What's new

Best ways to break in a boar brush?

How should breaking in a boar brush be accomplished? Bowl lather, face lather, or just general use to break in a boar brush?

You can soak the tips in cold water in the refrigerator for 3 days then rub the tips on a dry towels for 10 minutes. That should split the ends

This is probably way too barbaric but I blow dried after each use (gently). It's a 10 buck omega 100066 and it became my softest boar.
It worked but... You know... I can't recommend it really :)

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

I would just put the brush in ‘rotation,’ with my others: use it then allow it to dry well before the next use. I know, this contrasts with other more elaborate routines but it works!

I would just put the brush in ‘rotation,’ with my others: use it then allow it to dry well before the next use. I know, this contrasts with other more elaborate routines but it works!

I second that.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Face lather daily. Feeling the brush breaking in with every shave is the joy of the boar IMO. After 3 months you'll be thinking that the brush is broken in really well, then two months later you will realize that it's getting even better!

I don't see a need to rush it. Regular use and it is broken in after ~30 shaves. That is only a month for a daily shaver.

I wash mine in Dawn Dishwashing liquid and hot water. Then I lather it up with a strong scented soap and rinse it out without shaving with it. After that, I just use it.

Step 1 Buy a Zenith
Step 2 Put it in a cup of clean drinking water room temperature
Step 3 Let it soak for three days at room temperature
Step 4 Let it dry out
Step 5 Put it in rotation

Step 1 Buy a Zenith
Step 2 Put it in a cup of clean drinking water room temperature
Step 3 Let it soak for three days at room temperature
Step 4 Let it dry out
Step 5 Put it in rotation

One of the boar brushes is a zenith. Now I’m even more excited to get this going!!

Face lather daily. Feeling the brush breaking in with every shave is the joy of the boar IMO. After 3 months you'll be thinking that the brush is broken in really well, then two months later you will realize that it's getting even better!

never thought about this way! Thanks for the pro tip!!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I wash mine by lathering with a strongly scented soap and rinse, maybe repeat if it's a banded dyed brush, and then just use it. I prefer a natural method with extended soaking as I think it won't deteriorate the knot's glue so much.

Enjoy the break in process as noted above.

This is how I do it.

Soak it for a day (Soak it below the handle line to avoid messing with the glue), lather it up and rinse it off, shake off the water and let it dry. Repeat this 3 times and the boar should be breaking into a nice brush.

Top Bottom