What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have on hand some SS washers of different thicknesses that should work.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
44538BC8-5B95-4454-9F00-37C01A9CDAF3.jpeg

The 6.5 Grendel (upper) build is essentially finished. Using the charging handle borrowed from the .223 upper this one is replacing. Just happened to have the Leupold 3.5-10x scope on hand. It will be replaced with a higher magnification long range scope eventually.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The charging handle should arrive soon, another Radian. Also awaiting a Ti firing pin. The Aero Precision bolt carrier with the JP bolt that is fitted to the JP barrel currently has a standard firing pin. The old Bushmaster lower has a Ti firing pin in the .233 BCG. The JP trigger has the drilled out "speed hammer", so I don't know if it needs the Ti pin or not, but that's the way it had been setup for years and works fine.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The charging handle should arrive soon, another Radian. Also awaiting a Ti firing pin. The Aero Precision bolt carrier with the JP bolt that is fitted to the JP barrel currently has a standard firing pin. The old Bushmaster lower has a Ti firing pin in the .233 BCG. The JP trigger has the drilled out "speed hammer", so I don't know if it needs the Ti pin or not, but that's the way it had been setup for years and works fine.

I used to have an old Bushmaster, I didn’t know it was a Ti pin. I think the most critical parts on an AR is the firing pin and bolt. So much so, lots of guys who want their rifles prepared for heavy usage, will keep a spare of each in the storage space of their rifles grip.

So with a Ti pin, which is stronger and lighter, put spare batteries or an oil bottle in the grip storage instead. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I used to have an old Bushmaster, I didn’t know it was a Ti pin.

My above post was misleading. The Bushmaster did not come originally with a Ti firing pin, I put that in when I installed the JP trigger, the combo meant to provide a faster lock time and potentially better accuracy. But unfortunately, that 1:9 twist barrel was the limiting factor, accuracy wise.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I should have said "old Bushmaster upper" had a Ti firing pin....obviously the lower has no firing pin. The old Bushmaster lower is being used in the above pic with the JP FCG. I put the JP trigger to the Lyman trigger gauge and it averaged a crisp 3.7 lbs. I have the instructions somewhere, perhaps it can be adjusted lower. That Magpul PRS stock is an older version. The new one I recently posted is for the AR 10 Creedmoor build.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I found the instruction sheet for the JP trigger, it is not readily adjustable. So if I want a lighter trigger, I'll have to get something else. I can live with it for the immediate future.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The AR10 6.5 Creedmoor build is stalled awaiting the arrival of more parts.

I got the Ti firing pin installed in my 6.5 Grendel build and I hope to shoot it tomorrow, The shooting range has been closed due to high water, which happens frequently in the spring, but has reopened.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Took the 6.5 Grendel to the range for the first time today. I only fired 35 rounds. Initially it would not cycle upon firing. I played with the adjustable Superlative Arms gas block but no luck. I was pretty sure that I had the gas port and gas block properly aligned, but I was beginning to doubt myself after trying both extremes of gas block adjustment. Then all of a sudden it started working properly. Who knows? I got the Leupold dialed in. It took quite a few rounds to do so as it was shooting waay high with the 20 MOA base. But I ended up zeroed in at 100 yds. with a five shot sub-MOA group. See the Day at The Range thread for pics of the group.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Getting really frustrated with parts availability dates getting pushed further and further back on backordered items for the M5 AR 10 build! Some that were to be available in a matter of weeks when backordered are now projected at over a year out!

View attachment 1243144

The 6.5 Grendel (upper) build is essentially finished. Using the charging handle borrowed from the .223 upper this one is replacing. Just happened to have the Leupold 3.5-10x scope on hand. It will be replaced with a higher magnification long range scope eventually.
That looks a lot like the one I built 8-9 years ago. Same buttstock, a big Leupold AR scope, ect . One thing I did on my build was use an Adams Arms gas piston system. Nice thing about that gas system is that I can shoot it all day and all that needs cleaning is the barrel, on gas residue on the bolt carrier or in the upper receiver or trigger group. My first Grendel was using an Alexander arms Overwatch upper, that has a free floated tubular handguard, otherwise, same stock, similar model scope, but it is a direct impingment system, so it gets a lot dirtier. I really cannot tell much difference in accuracy between the two rifles, It's mostly me. With a younger, steadier shooter the gas impingment system probably would have the edge due to fewer moving parts, but I still like my piston rifle.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I chose DI so that I can use the adjustable gas block. Is there any similar or equivalent adjustability available with a piston system?

Mine are older systems, gas block has 4 positions, full power, reduced for use with suppressor, off which makes the rifle a single shot, and a removal position for cleaning. I just looked at their website and they have a newer "micro adjustable" gas block which would allow for finer tuning with reloads. I have no knowledge of it other than a quick look less than a minute at their site a moment ago.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm well invested in DI for my completed and in-progress builds, but as the thread title implies, I'm liable to try a piston on upcoming build(s).

I understand, and have several including a couple of older higher end Cold H-bar models that are DI. I do like the gas piston for the clean running properties. Installation is rather easy, the only tricky part is getting a guide "bearing sleeve" in the port through the upper where the gas tube normally passes through. This system uses a special bolt carrier and instead of , and excuse me for properly not using proper names for parts, the part that overides the gas tube when the bolt carrier is forward. It simply has a flat block area that the pushrod works on to operate the action.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If I go piston, it will probably be a Superlative Arms unit, by the reviews it sounds like it is less finicky than the AA unit.

I had not heard of that one, as my interests shifted in different directions, All I can say is that my AA units have been clean and reliable, no problems.

Top Bottom