What's new

Best way to store new blades?

So as a newbie, I have all sorts of stupid questions...

I am looking for the best way to store new blades so they won't rust in my steamy bathroom. My first guess is in a Tupperware container but would entertain more elegant solutions.

As always your advice is much appreciated.

If you're talking about storing bulk blades in the long term, somewhere dry with a consistent normal house temperature should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to put a desiccant pack in with them to keep the moisture level down. I keep my stash of blades in an old shoebox on a closet shelf.

Most people keep them in a drawer or medicine cabinet and have no problem whatsoever. I personally store them in a drawer underneath my sink - never had any issues at all...

I imagine blades today will be ok a generation from now if stored in original packaging in household temperature and humidity conditions. If you get precise, there would be a measurable difference, probably, but I doubt you would notice from a shave.

For what it's worth, mine are in my sock drawer. The pack I'm using is in the medicine cabinet.

If you're talking about storing bulk blades in the long term, somewhere dry with a consistent normal house temperature should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to put a desiccant pack in with them to keep the moisture level down. I keep my stash of blades in an old shoebox on a closet shelf.

I like the desiccant pack idea. My bathroom gets really humid when showering. So shoebox in the closet with a dry pack sounds perfect. Also keeps them away from the kids.

I use several cigar boxes to store my blades in the bedroom closet. I keep a silica pack in each box and "recharge" the silica pack every
6 months or so. For day to day use, I have a small blade box in the bathroom for open packs and loose blades picked up here and there.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got mine willy nilly in my bathroom drawer. Some are in a container with a lid, some are just laying in the drawer. I shower in there but to be honest I'm not worried about my blades. They are in the drawer, in a wrapper, and most of them are double wrapped and then some are even in the tucks on top of that. I'm in the shower for maybe 10 minutes at most. I can't imagine in that short time frame moisture is making it's way to them and settling on them and causing harm. I understand bathroom habits are different for everyone.

The desiccant pack would work best IMO, and stored outside of the bathroom if you are worried about rust.

I store my blade stash in a cardboard box which formerly was the home of 12 bottles of fine wine. A well ventilated bathroom may be the key to keep rust away from razor blades as well as mold from the walls too.

So as a newbie, I have all sorts of stupid questions...

I am looking for the best way to store new blades so they won't rust in my steamy bathroom. My first guess is in a Tupperware container but would entertain more elegant solutions.

As always your advice is much appreciated.

If they're stainless steel you shouldn't have much to worry about. Carbon steel, which I think are rare to non existent today, unless NOS, is something to worry about. The only blades I store in my bathroom are the five pack or ten pack I'm currently using, the bulk get stores in a linen closet in the hallway or in my chest of drawers in the bed room.

I bulk store blades on a shelf in my office (out in the open air, not enclosed).

I take blades one tuck at a time into the bathroom and deposit them into a drawer. when I run out of a brand, I will unwrap/open another tuck and dump the tuck into the drawer (single wrapped blades), then go get another tuck for the drawer.

This seems to work for me as I only have 5-10 singles of any brand of blade in the bathroom at any given time or about 100 +/- blades in the bathroom

proxy.php

I bulk store blades in a small, topless, cardboard box, in a dresser drawer.

I take blades one tuck (5 or 10 each) at a time into the bathroom and deposit them into a drawer.

I store my blades in a plastic hardware parts container (for organization) inside a large Ziploc for protection from the humidity. Not very elegant, but I figure as long as I don't open the Ziploc when it's really humid I am ok.

I keep mine in their original packaging in my small top dresser drawer. I keep several tucks, maybe 20-25 blades at most, in the bathroom on the shelf with my razors. I've never had a problem. In our old condo, the bathroom was small and steamy. I just kept my blades on a shelf in there and for almost 2 years had no issues. 10 showers a week or so between my wife and I when we were both working.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I keep mine in their original packaging in my small top dresser drawer. I keep several tucks, maybe 20-25 blades at most, in the bathroom on the shelf with my razors. I've never had a problem. In our old condo, the bathroom was small and steamy. I just kept my blades on a shelf in there and for almost 2 years had no issues. 10 showers a week or so between my wife and I when we were both working.

I thought about doing an experiment. But I think you just saved me the time :thumbup1:

I thought about doing an experiment. But I think you just saved me the time :thumbup1:

Glad to be of service. I think you really have to try to rust modern blades. Minimal care is all that is required. I still take more care than that with my blades, but if I can do this, anyone can.

The bulk of my unused blades are stored in a plastic bobbin container I picked up at Jo-Ann's when my wife was going crazy there on Black Friday. I remember it was $2.50. It was worth waking up so early.

Top Bottom