What's new

BEST TWEED FOR FLAT CAPS

I have recently divulged the name of the best flat cap maker on the planet. Shall I now divulge the name of the best tweed maker?
I am very pleased that there is so much interest in flat caps. I love 'em!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well don't leave us hanging.

I don't think there is a clear winner on the tweed front and also the best maker is very subjective. It's horses for courses.
I've got a English tweed cap made by Hills Hats and Donegal tweed cap made by Hanna hats.
The Donegal tweed is a bit heavier, so it gives me options depending on the weather.
Both look and feel good to wear.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hmm ... he's got something to tell us tomorrow. Seems like we might have heard this one before.

Well don't leave us hanging.

I don't think there is a clear winner on the tweed front and also the best maker is very subjective. It's horses for courses.
I've got a English tweed cap made by Hills Hats and Donegal tweed cap made by Hanna hats.
The Donegal tweed is a bit heavier, so it gives me options depending on the weather.
Both look and feel good to wear.
I don't think it is in any way subjective. The best manufacturers of tweed these days are Lovat Mills from Hawick, on the banks of the River Tweed. I appreciate that people get a bit sentimental about both Donegal & Harris tweed, which is fine but they are loosely woven and do not wear well.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't think it is in any way subjective. The best manufacturers of tweed these days are Lovat Mills from Hawick, on the banks of the River Tweed. I appreciate that people get a bit sentimental about both Donegal & Harris tweed, which is fine but they are loosely woven and do not wear well.
The two Harris tweed jackets and Donegal cap in my closet beg to differ sir. But I appreciate that you have a strong opinion, which is a rare things these days. I trust that Lawrence & Foster source their tweed from Lavot Mills?

The two Harris tweed jackets and Donegal cap in my closet beg to differ sir. But I appreciate that you have a strong opinion, which is a rare things these days. I trust that Lawrence & Foster source their tweed from Lavot Mills?
I am fond of Donegal & Harris too, but they are not top quality these days. Lawrence & Foster source their cloths from lots of mills, which I am sure include Lovat. There are so many knowledgeable people on this site, which is why I enjoy it so much.

I just contacted L&F thru their website, got a prompt reply.
Probably going to order a Linton in Ribble tweed.
Their website however gives very little information on whose tweed they use.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just contacted L&F thru their website, got a prompt reply.
Probably going to order a Linton in Ribble tweed.
Their website however gives very little information on whose tweed they use.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Good decision. I am wondering if Yorkshire is the spiritual HQ of the flat cap? Does anyone know where they were invented? Caps were worn in many sports and still are. There is even a rowing club that wears pink ones!

I have plenty of vintage Harris Tweed coats from Ebay and consignment shops. Top notch. Wifey got me a Donegal tweed Flat Cap for Christmas and it is spectacular. I'll keep my eyes open for others. I don't get to wear any of it as oft as I would like to needing to be in uniform many days a week and lacking a social life.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Lancastershire, like Yorkshire, is in England.
The article just said Northern England. I think Fuzzy meant either Yorkshire or Lancastershire can make the claim to have invented the flat cap. Say, maybe they could settle that dispute with a war in which they each pick a different color rose for their flags.

Top Bottom