What's new

Best Travel Razor?

Okay, so normally at home I shave with TOBS creams, Fine aftershaves splashes, occasionally I use TOBS pre-shave gel (haven't been a giant fan of that one, but whatever I already bought it, I suppose) and of course, a Feather AS-D2 paired with none other than a Feather blade. This is all fine and dandy, but as my username implies, I travel for a living and thus I can't check my bag. In other words, I'm forced to use a multi-blade cartridge (blasphemy I know...). I've been using Harry's winton handle for travel, but I haven't been a huge fan, both in the quality of the shave and also trying to fit 5 unnecessary blades under my nose. I've heard a lot of people recommend the Mach3, and I've been thinking of switching to that as my travel razor. I feel like the fewer blades, the better... but wanted to get thoughts from others who may be in a similar boat... or plane lol.

I would think a vintage medium aggression Schick injector razor would fit your need, like maybe a Type G or Type I.

You could choose not to carry extra blades, because an injector blade lasts most shavers twice as long as a DE blade, typically 10 to 20 three-pass shaves.

A Type M Schick Injector adjustable also would be ideal, perhaps the best choice. You have 8 settings, and surely one would fit your whiskers du jour. Also some of these Schick adjustable razors have a retractable-blade feature. When you slide a tab the blade is outta sight, with no potential danger to the contents in your suit case or careless fingers.

Okay, so normally at home I shave with TOBS creams, Fine aftershaves splashes, occasionally I use TOBS pre-shave gel (haven't been a giant fan of that one, but whatever I already bought it, I suppose) and of course, a Feather AS-D2 paired with none other than a Feather blade. This is all fine and dandy, but as my username implies, I travel for a living and thus I can't check my bag. In other words, I'm forced to use a multi-blade cartridge (blasphemy I know...). I've been using Harry's winton handle for travel, but I haven't been a huge fan, both in the quality of the shave and also trying to fit 5 unnecessary blades under my nose. I've heard a lot of people recommend the Mach3, and I've been thinking of switching to that as my travel razor. I feel like the fewer blades, the better... but wanted to get thoughts from others who may be in a similar boat... or plane lol.
Have you considered an electric razor at all? A friend of mine recently switched to the norelco and he says its a complete game changer that is well worth the investment price. I'm not a fan of electric razors at all but I haven't used it so I can't say anything about it. I like the gilette skin guard as the cartridge choice. Mach 3 is what I used before DE and it was no slouch at all but the skinguard feels like you aren't shaving at all yet it still knocks down the whiskers. Not as close as a DE but very easy to get a quick, irritation and cut free shave (the mach 3 always irritated me).

If you're okay with a DE travel razor, you might want to consider the Lord L5. It's a Gillette Tech clone, but I've heard it's more aggressive than the Tech. It's made from aluminum, so it's light. But it's also so well-balanced (at least in my hand), it doesn't need any pressure to provide a good shave.

If you can source DE‘s at your destination than the ultra cheap P&G China Super Blue Tech is great. Shaves like Tech because it is one and less expensive than the Lord.
6FD6F178-1454-4343-984A-F62F5B6FD238.jpeg

I’m going to write a separate post on the Bic Metal which I have recently discovered. For me, it’s fantastic. Simple, light and a terrific blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, for one, am looking forward to your post. I am curious how the three single-blade BICs compare: Sensitive, Metal, and Regular (Insensitive?).

Many, many years ago I tried a BIC disposable, and it cut my face to ribbons (possibly the worst shave of my life). I figured I probably needed to adjust the angle and pressure, but saw no reason for further exploration.

I tried a Sensitive recently, and the shave was downright astounding, with no nicks, but as close a shave as a first-rate DE razor and blade. So I'm guessing the Regular corresponds to my old nemesis, but don't know, as it is not for sale around here, or the Metal, either.

I still wonder how this compares to the old Wilkinson Bonded blades in terms of shaves -- yes, yes, I know it looks different. And the blade is far less durable and much thinner. But it is bonded firmly to the plastic, unlike the multi-blade cartridges that have blades that flex, so there is no hysteresis. And, unlike the Wilkinson, it shaves much closer, from what I recall.

(I used the Wilkinson Bonded when it first came out, and traversed the cartridge mutations to twin blade, pivoting cartridge, triple blade, etc. Hey, at least you didn't get cut from them, usually. The non-pivoting Trac II was my favorite, but it didn't shave close.)

I found the BIC Sensitive for $2.50 for a 24-razor pack (two 12-razor sealed packages) at the ubiquitous Big-W. If you want to annoy your friends who shave with octopus razors, buy a bunch of these and hand them out to prove that, no, five blades is not better. And if you really want annoy them, afterwards, tell them that, BTW, this is what shaving with a DE razor is like.

Or skeerew your friends and just keep the razors for yourself.

Let me put it to you bluntly: Shaving with a BIC Sensitive is no sacrifice. It is easy, close, fast, comfortable and delightful.

And, yes, at 5.1 grams per razor, or about five razors per ounce, they make a darn light (lightest?) travel razor.

Bonus suggestion: Get a light shaving brush and a bar of Neutrogena soap, which you can use for shaving, etc., and you're good to go.

On the downside, the blades don't last as long as a top-notch DE blade, the razor is as light as a feather, and there is the inevitable plastic pollution.

