What's new

Betcha can't build just one (AR).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Of course I'm delighted to have shot that group above, but I can't do it consistently. It is also very ammo dependent. My initial sight in attempts were done with Winchester Super X hunting ammo, the accuracy with that round was mediocre at best. hopefully I'll be able to do as well or better than the Hornady Black with handloads eventually. Small groups at 100 yds. are great, but it doesn't always translate to long range accuracy. The proof is in the "putting".

I would certainly expect handloads to equal or slightly better that group once the rifle tells you what it likes. Were it me whatever bullet they're using in that factory load would be a good starting point, along with it's Sierra counterpart.

One of my cheap and fast methods of cutting groups in most bolt actions has been neck sizing only. That's not necessarily, as I understand it, a viable alternative in semi-autos. I'm guessing the bare minimum sizing that allows reliable feeding. That's worked well in my 458 Socom

I'm interested in what other accuracy improvement techniques you come up with.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would certainly expect handloads to equal or slightly better that group once the rifle tells you what it likes. Were it me whatever bullet they're using in that factory load would be a good starting point, along with it's Sierra counterpart.

One of my cheap and fast methods of cutting groups in most bolt actions has been neck sizing only. That's not necessarily, as I understand it, a viable alternative in semi-autos. I'm guessing the bare minimum sizing that allows reliable feeding. That's worked well in my 458 Socom

I'm interested in what other accuracy improvement techniques you come up with.
Yeah, I'm not sure what other accuracy enhancing procedures will be possible with the AR system. OAL will obviously be magazine length dependent, unless one single loads, but that is not keeping with the way in which the rifle will be used. Bullet selection and load development will be primary, as well as case prep for uniformity. I'll start with full length resizing since it's a semiauto, maybe partial full length? If it were a bolt gun, obviously I'd neck size only.

Top Bottom