What's new

Best way to affix blade in three-piece safety razors

I use a butterfly mostly, but I have owned three-piece safety razors (WCS, Jagger, Razorock). Once every six months I slip and slice a finger with a corner of the blade, most notably four days ago.

Two days ago I tried again. I put the cap face down on the bathroom sink counter-top, then laid the blade over the thread then I placed the baseplate on top, and purring two fingers of pressure on the center of said baseplate, screwed the handle in. I suppose this is the way to do it, because I never held the razor aloft as I screwed in the handle.

However, I have fewer than three years' experience with DE shaving. If you have a safer method of affixing the blade, I'd love to know it.

I hold the ends of the cap with a towel and place a fresh blade on the cap followed by the base plate. While still holding the cap-blade-base assembly with the towel by the ends, thread the handle onto the stud. This method so far has not resulted in bloodshed. Unwrapping the blade however...

This is almost exactly the method by which I slip and slice. I haven't cut myself unwrapping the blade though. Just goes to show that everyone has a different experience...

Here is what works for me:
1. Place a hand towel on the bathroom counter.
2. Disassemble the razor.
3. Invert the razor head, then place the top cap on the towel.
4. Insert the blade onto the top cap.
5. Place the razor base onto the top cap.
6. Attach the handle.

Hope this helps!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Here is what works for me:
1. Place a hand towel on the bathroom counter.
2. Disassemble the razor.
3. Invert the razor head, then place the top cap on the towel.
4. Insert the blade onto the top cap.
5. Place the razor base onto the top cap.
6. Attach the handle.

Hope this helps!!
This. I could not have said it better myself.

I handle blades by the tab only so if your fingers are away from the cutting edges you won't get cut.
Hold the blade by the tabs and drop onto the inverted cap which I hold in the left palm. Place the base plate onto the blade then holding the assembly in left hand the handle is screwed on with the right hand; fingers never near the cutting edges. This I find the easiest and does not need a counter or worktop. If a counter is available then use a towel as post #4.
It may be you are overtightening the head causing the head to slip and hence your cuts.

I like a more "hands-on" approach, similar to @Invicta .

* Get everything ready by dissembling the razor and disposing of the old blade. Unwrap the new blade and put it on the wrapping paper on the countertop.
* Place the top cap in your palm
* With your other hand pick up the new blade by the ends, drop it onto the top cap.
* Set the base plate on the cap upside down, put on the handle and tighten it down.
* So-called alignment issues seldom occur because the blade stays aligned with the posts as the razor is tightened together. It is still a good idea to check that the blade is centered and aligned.

I like a more "hands-on" approach, similar to @Invicta .

* Get everything ready by dissembling the razor and disposing of the old blade. Unwrap the new blade and put it on the wrapping paper on the countertop.
* Place the top cap in your palm
* With your other hand pick up the new blade by the ends, drop it onto the top cap.
* Set the base plate on the cap upside down, put on the handle and tighten it down.
* So-called alignment issues seldom occur because the blade stays aligned with the posts as the razor is tightened together. It is still a good idea to check that the blade is centered and aligned.

Exactly how I do it, and it works. I've managed to cut myself using just about every tool I own, from extending ladders to screwdrivers, but getting a nick while removing or fitting a razor blade is still on my to-do list :)

Top Bottom