What's new

Best Way To Hang Strops? Your Best Idea...

Many years ago I installed a vintage strop hook (yes, they made hooks especially for strops back in the day). It lasted a while but I didn't like that it was open at the top. Never had an issue but still didn't like it.

Then a few years later I installed an eye (as in a hook and eye, but just bought an eye from the local hardware store) in it's place and secured it in the stud in the wall. I actually have a leather loop on it and hang my strop from that. I can have more than one strop on it that way, if I want. Works a treat.

It's in the bedroom proper, and out of the bathroom to avoid moisture (not that it matters really as I had a similar set up in the bathroom for years as a teen and never had any issues). It's convenient though to have it in the bedroom when the bathroom is occupied and I'm waiting. It's prominent and the wife doesn't mind (not that I'd care if she did).

In fact, I think she likes it. She recalled to me years ago when the neighbor's wife came through for a tour of the house when we first moved in that the neighbor's wife inquired "what is that leather strap hanging from the wall?" My wife told her "my husband has always used a straight razor to shave and that is the strop he uses to maintain it". She said the neighbor's wife was quite fascinated.

Many roads to Rome in how you can do this, enjoy the road you choose.

Chris

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Many years ago I installed a vintage strop hook (yes, they made hooks especially for strops back in the day). It lasted a while but I didn't like that it was open at the top. Never had an issue but still didn't like it.

Then a few years later I installed an eye (as in a hook and eye, but just bought an eye from the local hardware store) in it's place and secured it in the stud in the wall. I actually have a leather loop on it and hang my strop from that. I can have more than one strop on it that way, if I want. Works a treat.

It's in the bedroom proper, and out of the bathroom to avoid moisture (not that it matters really as I had a similar set up in the bathroom for years as a teen and never had any issues). It's convenient though to have it in the bedroom when the bathroom is occupied and I'm waiting. It's prominent and the wife doesn't mind (not that I'd care if she did).

In fact, I think she likes it. She recalled to me years ago when the neighbor's wife came through for a tour of the house when we first moved in that the neighbor's wife inquired "what is that leather strap hanging from the wall?" My wife told her "my husband has always used a straight razor to shave and that is the strop he uses to maintain it". She said the neighbor's wife was quite fascinated.

Many roads to Rome in how you can do this, enjoy the road you choose.

Chris

Cool story, Chris.

*If travelling - without the loom strop - I fit two coat hangers inside one another, like a "Star of David". That's pretty universal.
What do the the two coat hangers do? Where's the strop? I don't get the visual here.
I guess Lord Fatboy means like this:
upload_2019-3-8_3-34-32.png

Only with typical laundry type wire hangers (much more malleable than the above).

Drilled a few hooks in the bedroom wall and have them hooked there, out of reach from the kids.
As simple as it gets i guess :001_rolle

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks to the great suggestions here, and due to the fact that my wife is out of town, I made a leap of faith and put up some strop hangers. The leap of faith part is because I put the strops out in the open. They are sort kinda behind a door, but in a location she won't miss.

Strop hangers.2.side.3-9-19.640.JPG

Two hangers were screwed into the side of a small built in bookshelf which is between my closet door and the door going into the second floor hallway. The hangers are level even though the photo makes them look wonky.

The hook the strops are hanging on probably wont't do for stropping, the the top (longer) hook will.

3StropHangers.640.3-9-19.ShelfJPG.JPG

This shows the two hooks previously mentioned + a D-ring. To the left is my closet door. My third hanging strop, the small black leather strop coated with black paste has a hanger (not newly installed) on the inside of the closet door.

Professional Strop.Tan.JPG ProfessionalStrop.Side.Brown..JPG

My main strop is the Professional Strop from Classic Edge. It does not hang.

I may make another strop as I have a piece of nice leather already cut to be a strop. If so, I have room for at least two more strops to hang on the side of the bookshelf. Also there's room for another (or several really) on the inside of the closet door.

Focus on D Ring.Strops.3-9-19.640.JPG

A bit more focus on the D-ring.

I used a stainless steel D-ring here, but there was regular steel version at half the price. I also have three left over D-rings. The D-ring is secured by only 3/8" wood screws but seems fine. The other pieces have wood screws which go all the way through the vertical shelf end support piece and a little bit into the horizontal shelf.

D Ring.For Strops.640.3-9-19.JPG

I drilled guild holes with my new Hitachi corded drill which I bought because my cordless drill is in hiding. I've searched for it. Life would be easier if everyone would leave my tools exactly where I put them, but that is not the case. The new drill ($39 at Lowe's) is great and I'm glad to have it; it looks so far to be the best designed drill I've ever used.

If SWMBO goes ballistic I have an alternative plan of sorts.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and ideas. I hope this thread will be useful to other guys thinking about how and where to hang strops.

All the hardware I used came from Lowe's except for the surface mounted D-ring. For that item, Home Depot had a better selection.

upload_2019-3-9_12-12-30.jpeg

I believe I will be able to leave the two hanging strops I want to use (the horsehide and the Tony Miller linen) out and available. The linen has long been used daily after each shave before stropping on the Professional Strop. The horsehide will be used but exactly how is still a question.

All that's assuming I am still alive a few hours after my wife sees what I've done.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I just hang my clean leather in the bathroom. Find a nice spot that suits your wife. Pasted strops are hanging in the bedroom. Not very noticeable on a small bar on the side of my dresser that you can't see unless you are looking for them. Bar is attached with those 3M Velcro fasteners. Never marred the dresser. I have a small eye hook below a windowsill in bedroom. When i need a pasted strop I reach over choose the one I want, hang it below the window, strop, then put it back. Wife never sees them except the one in bathroom which is pretty discreet.

The best I could do is take over a small coat closet and hang them there. Not optimal but have not figure out anything better yet.

IMG_2729.JPG

i pulled a move that made me and the wife both happy lol. i gave her a "hook" for her "hairdryer" .....then i was like "oh look a hook! i could have my strop under your hairdryer!" worked like a charm!

Just a tip....if anyone is traveling and comes accross the type of hangers that have a ball and receiver (i guess so people dont steel the hangers) take the receiver.....it a spring steel ring with a gate at the top the fits around the hanger bar and with it you can attach your strop to anything. As i travel every week for work this works perfect because i can hang my strop in any hotel closet.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Seeing how your still alive im assuming the hooks now have your wife's house coat and favorite night gown hanging from them....lol.

I have two strops hanging in plain view. I believe I told her before she'd returned from her trip I'd installed hangers for strops to give her time to get used to the idea.

She's not said a word about the hangers or the strops, but that doesn't mean anything. It could be simmering. Still, so far so good.

I'm very willing to put up hangers for her. She knows all she has to do is ask.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just a tip....if anyone is traveling and comes accross the type of hangers that have a ball and receiver (i guess so people dont steel the hangers) take the receiver.....it a spring steel ring with a gate at the top the fits around the hanger bar and with it you can attach your strop to anything. As i travel every week for work this works perfect because i can hang my strop in any hotel closet.

Pictures?

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get creative once my fiance and I get a place together again. Right now due to life circumstances we are not living together. My strops hang off my floor fan and she doesn't even ask why I put them there. I know once we get a place I'm gonna prob have to hang them in the closet and move them when I need them .

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to get creative once my fiance and I get a place together again. Right now due to life circumstances we are not living together. My strops hang off my floor fan and she doesn't even ask why I put them there. I know once we get a place I'm gonna prob have to hang them in the closet and move them when I need them .

Stand your ground, make us proud. :a29:

Top Bottom