What's new

Best way to clean my Merkur?

I have probably neglected cleaning this razor for too long. Here's the current state:

20170719_163843.jpg

I could scrape all that white stuff off, but I'm wondering if there's a more methodical way to do this. Also, how do I prevent this from recurring?

Bonus question: I know this is a Merkur, but I don't see the model written anywhere. How can I determine this?

It looks like a Merkur 34c. Disassemble and soak in dish soap and water overnight. What remains can be removed with a soft toothbrush.

To prevent this, rinse and dry best you can after every use (disassembling is not necessary). Most of that looks like dried soap.

Last edited:
LOL I'd be afraid of using a razor that looked like that. Do you rinse it off between shaves? I just rinse mine off between shaves then when I change blades I use an old toothbrush and some dawn dish soap. I'd try soaking it in hot water with dawn dish soap then use a toothbrush on it.

How can someone neglect a razor like that. Lol
Just clean with a old tooth brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Just scrub with a toothbrush and hot soapy water. Please don't soak razors in vinegar, that will spot the plating.

Be sentient of your razor and clean it more often.

Scrubbing Bubbles to the rescue! Douse it in a healthy amount, let it sit for 5 minutes then scrub with an old toothbrush. If that didn't get it all, do it a second time. I've been doing this with all of my razors for years and they're all sparkling clean. Can not imagine life without it, It's my favorite household cleaner for so, so many reasons.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner to periodically clean my razors. Just a dash of dishwashing liquid and i am good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mild mixture of warm water & washing-up- liquid,a good hour soak then scrubbed up gently with a old toothbrush..Followed by taking care of your razors, and showing them some respect!.."If you take care of something, it'll take care of you.

Doesn't seem sanitary to rub a razor blade across your skin with that kind of mess backing it up. If not for general cleanliness, perhaps consider your health.

Dish soap/toothbrush scrub is a good place to start.
I rinse and dry my razors after every single use. Periodically, I'll put a few of them in the sink and drown them in Scrubbing Bubbles to maintain cleanliness. For the most part, you wouldn't even be able to tell my razors get used.

It takes only a couple of weeks using the infamous scum inducing proraso creams.

I do rinse the razor before and after, and let it soak while I shower, but this still builds up.

Anyways, here's the new and improved version after soaking it in soapy water for the night then scrubbing with a toothbrush:

20170720_143606.jpg

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, do you have hard water? You're not the first person to complain that Proraso leaves white scum behind, but that's never happened to me (and I have soft water).

Our water in AZ has high calcium content. Our dog has a water drinking pail that has two rivet heads in it. I don't know what the rivet heads are made of but the pail is supposed to be stainless. If water hits the rivets it begins to get a substance close to what your razor looked like.

To prevent any problems with my razors after I shave I rinse the razor in warm water (with the blade in it), wipe it on a towel, and then dip the head in rubbing alcohol. I never have a problem with my razors no matter what the material they are.

Top Bottom