What's new

Best way to clean a used boar brush?

I've been using dish detergent to clean my omega boars for years already.

Is this the best way? I just realized my omega 10104 has some weird sour smell on it. I've been using this for years already.

I know how to clean brand new boars to get rid of the animal stink. What about old boars?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If my brushes smell of anything at all then it is the last soap that I used - are you using a lemon soap? Generally though my brushes smell neutral which I take to indicate they were properly rinsed after use. That said, I use only badger brushes plus a single synthetic; perhaps boar is different. I have read of using vinegar etc. and there are proprietary brush cleaners but I have never used either.

I've never cleaned any of my brushes, whatever the knot type - they get shaving soap run through them every few days. Personally I believe that thorough rinsing in warm water is the most important factor. Of course, time might prove me wrong, but most of my brushes were bought 2012-2015 and they're all absolutely fine.

Reactions: bjm

Legion

Staff member
I’ve always thought of brushes as self washing.

Maybe if they never get to dry out they might mould. Like a wet towel. Perhaps airing and storage is more important than washing, since they are washed with soap every time they are used.

Give it some spins with mild shampoo and let it sit for a while once lathered. Assure to dry it properly once finished. Should be as good as new then.

Soaking in a solution of water, white vinegar, and Borax then shampoo with mild dish soap will help remove scents from a new brush as well as remove soap and other buildup that accumulates in the bristles.

N+1 is the unacceptable number of times to soak an omega boar. The soaking that swells the knot and cracks the handle was one too many.

I’d try a good lather with several pumps of antibacterial hand soap, let it sit for at least 10 minutes, a good rinse and let it dry bristles up.

When obtaining a new brush, it is a good idea to clean it to remove any residue from the manufacturing process. Some natural hair brushes can be pretty funky and require several cleanings.

For those with soft water, shaving brushes will seldom need cleaning. For those with very hard water, brushes will build up calcium salts of fatty acids, aka soap skum. Thus, can be detrimental to the life and performance of the brush. Thus, those with hard water might want to clean their brushes periodically. In some cases vinegar will be needed to dissolve the skum. In lesser cases, a shampoo should do the job.

Just don't use a conditioner. Or a shampoo that has built in conditioner.
I applied conditioner 2x in my boar brush. Some kind of viscous liquid sticks on the bottom of the brush. Takes several washes with a dish soap and 1x in a water/vinager to get rid of that conditioner. I won’t use conditioner anymore.

K-9 shampoo more suitable then shampoo for human hair

It is my understanding that dog shampoos are designed for a higher pH than human shampoos. Thus, they are not recommended for human hair. Likewise, human shampoos are not recommended for dogs. However, the issue is with the acid mantle of the skin, not the hair itself. Thus, I do not know which would be better for badger and boar brushes. If you do choose to use a K-9 shampoo, avoid using one designed with insecticides to kill ticks.

If you like horsehair brushes, I recommend Mane and Tail shampoo. It was developed for shampooing horses, but people like using it as well. There is little difference between horse shampoo and human shampoo, so they can be used interchangeably. The pH level of horsehide is similar to that of human skin.

Top Bottom