What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Rather than the plastic clamshell I'm using one of these.

It's a clone of the Geissele for half the price. Works really slick.

I have something of a tool gathering problem.

I have taken your recommendation to heart from my .300 BO thread and ordered one for the upcoming and future builds!

If you'd like a nice trigger I can't recommend these highly enough. Not often do you get GOOD and CHEAP together.

I haven't tried their straight or single stage triggers, just the conventional curved 2 stage, but I've no reason to think they're not just as impressive.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've ordered a few more odds and ends for my build. Parts should be trickling in over the next few weeks, but not enough to begin assembling anything. My barrel should arrive first this Wednesday. The biggest sticking point for assembling the upper may be the adjustable gas block. If everything else for the upper arrives, I may go with a standard gas block temporarily. I ordered some titanium parts, not for weight reduction, but more for the color scheme. I know, waste of money, but I want what I want! Most of it is by V Seven, Ti Castle nut and end-plate with QD mount hole, Ti take down and pivot pins, Ti magazine catch/release and an NP3 coated aluminum forward assist, even though my upper receiver already has a forward assist installed. It will match nicely with the Radian Raptor charge handle in NP3! On back order is a Magpul M-lok angled foregrip in grey. I only bought it because it was grey! Not sure if I will use it, but it was on sale, so why not? To round things out, I ordered another Elftmann Ambi Speed Safety in SS finish. Of course , the lower receiver will be a big sticking point as far as availability is concerned. If I get the upper built, I may temporarily put it on one of my Bushmaster lowers, even though is has an A2 stock and service grade trigger. Time will tell.

Why do people think titanium is a waste of money? I’m all for doing anything to make the final weight of the totality of your kit, as light as possible.

I also prefer an angled foregrip over just a hand stop.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you'd like a nice trigger I can't recommend these highly enough. Not often do you get GOOD and CHEAP together.

I haven't tried their straight or single stage triggers, just the conventional curved 2 stage, but I've no reason to think they're not just as impressive.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I may just try the LaRue trigger this time around. I was pretty set on another Geisselle SSA-E, If I'm not satisfied with the LaRue, I can always put it in one of my Bushmasters, thanks again for the suggestion!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , I suppose one could argue that the amount of titanium parts is such a small fraction of the total mass that it doesn't make enough weight difference to justify the cost, but for me it will be offset by the savings of the LaRue trigger over the Geisselle! Plus it's cool!

I have two that were not home built, both Colt HBar types. Looking back I should not have done so, but I sent the upper on one off to Accuracy Speaks quite a few years ago and had a free floated bull barrel installed. I know it ruined any possible collector value, but it is a shooter.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After assembling my .300 Blackout AR pistol a few months ago, I've got a hankering to build another AR. I don't have a light weight flatop AR carbine in .223/5.56, so I've started the process of acquiring all the goodies. Unfortunately, current events has most things back-ordered or not available at this time.
I've come REAL close to making an AR several times. Never have.

Ain't it funny how God sometimes chooses to keep morons like me from certain additional addictions?

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble , I suppose one could argue that the amount of titanium parts is such a small fraction of the total mass that it doesn't make enough weight difference to justify the cost, but for me it will be offset by the savings of the LaRue trigger over the Geisselle! Plus it's cool!

Yeah, I probably should have emphasized lighter & "stronger" instead of just lighter. :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Funny, I never got into those. Pop was a top notch gunsmith and built custom rifles for paper punchers and varmint hunters, but he never built the AR thing-ama-bobs. Either match rifles with a 2 ounce trigger pull or varmint rifles with nylon stocks for the most part.

A couple of years ago I was talking with my brother in law, he wanted me to come deer hunting with him. Where he hunts it's rifle. Where I've hunted it's slug only. So I said I'll have to get or borrow a rifle. My wife chimes in, can't you use the one you shoot at matches with. I told her I thought a single shot with no safety and 2 ounce trigger pull that weighs just under 10 lbs is probably not the best choice.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There are folks who do hunt with their ARs where it is legal to do so, in various calibers. And they usually are not slob hunters who depend on high cap magazines, but dedicated marksmen who strive for clean, efficient and humane kills. John Farnam, a well known firearms instructor, espouses the use of "tactical" firearms to hunt with in order to gain real world experience and familiarity with one's weapon in the field, experience that you can't get punching paper or ringing steel. He and his wife Vickie have taken several species of exotic game with various "military" or "tactical" firearms.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also ordered an Aero Precision standard low profile non-adjustable gas block as they are readily available and the adjustable Spikes may be awhile coming.

OkieStubble

There are folks who do hunt with their ARs where it is legal to do so, in various calibers. And they usually are not slob hunters who depend on high cap magazines, but dedicated marksmen who strive for clean, efficient and humane kills. John Farnam, a well known firearms instructor, espouses the use of "tactical" firearms to hunt with in order to gain real world experience and familiarity with one's weapon in the field, experience that you can't get punching paper or ringing steel. He and his wife Vickie have taken several species of exotic game with various "military" or "tactical" firearms.

Love him!

I have not used any of my ARs for hunting, but if were to do so would use one of the 6.5 Grendels, and probably one of my 5 round magazines, Some of my bolt actions hold six rounds, especially my Swedish Mausers. Actually my preference for hunting is a little Ruger #1a in 7mm Mauser, light, handy and easy to carry. It's one of the very early "red pad" models, which I understand has a very long throat in the chamber which makes it suitable for long heavy bullets, not the most accurate by any means, but still angle of deer, really a 2 moa rifle.

I suspect that a lot of us here are retired or former military. I am in a rather unique class, what they call honorarily retired. I had ten years active and was passed over for Maj. during the Vietnam drawdown, stayed away for ten years, but did not know that they had put me in and indefinite period of inactive reserve, ie the clock was still ticking for time in service, but not counting toward any retirement benefits. Went active reserve in time to be called up for Desert Storm, and ended up staying up 7 years, making Maj, and at that 7 year point I actually hit the 27 year mark for longevity. Needed 3 more years for standard retirement, but since I could not make Full Col by that point, I was honorarily retired. That certificate, nice looking, and a couple of bucks can get me a cup of coffee.
I wasn't able to retire from the Army .. I was injured in the line of duty and came off active duty fully planning on going back active duty but went to a guard unit for a while and then with a family and all decided to not go back active duty... After a full leg cast for a very long time healing and being shot once that was enough for me...

Top Bottom