What's new

Best travel soap and brush?

My favorite small brush (and not just for travel) is a Simpson Duke 1. Mine fits nicely in a Simpson travel tube.

Find a shaving stick you like for soap; Omega and a few other companies offer brushes that are perfect for traveling and fit in a large pill bottle.

I have this omega brush, its a good little brush with a good amount of back bone and drys pretty quick as its small. Aside form the price its cheap so you dont need to worry about losing it.
http://connaughtshaving.com/40033.html

as for soap, a palmolive shave stick is 50p at tesco/asda, that works great too and lather really easy.
Lets us know what you go for in the end.

I would suggest getting a Palmolive stick. They're pretty cheap on your side of the pond and perform greatly.

As for brushes... I use a Turkish #6 Brush or a custom made brush with a Grade A badger knot.

I travel with a shave stick (or a couple of them) and a Muhle travel synth brush. works for me :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have that Muhle on the way right now. I figured a synthetic would dry quicker.

I don't think soap size matters that much, personally. With the exception of the 8 oz tins from HTGAM and a few others, or things like the MWF ceramic bowl, a typical soap isn't that big. A tin of Mike's or B&M fits fine in my bag

I have that Muhle on the way right now. I figured a synthetic would dry quicker.

I don't think soap size matters that much, personally. With the exception of the 8 oz tins from HTGAM and a few others, or things like the MWF ceramic bowl, a typical soap isn't that big. A tin of Mike's or B&M fits fine in my bag

Does that Muhle fold up inside its self or do you have to leave the bristles exposed?

EDIT: I see it now. Guess I should pay better attention.

Last edited:
Does that Muhle fold up inside its self or do you have to leave the bristles exposed?

EDIT: I see it now. Guess I should pay better attention.

I'm curious if you can store it with the knot pointed into the handle? I suppose it might not fit easily that way

Sitting in airport now with a carry on to Hawaii. La Toja stick along with two 3 oz containers of Stroppe Shop soaps, EJ 89 razor with blade ( not stopped by TSA) in Parker leather case, Muhle BF brush in Parker leather case and Nivea Sensitive balm in one oz. leak proof travel container. Five pack of blades mailed ahead.

...EJ 89 razor with blade ( not stopped by TSA) ...

The truth is, there is absolutely no chance you could commandeer an aircraft today with a DE blade. That strategy worked for exactly one day. I'm not exactly sure what the logic is in continuing to ban DE blades (nail clippers, 2-inch knives, etc.) on a flight. A ne'er-do-well might be able to hurt a single person, (although not the pilot) but immediately thereafter would face the wrath of 217 other angry and frightened passengers. And there are plenty of things that are perfectly acceptable on a flight that are at least as dangerous.

A single person "armed" with one DE blade is probably harmless. But what about having four or five on board, each armed with an assembled weapon containing multiple razor sharp blades?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use a Kent synthetic, but there is a lot of love for other synthetics. I like it because it's pretty small, dried quickly and only cost $17 so I don't have to worry about it.

I have a shave stick for travel, but lately have been taking Castle Forbes in Queen Charlotte sample tubs. QCS would be fine as well, but the CF requires such a small amount of product that it's great for traveling.

Muhle Silvertip Fibre in 19mm and a soap stick with holder (for convenience); i.e. La Toja, Tabac, LEA.

Further soap solutions would be the 75ml container of Proraso green soap or buying a Boots stick and replacing their fairly mediocre offering with Palmolive (50p in most supermarkets and pharmacies).

For instance:

proxy.php

Last edited:
as for soap, a palmolive shave stick is 50p at tesco/asda, that works great too and lather really easy.
Lets us know what you go for in the end.

Picked up a stick of Palmolive today. Can't get over how cheap it is at 50p!

I travel a lot for my job and have found that a shave stick works best for me. I travel with a Simpson Classic 2 and DR Harris Marlborough shave stick. The reason why I use a shave stick is that I find I can get a good lather regardless if the area I'm staying has hard or soft water.

I travel a lot for my job and have found that a shave stick works best for me. I travel with a Simpson Classic 2 and DR Harris Marlborough shave stick. The reason why I use a shave stick is that I find I can get a good lather regardless if the area I'm staying has hard or soft water.

I took a Classic 2 best on my last trip, and it was perfect. If you haven't already figured this out, go to Walgreens Pharmacy and ask for a PM-20 prescription bottle. It fits the Classic 2 like it was made for it. Just be sure to poke a couple holes in it so it can breathe. :-D

I run two Dopp kits. My 18+ day travel kit has sticks of Mike's, Speick, and Palmolive, a 20mm Whipped Dog Silvertip that's my primary, a Whipped Dog synth that I use on travel days, a universal shavette, Fatip Grande, blades, and usually a 7-day roll of straights.

My truck kit has a La Toja stick, German travel DE that packs down to 2"x2" with a couple blades in the box, and a Wee Scott.

Top Bottom