What's new

Best Witch Hazel?

I know everyone recommend Thayers...
But what "flavor" is best. What is the difference between the Thayer's Witch Hazel and the Thayer's Aftershave?

Should I use a balm or lotion after applying the witch hazel?

Do a search of prior posts and you should find a zillion threads.

I'm a Dickinson's WH user, so I don't have any words of wisdom.

you could try generic witch hazel (with 14% alcohol) first, at 1/3 the price. i did that, using it as aftershave splash, and am yet to try anything else... :001_smile Natural and cheap.

I use Thayers alcohol free cucumber scent. I find it refreshing and it feels great! I do use a balm on top of it after it drys. I use Nivea or Neutragena.
Peace!
Pat

I don't use witch hazel often, but when I do it is from the CVS-brand bottle that has been in the closet for years and years. I suppose that has been satisfactory but I'm not a witch hazel expert. If I cut myself while shaving, I rub the area with an alum block. I tend to use Saint Charles Shave Lime Extract aftershave splash, or their Sandalwood or Blue Menth aftershaves.

Bob

I don't like the smell of witch hazel, so I use Thayer's unscented. It has zero odor. Works for me.

According to the Classic Shaving site, Thayers aftershave: "has 3 times the strength of Thayers other WH astringents." I use it all of the time, great stuff!

I use the witch hazel from the Dollar Stores. IMO...WH is WH. Good, cheap and gets the job done nicely. I also buy their "knock off" Old Spice and Aqua Velva AS's and mix these 60/40 or 70/30 with the Witch Hazel. Nice refreshing AS at a great price for a regular everyday AS. Save your money and get the best.

I just buy Dickinson because it is local and cheap and then I add some essential oil to make it smell like I want it to.

Tried Thayers and didn't care for it. Went back to the Dickinson's WH with the alcohol. I splash it on, let it air dry while I'm cleaning up, then use Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm. Trying new things the first few months is part of the enjoyment. In the end it all comes down to what works for you.

I use the witch hazel from the Dollar Stores. IMO...WH is WH. Good, cheap and gets the job done nicely.

+1

Witch Hazel is essentially all the same in terms of ingredients. Just buy the generic brand for less than $2 at any drug store, and save your money for more important stuff, like more shaving cream/ soap, and really awesome scented Aftershave splashes (I used both a splash, and witch hazel on every shave).

I'm using a cheap "WH+BR" recipe that I stole from another member of this board - 70% cheapo Witch Hazel from CVS, 30% Bay Rum aftershave (Superior 70 brand, as it were). This really takes the smell out of the WH - it smells really good (if you like Bay Rum) and still gives me the same effect, as best I can tell, as using the pure WH. I bet you could do the same with any other basic "splash" type aftershave what smells good to you.

YMMV, FWIW, etc...

I use Thayer's exclusively now. The one I use is the plain UNDISTILLED version with aloe in it. That is the biggest difference for me. Regular distilled witch hazel from dollar stores and the like left my face very dry. After switching tio Thayer's it works much better without the dryness.

I use it every shave. Have used Thayers, but since I now buy the cheapest I can find and it is no different IMHO. I add a bit of Bay rum and splish splash. Let partially dry and rub CHL while face still moist. Ah what a joy!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom