What's new

Best ways to break in a boar brush?

I would like to elaborate on the method mentioned by @Beaslebong - the cold water soak in refrigerator method. The only expansion I'd like to make to that suggestion is to let the brush fully dry after the towel dry step.

I wrote a PM to a member some time ago to describe how to break in a brand new brush, and I'm quoting from that message here.

"
1.First soak it in water for 30 minutes. That's it. Absolutely essential to prevent the brush from absorbing any stuff from the next steps
2. Wash it thoroughly in liquid dish soap or pet shampoo or human shampoo. The point is just to give it a good clean
3. Dry it on a towel and leave it out to dry overnight.

For reference for the actual fast break-in, this guy was the first to document the process (although, I suppose it's been known to Italian barbers for generations)

(I usually skip step 3)
4. Next morning. Soak it in a glass of water upto the base of the knot or just shy of the base of the knot in the fridge.

This is where it gets interesting ....
The video says a day (even 36 hours if I interpreted it right), but I did it for 12 hours. Dunked it in the fridge and went off to work. The incremental soaking from a few hours or even a day more won't make any difference. It's the number of soak/vigorously rub on towel/fully dry iterations that count.

5. Got home and dried the brush on a clean dry towel. We are talking a bath towel here, not a small towel, moving it to dry areas of the towel as it rendered the current area damp. A large boar can use up more than half of the surface area of a decently plush bath towel.

I spent about 10-15 minutes on this - while watching TV or chatting with family (yes, they know I'm crazy).
6. Leave the brush upright overnight to dry further.

Then repeat steps 4 through 6 a couple more times for a total of 3 iterations.

Now, I want to be very sure you understand this. The duration between step 6 and step 4 from the next iteration was 12 hours for me, but it might be longer for you based on the climate and conditions in your home. It is absolutely critical to make sure the brush is bone dry before you go back to step 4.

That's it .. that's the only thing you need to pay attention to. In roughly 3 to 4 days, you'll have a well broken in boar brush (I'd say 80% of the way to a full break-in).

This process avoids the unpleasantness (for weeks) of a pokey scritchy brush while you wait for the promised nirvana of a broken-in boar. It gives you a taste of the nirvana in 3 days.

Please try it out and let me know how you fared.
"

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just use my new brushes. Nothing elaborate, just use. I would give a second hand brush a day spa but a new one just gets used. I dare say that you will finish up with plenty of brushes to experiment different methods of breaking them in.

I purchased an Omega 10098 Professional. It is a large brush with very stiff bristles. My face is too sensitive to use it until it is broken in. I broke mine in using a hot water procedure. I would not attempt to do this on an expensive brush as there is the possibility of ruining it.

1. Boil water in a pot. Remove the water from the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Dip the tips of the brush into the hot water for a few seconds. Remove the brush as soon as you see the tips began to go limp. Make sure you do not go any deeper than necessary as you want to preserve the backbone of the bristles. You only want to treat the tips.
3. Allow the hot water to evaporate from the bristles until they are cool.
4. Repeat the process or heating and cooling until you see the tips starting to split.

I have a variety of brushes, including some premium badger brushes that cost 10 X the price of the Omega. However, the tips of that boar are as soft as any brush in my collection.

I have tried this procedure on Semogue boar brushes, but it does not seem to work as well. Semogue and Omega process their boar hair differently, so the Semogue response is different.

I purchased an Omega 10098 Professional. It is a large brush with very stiff bristles. My face is too sensitive to use it until it is broken in. I broke mine in using a hot water procedure. I would not attempt to do this on an expensive brush as there is the possibility of ruining it.

1. Boil water in a pot. Remove the water from the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Dip the tips of the brush into the hot water for a few seconds. Remove the brush as soon as you see the tips began to go limp. Make sure you do not go any deeper than necessary as you want to preserve the backbone of the bristles. You only want to treat the tips.
3. Allow the hot water to evaporate from the bristles until they are cool.
4. Repeat the process or heating and cooling until you see the tips starting to split.

I have a variety of brushes, including some premium badger brushes that cost 10 X the price of the Omega. However, the tips of that boar are as soft as any brush in my collection.

I have tried this procedure on Semogue boar brushes, but it does not seem to work as well. Semogue and Omega process their boar hair differently, so the Semogue response is different.

Some say that you should soak it in a cup of water in the fridge for a few days and then scrub it on a towel to split the ends. Ive never tried it but people swear by it.
Personally, I say just use it. Yes, its going to be a bit scritchy at first but that will go away after a little while.

Some are probably not going to believe this but I sanded the tips with one of these, not only did it split the ends making it softer but I was able to shape my Omega Boar to give it a more dome shape.
59316-01-1000.jpg

I soaked mine in a cup for 3 days in the fridge, took it out and let it air dry for at least 24 hours.

Before putting it to use I checked and every single hair end had split except for maybe 2 or 3. It was much much softer than when I first felt it. If I get another brush it will be boar and I will use the same proven perfect method.

I lather it and leave it loaded overnight once or twice. Then lather it daily for a week or two whether I shave with it or not. Then regular use.

Swirl it around in a coffee mug filled with warm water and a little mild shampoo for a few minutes, rinse it, start using it, and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom