What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yup. The existing lower I will pair it with has a MagPul PRS stock and a JP single stage trigger. Eventually I'll have to pair it all up with some decent glass.

I would look into an adjustable two stage.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well my AR 10 upper and lower receivers are in Fed Ex limbo somewhere in Arkansas and have been for a few days. Don't know if its the weather or just Fed Ex.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So the lower arrived at the LGS today and I picked it up. It was ordered two days after the upper receiver, which still sits in Lowell, AR since three days ago. I wonder if the difference is because it is being shipped to me instead of an LGS.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When I build my AR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm looking to put in a Triggertech Adaptable adjustable trigger. If I like that one, I may put one in the Grendel build. The current JP isn't bad at all.

Triggertech AR-15 Adaptable Trigger | Up to $11.38 Off 4.9 Star Rating w/ Free Shipping (opticsplanet.com)

I looked at a lot of that info you sent me on building an AR. I think you are right I need to put a vise in my garage to do it. My garage is not air conditioned in Texas it may be a winter project if I decide to do it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That is why I'd mount it to a board. You can clamp it down when you need to do something like torque the barrel nut, or use it as a "stand" with the magazine well insert or clam shell, etc. and use it indoors to hold you build in progress as you tinker with the less "dynamic" aspects of assembly/maintenance.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@BigFoot , from the thread on my first build:
View attachment 1028459View attachment 1028460Another use, "Sight Vice" held by bench vice for firearms maintenece or cleaning. Gammo air rifle for illustrative purposes only!
Multiple small parts insertion photos followsView attachment 1034547
Lower receiver held in vise, mag well block lose fitting, needed a layer of painters tape to prevemt movement.
View attachment 1034548
Painters tape to protect finish on lower prior to installing bolt catch. Spring and detent in place, you can see the detent protruding.

The kind of stuff you might want to do inside in the AC, vise doesn't need to be permanently mounted. You could always put felt on the bottom of the board and use recessed bolt heads so as not to mar the inside furniture.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
@BigFoot , from the thread on my first build:

The kind of stuff you might want to do inside in the AC, vise doesn't need to be permanently mounted. You could always put felt on the bottom of the board and use recessed bolt heads so as not to mar the inside furniture.

When I think vise I think cranking it down into a death grip to take something apart. In this case a solid mount to a sturdy bench would not be necessary.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well you would need to clamp it down securely to torque a barrel nut to 65 ft/lbs or remove a barrel nut to swap barrels, etc. I have two large C-clamps that will secure the vise for the heavy stuff, and use just one to hold the vise from moving while doing the less dynamic stuff.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Well you would need to clamp it down securely to torque a barrel nut to 65 ft/lbs or remove a barrel nut to swap barrels, etc. I have two large C-clamps that will secure the vise for the heavy stuff, and use just one to hold the vise from moving while doing the less dynamic stuff.

I could bring the parts to work if I needed a sturdier platform for those types of things. Sorry I kind of hijacked your thread.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No problem. I'd be arrested and/or fired if I brought gun parts to work!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
D1AFAD35-9DBD-4BE0-A104-1E46F779F274.jpeg

I finally got both the Aero Precision M5 upper and lower receivers in for my upcoming 6.6 Creedmoor build. I may start acquiring other currently available parts as I await backordered parts for my 6.5 Grendel build.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
View attachment 1229058

I finally got both the Aero Precision M5 upper and lower receivers in for my upcoming 6.6 Creedmoor build. I may start acquiring other currently available parts as I await backordered parts for my 6.5 Grendel build.

Looks good. My last 2 “builds” have been complete uppers with lowers assembled by myself. Now that I have access to my vice, clamshell, and mag well blocks I’m going back to doing it all myself. I was quoted 6-8 month lead time for the 3 lowers I ordered so I’m in no hurry. I’m seriously contemplating buying stripped uppers and barrels now because they’re still available instead of rolling the dice on availability in the future. One build will be 300 blackout, one lower is for the complete a4 upper I bought, and I have a daughter on the way so I guess I need to look into pink furniture for the 3rd.

Top Bottom