What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

Not a "build" per so, but over the summer I picked up an SA Saint AR pistol in 5.56. Wasn't crazy about the blast and loss of velocity, so then swapped in a BCM upper in 300 BLK. Great pistol round. Designed for the shorter barrels unlike the 5.56. If you load, you can load subsonic. If you want to pay $200 for a stamp, you can also add a suppressor and be almost silent.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would look into an adjustable two stage.

I put the Lyman trigger gauge to the JP single stage and it averaged under 3 1/2 lbs. It is adjustable, but I have misplaced the instructions for it, so I'll leave well enough alone.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Ordering various parts for the AR 10 build as they become available or have (hopefully) short backorder wait times. I had bought a VG6 Epsilon for my .223 build and a VG6 Lambda for my 6.5 Grendel upper build, so I thought I'd try a VG6 Gamma for my 6.5 Creedmoor and ordered one. Of course I can swap the two 6.5s and see if there is any appreciable advantage for a given caliber.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Uh-oh, Dvor has a sale. I'm trying to spread out my purchases, but I just had to order the Magpul PRS stock for my M5/AR 10 build.

KZ Barrel Spline Socket Rod For AR15/M4 Upper Receivers (botach.com)

I ordered another one of these for the AR 10 build since the one I got for the AR 15 worked so well. No more clam shell for me. Thanks to @RandyC for the suggestion!
Glad that's working well for you. I couldn't figure out what safe place I left mine recently. I got mad and ordered another one. Of course when I went to use it there was the other one on the bench next to the vise. My dad appreciated benefitting from that.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Still unpacking my tools. Finding all kinds of stuff. I completely forgot that I have a carrier key staking tool. I’m finding enough loose parts in bags that I need a stripped upper and a barrel and I should be able to put together a rifle.

Also found a key for an internal safety marked Taurus. Funny thing is, I don’t remember owning a Taurus.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
4E22F376-1226-457B-89C0-10B62274FCE1.jpeg

Same pic as posted in the Acquisition thread. AR 10 build slowly taking form.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Dang it, I accidently ordered an extra, rifle length buffer tube. Too much trouble to return it, I guess I'll have to build something else with it!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Cool, unfortunately my M5 AR10 needs a proprietary handguard due to the "Enhanced" upper receiver.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
0FF18619-508A-4221-90F2-A3647CA84A8A.jpeg

Triggertec "Adaptable" installed in lower, easy peasy.

82EA1289-A6E2-4C27-9C39-0FFFA9724C9C.jpeg

M5 Lower is now complete except for recoil buffer, JP captured spring unit ordered.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I got my Wilson 24 in. "Super Sniper" 6.5 Grendel barrel in. I had ordered the adjustable gas block based on the journal size (diameter of the barrel where the gas block goes) according to what was listed on Optics Planets web site. I go to assemble everything and the gas block is too big! At first I thought OP sent me the wrong barrel, but when I checked Wilson Combats website, it listed the proper journal size. I ordered the gas block from Brownells, they list the correct one, but of course its OOS! Looks like I will need to order a non adjustable gas block of the proper size to continue my build, or just wait for the right one to come back in stock. Crap!:mad2:

Ordering various parts for the AR 10 build as they become available or have (hopefully) short backorder wait times. I had bought a VG6 Epsilon for my .223 build and a VG6 Lambda for my 6.5 Grendel upper build, so I thought I'd try a VG6 Gamma for my 6.5 Creedmoor and ordered one. Of course I can swap the two 6.5s and see if there is any appreciable advantage for a given caliber.
If you are comparing the 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5 Grendel, the Creedmore is more like the old 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser or the .260 Remington, Can throw a heavier bullet faster and give a longer effective range. All the guns I have in 6.5x55 are old Swedish Mausers, and then a few rifles in 6.5 Grendel. I have too many different cartridges without adding another now.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Took my first deer with a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. Love that cartridge. The comparison I was referring to was of the performance of the compensators used on the different 6.5 cartridges, not the performance of the cartridges.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another snafu, while the VG6 Gamma fits the Wilson barrel just fine, the crush washer it came with doesn't! I'm beginning to feel like @OkieStubble with his 1911 travails.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Another snafu, while the VG6 Gamma fits the Wilson barrel just fine, the crush washer it came with doesn't! I'm beginning to feel like @OkieStubble with his 1911 travails.

I have always heard, one uses peel washers for indexing compensators and shim washers for indexing flash hider / silencer mounts.

You can get crush washers from Wilson for their barrels. I read once a long time ago, from a Wilson Combat Representative in a forum, saying certain comps had designed shoulders, that would index to Wilson barrels without a washer, but that they still always sent a washer with any comp / hider they sold.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So I got my Wilson 24 in. "Super Sniper" 6.5 Grendel barrel in. I had ordered the adjustable gas block based on the journal size (diameter of the barrel where the gas block goes) according to what was listed on Optics Planets web site. I go to assemble everything and the gas block is too big! At first I thought OP sent me the wrong barrel, but when I checked Wilson Combats website, it listed the proper journal size. I ordered the gas block from Brownells, they list the correct one, but of course its OOS! Looks like I will need to order a non adjustable gas block of the proper size to continue my build, or just wait for the right one to come back in stock. Crap!:mad2:

Not Grendel, Creedmoor! (My Grendel build is with a JP barrel).

Top Bottom