you. If it doesn’t say at all, safely assume it’s two-facet and possibly not suitable for a comfortable shave.

Or resign yourself to the Personna GEM Stainless (coated or uncoated) to remove all guesswork.

I inferred a desire for variety from you that may not have been there. Personna GEM Stainless Coated needs no guesswork — main or only GEM blade for most of us — go get yours from Connaught’s with next order as you stated and you’ll be all set.

I am looking to try a variety but, I also don't want to end up with blades that are a waste of my time and energy.

My first goal though is to get some reliable blades so I have a good foundation to build on. That way if I get some inappropriate industrial blades I will recognize it early on and not waste my time cleaning up a bloody mess wondering what I did wrong! 🩸❓🩸:)

Top Bottom