What's new

Best Witch Hazel Aftershave with Aloe Vera?

This is my recommendation:

8CA7FC43-A842-44FB-899C-36BF241537C3.png

I've used both Dickenson's and Thayers and much prefer Thayers Cucumber scent for after shaving. I use it on my whole face and scalp as I don't have much hair. The Thayers works very well for me and I'll stay with it. The alcohol based with hazel I now use for cuts & scrapes, insect bites etc.

Medicated or “superhazel” by Thayers is my favorite. Dickinsons with goodies added in good as well, just not as nice in my opinion.

I like the smell of Thayer's original w/aloe vera, alcohol formulation. I use it as astringent after shaving, where it serves the function of an alum block.

I'm curious about the tea tree oil. I have some, but I've never tried it in aftershave. Does the odor linger long, or does it go away quickly?

Be careful with tea tree oil. Keep it away from your eyes and applying it full strength may cause irritation and swelling.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I feel that a 14% alcohol witch Hazel is a good thing to have because it preserves and extends shelf life.
As for Thayers WH I use their medicated version that also has alcohol and cloves and a few other ingredients with Aloe that my skin enjoys. I find if I get any redness after a shave I apply some alcohol it calms the skin down.
Another use for Witch Hazel is diluting strong Colognes or aftershaves so they are not so fragrant and bothersome to others who could be sensitive to that particular fragrance.(Caution) It will make certain some Aftershaves cloudy because of powders that are in the aftershaves so I make small batches in a separate glass atomizer containers.
Witch Hazel & alcohol is a must for any type of shaving IMO(cartridge,DE,SE ,electric & straight).

Last edited:
Be careful with tea tree oil. Keep it away from your eyes and applying it full strength may cause irritation and swelling.

I have been using tea tree oil for a few months. I use a 100% pure organic option from CVS or Walgreen's, I don't remember. I mix two drops with my beard balm in the morning and then rub it into my beard and my scalp. It has a minty/eucalyptus kind of smell at first but it fades quickly. More than a few drops and it will sting and burn and irritate your skin. At night I rub my head with a bristly brush and then apply another couple of drops. For me, it has been wonderful in helping to control dry spots in my beard and on my scalp. Usually during the winter I develop lots of dry skin and dandruff, but not this year. And I haven't used any Head and Shoulders yet either. Maybe it's a warmer wetter winter or I'm just doing better staying hydrated, but I feel like the tea tree oil has helped.

Thank you for everyone’s advice.

welcome to B&B, Sir Type1!!

Thayer's version with aloe is excellent, IMHO!

View attachment 1055717
And thank you for the warm welcome!

I thought I had notifications turned on but it seems I had missed everyone’s replies.

So I went ahead and bought this -
Imperial Rum Aftershave Splash - https://www.phoenixandbeau.uk/collections/post-shave-collection/products/imperial-rum-aftershave-splash

But it sounds like I’ll have to give Thayers a try.

I’m yet to use the Phoenix and Beau splash, but I’ll report back when I’ve done so.

Top Bottom