What's new

Best Years for Fatboy

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but were there versions or manufacture years of the Gillette Fatboy adjustable razor that were better than others? Gillette razor history is kind of confusing to me. I learned how to shave on a Gillette safety razor in the late 1960's and I've been returning to them over the past ten years. I currently shave with a generic Gillette razor, as well as a single edge Ever-Ready 1914 razor. But I've always wanted an adjustable Fatboy. Anyway, are there razors to look for, or not look for, some better than others, etc.? Unless I can find a vintage shaving shop I'll be purchasing off ebay.

Thanks
Cliff
Seattle

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
They're all pretty much the same but the earlier ones (from 1958 up until mid-1960 F2 date code) are more easily serviced as the notched retainer at the TTO knob can be unscrewed. This will allow for better cleaning disassembly should you ever need it.

Good hunting @salish !

Cliff, There were 4 different versions of the Fatboy. The differences were all running production changes (incorporated to simplify manufacturing, etc.). I’ve owned all of them and they all shaved the same on my face. Some people prefer a specific date code based on their birthday or a significant year. Keep an eye on the BST forum here as some really nice Fatboy’s are offered from time to time. Best of luck in your search!
3DA17D09-0F5A-4AD9-BB0C-7E94271C8717.jpeg

Cliff, There were 4 different versions of the Fatboy. The differences were all running production changes (incorporated to simplify manufacturing, etc.). I’ve owned all of them and they all shaved the same on my face. Some people prefer a specific date code based on their birthday or a significant year. Keep an eye on the BST forum here as some really nice Fatboy’s are offered from time to time. Best of luck in your search!
View attachment 1125662

What a great resource! Thanks for posting this.

View attachment 1125662

GREAT COMPARISON!! Thanks! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow, what an incredible wealth of information, especially you TJ19, I am overwhelmed! I really appreciate your assistance with this. Thank you!

Top Bottom