What's new

Best type of brush?

What in the opinion of the soap gurus here is the best type of brush for Williams mug soap?
Any tips or techniques that you find work best? Straight to the face from the puck? or to a bowl first?
never used it before and after some ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Williams goes like this for me. Put a little water on top of the puck. Wet the badger brush. Shake the water out of the brush. Start loading the brush. This is done by rubbing the puck in a circular motion. When I can hear the sound of soap coming off the puck, I give it a few more turns then stop. That's about 20 seconds or so. I then use the brush to wipe the rest off the puck. When I look at the brush tips, there is some soap paste on the tips. Next, I put the brush into a dry bowl. Add a little water. More than a few drops, but not a lot. Its time for more turns. When the big bubbles turn into a lather, I take the brush out. Then look to see if its a dry lather or a more wet malleable lather. A dry lather has short peaks. A more hydrated lather has longer peaks. I find Williams lather cushioning and slick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A brush is a very personal preference. My preference is boar, specifically the Omega Pro 10048. I use Williams frequently and this brush does it. Once you figure out how to get a good lather with it, it is an excellent soap for little cost. To make it easier to lather I grate the puck into a mug or small bowl like a rice bowl, wet it and press it into the cup/bowl and let it sit overnight. This takes the “newness” out of the puck and gives you a rather lumpy surface and just makes lathering easier. Don’t use too wet a brush to get it started then add a bit at a time until you are getting the hydration/consistency you desire. If you are getting a bubbly lather, you have too much water. I’ve been fussing with this soap for years getting decent lather sometimes and sometimes not. The above method nails it every time. Let me know it it works for you please. In my opinion, Williams is well worth the trouble.

A brush is a very personal preference. My preference is boar, specifically the Omega Pro 10048. I use Williams frequently and this brush does it. Once you figure out how to get a good lather with it, it is an excellent soap for little cost. To make it easier to lather I grate the puck into a mug or small bowl like a rice bowl, wet it and press it into the cup/bowl and let it sit overnight. This takes the “newness” out of the puck and gives you a rather lumpy surface and just makes lathering easier. Don’t use too wet a brush to get it started then add a bit at a time until you are getting the hydration/consistency you desire. If you are getting a bubbly lather, you have too much water. I’ve been fussing with this soap for years getting decent lather sometimes and sometimes not. The above method nails it every time. Let me know it it works for you please. In my opinion, Williams is well worth the trouble.
You grate the whole puck?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You grate the whole puck?
Yep, the whole puck. This also keeps you from having a puck sliding around the bottom of your container while you are trying to lather and provides a wider surface to lather on. I don’t know why it took me so long to think of it. Works for Arko sticks as well.

This is off a dry (not bloomed) puck breaking in a Semogue 1470 Boar. Just add water a bit at a time and don't flog it.

Williams rezised.JPG

I like larger bowls. More the size of a soup bowl. Smaller than 4.5” diameter gets too crowded for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I face lather, occcasionally using a bowl instead of OS Mug or tub. The pic is such a time breaking in the boar. You can see what's left of the chunk of Williams smooshed in the bottom. Never really saw a point in loading a brush then lathering a bowl and then lathering your face but works for some so it's all good.

Williams isn't a big mean mystery.

Here is how I treat pucks, any pucks and especially Williams: put it in a mug. Cover it with water. Soak the brush. Pour off the water from the soap. Shake the excess water from the brush. Swirl the brush on the puck. Keep going until you get a decent lather. Add more water by dipping the tips of the brush in water, if necessary. No bowl, no whisks, no scuttles, no added glycerin, no special oils, no incantations, no 1,000 year old Japanese tea whisk. Nada. Just soap, hot water, a decent brush and a mug. It works for me every time. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is how I treat pucks, any pucks and especially Williams: put it in a mug. Cover it with water. Soak the brush. Pour off the water from the soap. Shake the excess water from the brush. Swirl the brush on the puck. Keep going until you get a decent lather. Add more water by dipping the tips of the brush in water, if necessary. No bowl, no whisks, no scuttles, no added glycerin, no special oils, no incantations, no 1,000 year old Japanese tea whisk. Nada. Just soap, hot water, a decent brush and a mug. It works for me every time. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean I wasted my money on the tea whisk? Darn it!

Synthetic brush works the best for me with Williams. I load heavy and put a ton of water to make a lasting lather as it's advertised. It is possible but it took me a while to get to there.

Top Bottom