What's new

Better Bay Rum than Captains Choice?

So I got a bottle of Captains Choice Bay Rum to try out and to be brutally honest...I can't stand it. It smells way too medicinal to my sniffer. What is a better choice for a Bay Rum?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Captain's Choice is very good stuff. You might not like Bay Rums. There are two basic types, a spicy and clovey bay rum, or just a simple, light, plain bay rum which is just bay rum oil and alcohol.

The latter is very, very fleeting in scent. Grand Bay Bay Rum, is a good choice if you just want a plain simple bay rum. If you want something more complex, I hear PAA's and Atomic Age is pretty good stuff.

I would suggest Bootlegger's Bay Rum, but it's a middle of the road classic bay rum, very much like Captains Choice.

Long Rifle! Exceptional performance. Matching a.s. is one of the best imho

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a Bay Rum "moisturizer" from Plum Island. It says perfect for after shave or shower.....or something like that. Anyway, it is more of an oil. Anyway, as far as scent goes.... I really like it. <- Only bay rum I have ever tried, just wanted to participate

I have not used the CC Bay Rum aftershave, but I love the scent of CC Bay Rum shaving soap. My face won't tolerate a bay rum with a lot of clove, so the soap works great for me. It has some cinnamon and spice, but is not strong on clove.

I have not used the CC Bay Rum aftershave, but I love the scent of CC Bay Rum shaving soap. My face won't tolerate a bay rum with a lot of clove, so the soap works great for me. It has some cinnamon and spice, but is not strong on clove.

Haha agreed. This thing is at atleast 98% full still. I gave it a good couple tries and still smell like an old bandaid 🤣

I would suggest maybe getting some sample size bay rum aftershaves from maggards. Scent is so subjective, so it is hard to know what you would like and not like.

Zingari Man has a take on Bay Rum called "The Nomad".

Zingari's SEGO base is absolutely top-tier elite in performance!

Most definitely worth a go!

1583843187655.png

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
There are two basic types, a spicy and clovey bay rum, or just a simple, light, plain bay rum which is just bay rum oil and alcohol.

This is actually a simple and an accurate breakdown. Which do you prefer is what it comes down to.

So I got a bottle of Captains Choice Bay Rum to try out and to be brutally honest...I can't stand it. It smells way too medicinal to my sniffer. What is a better choice for a Bay Rum?
I agree. It smells just like Chlorasceptic spray tastes. Awful.

I use a spiced bay rum from an Etsy seller:

This stuff is top notch. Scent is awesome.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

Captain's Choice and Barberry Coast I tried several years ago. Never could figure out how they get so many positive reviews.

I recommend Barrister and Mann Bay Rum. Smells great and has decent longevity. Also...Bootlegger's Bay Rum smells wonderful and has good longevity. Bootlegger's is a mix of three other Bay Rums...formula is easily found on Badger and Blade. A very good plain'ish (I created a word) Bay Rum is Stirling. Stirling is a very true Bay Rum with a hint of sweetness and a hint of complexity. For a straight Bay Rum, it has good staying power as well.

I just got a PAA shipment in and I will say that Atomic Age and Boomtown are absolutely heavenly!

PAA is a complex Bay Rum. It has wonderful, but subtle smoky notes as it's aged in charred oak barrels. I just got the 7oz jug. I'll go through 100ml pretty fast. Right now, it's my favorite scent, not just my favorite Bay Rum.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom