What's new

Best tip of the year

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Okay, so the year's not over. Consider this a Crazy Eddie-like Christmas in July.

What's the single best tip you've picked up on this site? It could be someone's recipe for chili, a trick for lathering, or learning that you don't want to move to Oklahoma. Anything goes.

I'll start. For me, it was Willi G's shea butter soap. Realizing that you can get such a good product for so low a price was a breakthrough event, even though I've since spent a fortune.:lol:

What advice have you picked up that's worth keeping?

For me it was the hot pot. Whether used to fill a scuttle or to warm a bowl this made a big difference in the quatlity of my shaves. I have a small water heater and had a very difficult time avoiding cold foam. The heat really aids the razor's glide.
Cheers,
Jeff

Um...as a noob(still am) I learned --from one of the member of the forum-- to NOT SHAVE with my Merkur Vision like in this ever again

proxy.php

I used it like this for my very first DE wet shave ever. I knew there was something wrong when I passed the razor across my neck, proceeded to give myself razor burn unlike I've ever felt while still leaving all the stubble in tact, it took some serious talent to pull that off, I'm lucky I didn't end up in the emergency room :lol:

Actually it was Jeff that helped me out. He may recall this picture.

Rod

My best tip so far was not to try taking all the hair off in one pass. Gradual reduction is the way to BBS without razor burn.

I believe that the absolute best tip so far has been moving from my face to a bowl to build my lather. One of the exciting things about wet shaving is, who knows what I might discover tomorrow.

salsadj said:
Um...as a noob(still am) I learned --from one of the member of the forum-- to NOT SHAVE with my Merkur Vision like in this ever again

proxy.php

I used it like this for my very first DE wet shave ever. I knew there was something wrong when I passed the razor across my neck, proceeded to give myself razor burn unlike I've ever felt while still leaving all the stubble in tact, it took some serious talent to pull that off, I'm lucky I didn't end up in the emergency room :lol:

Actually it was Jeff that helped me out. He may recall this picture.

Rod

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Rod! Yes, it's difficult to forget that image. I refer to the particular razor burn you describe as "hitting it fat" after the common practice of striking the ground behind a golf ball and digging a nice little divot. The pelt fits nicely back in its hole and the ball travels about 7 yards. Hope things have improved for you my friend.
Cheers,
Jeff

my best advice was from Joel, telling me to use the Merkur Vision in the position Rod said not to. :biggrin:

Honestly, when I started opening the Vision up all the way, my shaves got exponentially better.

Thanks again joel

-Justin

Probably the best tip was building the lather in a heated bowl, but also the idea of doing more than 1 downward pass has been quite helpful.

Justso said:
my best advice was from Joel, telling me to use the Merkur Vision in the position Rod said not to. :biggrin:

Honestly, when I started opening the Vision up all the way, my shaves got exponentially better.

Thanks again joel

Justin, if you look carefully at the angle of the blade you'll see it is parallel to the ground. The problem is that I hadn't tightened the bottom knob all the way and therefore the jaws weren't clamping on the blade correctly :blushing: . I had the setting to the lowest possible and the blade was still exposed like this :eek:

Glad your shaves are better.

I learned how to resize my photo's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also found real shave cream/soap the missing link for me- and good brushes, I feel very lucky that my dad taught me to shave the correct way and buy me my first DE when I was a young gun. Now I feel as if all the pieces have fallen into place, also its a blast to trade shave stuff and the decants are a super way to explore more scents then sense would permit, am I gushing? must be the heat 98 still..
Jim

Kyle said:
I believe that the absolute best tip so far has been moving from my face to a bowl to build my lather. One of the exciting things about wet shaving is, who knows what I might discover tomorrow.

This is one of the best tips out there... I've been using a bowl for about two weeks now and I'm having to go through all of my creams/soaps all over again and revise my opinion of each!

This tip, plus Ron's soap lathering tips have been great.

Thanks to all. Thanks to B&B.:thumbup1:

My best tip was the 50 bucks the shoe shine boy gave me to come back to the forum..... He said something about nobody read his forum that he was the mod of and if I would come back he would send me 50 bucks. I have the email to prove it.:lol:

It would have to be Obi-Ron's suggestion of microwaving the water you soak your brush in- this has changed my shaves from good to excellent! :a45:

Marty

tonyespo said:
My best tip was the 50 bucks the shoe shine boy gave me to come back to the forum..... He said something about nobody read his forum that he was the mod of and if I would come back he would send me 50 bucks. I have the email to prove it.:lol:

:mad3: i told you to keep that a secret....

teamacacia said:
I'd have to say Ron's lathering technique. It has provided me with a monsterous improvement in shave quality.

Can someone point me to where I can find Ron's lathering technique, because I'm really having a hard time getting good lather in bowl.
Thanks.

Top Bottom