What's new

Best travel razor

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The Razorock DE-1 aka Balili 176 is a very inexpensive razor that still performs well. I got one on sale for $3.99 and put a nicer handle on it. That would would work well for car travel. For plane travel, a BIC Metal or Gillette Guard would be fine for a short trip.
I bought the same one from Razorock for $5 as a novelty item, but then of course I had to try it, and was pleasantly surprised. It is what I would use as a travel razor also. I also learned that although it's a mild razor I still have to be careful because it'll bite me if I'm not. Other than that, it has to be the best very inexpensive razor I've tried.

My preferred travel razor is a light-weight Lord L6! :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is a fine shaver and it would not break my heart if I forgot it in a hotel room.
I'm with you 😊
I love my Lord, and If I should lose it or forget it in a hotel I can get a new one on the bay for €7,50 incl shipping.
If I would forget one of my Techs or my Rocket in a hotel I would probably be very sad, but the Lord is easy replaced.

I bring either modern razors that are relatively cheap and replaceable (Merkur, EJ clone, Baili), or a relatively easily replaceable TTO (Gillette Blue Tip). Nothing really nice or hard to replace. I like DE shaving too much to switch to a cartridge for travelling; since I always check a bag, I simply check my blades in that bag.

My travel razor is usually my Timeless titanium 0.95 scalloped. Don't know why but that's usually the one

I usually travel with a 1962 Slim that I found on the road, at an antique barn during a vacation. It has plenty of cosmetic blemishes, but works well enough, and I can pretend I'm Frank Sinatra or James Bond in my luxury suite in Hong Kong or the French Riviera.

Reactions: Lis
I have written this before, but for driving or flying with checked luggage, I take an L1 Slim that was my daily driver for 47.5 years (it is adjustable to mitigate water/lather conditions). For carry-on flights, I take a 1971 Trac II.
I have a couple of repurposed, small deodorant twist-up tubes with Palmolive and/or Wilkinson shave sticks cut to fit. A Maggards' black synthetic knot in a random Chinese handle and a very small bottle of whatever Pinaud AS is in the rotation complete the package.

Tom

I think there are two factors: 1 favorite razor that you’re not afraid to lose, and the second is a razor that you don’t mind losing.

For carry-on, Bic Sensitive disposables. Universally recognizable and won't raise any eyebrows or cause me delays in the security line.

If I'm checking a bag, I might take an affordable current production DE that I can shrug off if I lose it.

If it had to be checked and I could get a couple in time gilette guard.

But checked is more complex for me.

I now use a oneblade core because idiot proof even when I am in a hurry sleepy not sober etc. Drawback if they nick my fhs blades it is a beard for the remainder of that holiday. So far it works and since it looks plastic cheap they are not likely to nick the razor. And I keep a spare blade box in my suitcase.

Other alternative is a qshave futul dirtcheap and with the right blades very nice tricky with others. Just need to paint it ugly cheap.

Or take my allu focus dynamic r48 which accepts almost any de blade but blade loading must be done with a clear head lol. And hopefully it is not nicked.

Top Bottom