On the other hand, I bet they shave better than some razor/blade combos used by members on this site. It certainly is much better than using one of those cheap, black plastic handle DE razors. And this single-blade wonder is better and cheaper than a lot of over-priced multiblade cartridges.

-=-

BTW, always check for updates on TSA rules on razors, etc., especially on international travel. They like to throw you curves. Oh, and DE blades don't always show up on TSA scans.

Last edited:
I, for one, am looking forward to your post. I am curious how the three single-blade BICs compare: Sensitive, Metal, and Regular (Insensitive?).

Many, many years ago I tried a BIC disposable, and it cut my face to ribbons (possibly the worst shave of my life). I figured I probably needed to adjust the angle and pressure, but saw no reason for further exploration.

I tried a Sensitive recently, and the shave was downright astounding, with no nicks, but as close a shave as a first-rate DE razor and blade. So I'm guessing the Regular corresponds to my old nemesis, but don't know, as it is not for sale around here, or the Metal, either.

I still wonder how this compares to the old Wilkinson Bonded blades in terms of shaves -- yes, yes, I know it looks different. And the blade is far less durable and much thinner. But it is bonded firmly to the plastic, unlike the multi-blade cartridges that have blades that flex, so there is no hysteresis. And, unlike the Wilkinson, it shaves much closer, from what I recall.

(I used the Wilkinson Bonded when it first came out, and traversed the cartridge mutations to twin blade, pivoting cartridge, triple blade, etc. Hey, at least you didn't get cut from them, usually. The non-pivoting Trac II was my favorite, but it didn't shave close.)

I found the BIC Sensitive for $2.50 for a 24-razor pack (two 12-razor sealed packages) at the ubiquitous Big-W. If you want to annoy your friends who shave with octopus razors, buy a bunch of these and hand them out to prove that, no, five blades is not better. And if you really want annoy them, afterwards, tell them that, BTW, this is what shaving with a DE razor is like.

Or skeerew your friends and just keep the razors for yourself.

Let me put it to you bluntly: Shaving with a BIC Sensitive is no sacrifice. It is easy, close, fast, comfortable and delightful.

And, yes, at 5.1 grams per razor, or about five razors per ounce, they make a darn light (lightest?) travel razor.

Bonus suggestion: Get a light shaving brush and a bar of Neutrogena soap, which you can use for shaving, etc., and you're good to go.

On the downside, the blades don't last as long as a top-notch DE blade, the razor is as light as a feather, and there is the inevitable plastic pollution.

On the other hand, I bet they shave better than some razor/blade combos used by members on this site. It certainly is much better than using one of those cheap, black plastic handle DE razors. And this single-blade wonder is better and cheaper than a lot of over-priced multiblade cartridges.

-=-

BTW, always check for updates on TSA rules on razors, etc., especially on international travel. They like to throw you curves. Oh, and DE blades don't always show up on TSA scans.

Great response! I will post a Bic Metal review. From my side, I have only ever used Gillette cartridges and the Bic was a revelation! I saw warnings about it yet for me, it has been super easy, cheap but wonderfully effective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Some members when travelling will pack a beater Gillette Tech without blades and then mail themselves some blades to their destination before they leave so that the blades will be waiting for them at the destination. You can also take the beater Razor and then buy a tuck of blades when you get where you are going.

linty1

My wallet cries.
If you can source DE‘s at your destination than the ultra cheap P&G China Super Blue Tech is great. Shaves like Tech because it is one and less expensive than the Lord.
View attachment 1282357

I love this razor, it is quite inexpensive but out of the ones I have, this is one of my favs.

I feel like if you're gunna bring a Mach3, then just leave it at home all together and just buy a disposable mach 3 wherever you are from the walmart/station/corner and shave/pitch as as you go see fit. Just shave after a hot shower and you'll have your prep. Canned goo will work.

If you're okay with a DE travel razor, you might want to consider the Lord L5. It's a Gillette Tech clone, but I've heard it's more aggressive than the Tech. It's made from aluminum, so it's light. But it's also so well-balanced (at least in my hand), it doesn't need any pressure to provide a good shave.

+1! Great suggestion!

My travel razor is the Lord L6, a fine shaver that will not break the bank if forgotten in a hotel room.

I either mail blades to my destination or pick them up after arrival. :a29:

I used to travel weekly. I picked up a Trac II and a 100 pack of personna carts for my carry-on. it shaves well, packs small, a cheap buy in, and I didn't need a spare cart on the road. I was using Mach 3s when I gave up carts for wet shaving, based on the ridiculous pricing.

I rarely ever travel with only cabin luggage. And even when I did I would try to bring a utterly blade forgiving de like my snmirn. So I could source a blade locally without much issues. And of course make sure no blade inside when not allowed.
the Gillette guard/India might be interesting too.

Last time I traveled (between the middle of May to the beginning of June) I took my Gillette Otto Roth New LC in my carry on and picked up blades at my destination. Didn’t have any issues on the flight out but got pulled to the side on the way back. Fortunately one of the TSA agents I dealt with is a DE razor collector and I was able to get through fairly quickly. Though next time I might take one of my Gillette techs

When I first began traditional shaving, I used a Trac II for travel, with with one of those nice, long Ichabod handles.

Now my travel razor of choice is my Prewar Tech. It’s portability is pretty much unmatched. Disassembled it fits very neatly in a bubble wrap lined Altoids tin. Extra blades with my checked luggage.

Top Bottom