What's new

Best Thiers Issard straight razors

I've been really loving my recent TI razor so much that I picked up a second one in the other color to make a 2 set. The crazy thing is these are the real base level razors that TI sells and they're some of the best shavers I've ever used. I'm normally a 6/8 person but these 5/8's fit just right in my hand and on my face. I also don't normally like the entry level scales you find on most razors, but these plastic scales are actually decently hefty and feel better then expected in the hand. I'm almost tempted to buy another 5 to make a 7 day set but I'm still working on figuring out my favorite 7 day assorted razor setup.
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

I've been really loving my recent TI razor so much that I picked up a second one in the other color to make a 2 set. The crazy thing is these are the real base level razors that TI sells and they're some of the best shavers I've ever used. I'm normally a 6/8 person but these 5/8's fit just right in my hand and on my face. I also don't normally like the entry level scales you find on most razors, but these plastic scales are actually decently hefty and feel better then expected in the hand. I'm almost tempted to buy another 5 to make a 7 day set but I'm still working on figuring out my favorite 7 day assorted razor setup.View attachment 1225491View attachment 1225492View attachment 1225493
Haha the 7 day set idea is exactly what I’ve been trying to do with my le grelot set.

Aidah, I agree about the plastic scales.

I have two of the same TI razors except one has beautiful wooden scales & the other white plastic. The plastic ones aren't flimsy cheap plastic (like on my Chinese razors) and look quite smart. I really like this razor because it was a ridiculous bargain, I had to do some minor refurbishment to get it into shape, and it's a hollow grind.

Going from full hollow to a hollow was quite unexpected. I had to do a double take, 'Where's the noise when I'm shaving? The razor is silent."

My TI razor, my first straight
Good shaver, kinda thought cedar scales were too light of color but they have darkened with use
Razor easy to hone and keeps sharp edge
Satin finish and polish blade
After buying using her kinda like satin side more
Blade is hard steel and definitely a singing hollow blade
proxy.php

proxy.php

After my first experience buying an expensive (at least for me) TI with an uneven grind that I am in the process resolving, I bought the least expensive 6/8 inch TI I could find - a Special Coiffeur (6/8) half hollow with satin finish and plastic scales. I took the Special Coiffeur out of the box, stropped it on leather, and the sucker popped hairs and provided me with a very smooth shave - and the grind on the second razor is very even. Needless to say, I am super happy with the Special Coiffeur, and am already thinking about replacing the plastic scales with genuine TI replacement horn scales :).

After my first experience buying an expensive (at least for me) TI with an uneven grind that I am in the process resolving, I bought the least expensive 6/8 inch TI I could find - a Special Coiffeur (6/8) half hollow with satin finish and plastic scales. I took the Special Coiffeur out of the box, stropped it on leather, and the sucker popped hairs and provided me with a very smooth shave - and the grind on the second razor is very even. Needless to say, I am super happy with the Special Coiffeur, and am already thinking about replacing the plastic scales with genuine TI replacement horn scales :).
The horn scales are very nice.

The horn scales are very nice.

The first TI had a mirror polish and horn scales. When I took the razor out of the box, the horn scales were so pristine that for a moment I thought they might be plastic :). Now that I have a George Wostenholm with 100 year old horn scales that are in remarkably good condition (after being cleaned up), I get why people like them.

I would be curious to know what type of horn TI uses (as well as Wade & Butcher used back in the day for that matter).

No more mirror polish for me - too hard to see the edge with all of the reflection. I much prefer a satin finish on a daily driver.

I’m glad to hear your new TI turned out great. I love how the cheapest TI is probably my favorite and how well made the plastic scales are.

Question TI owners

My TI, 6/8 says Best Sheffield Silver Steel logo, I would assume just looks and just c135 carbon

Also are all TI blanks/ blades and styles , shape of metal in model lines?
For example Le Grot razor

Are blades shape differently or just various cosmetic variations

Thx in advance explanation

Not sure if this is the same razor that you have. If you go to The Superior Shave website and look at the photos for the "Thiers Issard 889 Sheffield Silver Steel Wolf", you will see "6/8 ACIER C135" on the back of the tang, so it's C135. I am guessing that "Best Sheffield Silver Steel" is just another of TI's marks, and if you go to Les Rasoirs (thiers-issard.fr) and scroll to the bottom you will see that the list of TI marks includes your mark. Still a nice razor!

Thx was thinking the same but what about other TI models?

Legrot for example

Shape of blade and the steel
Not talking about finishes or markings but blades shape designs
Are they all the same?

I have only sequenced a subset of the TI DNA. The 275 blank without thumb notch seems to be available in 3/8, 4/8, 5/8 and 6/8 inches. You can see this by going to the TI website, clicking on the images of the razors and looking under "Product Details".

The thumb notch blank seems to only be available in 6/8 and 7/8, so if you want a 7/8 inch TI, there seems to be only choice: with a thumb notch.

My guess is TI uses other blanks, but I have yet to sequence the rest of their DNA.

One approach to getting a TI is to buy the cheapest model with the blade that you want, make sure the grind is even, and then replace the scales with genuine TI replacement scales - you can even buy the leather pouch separately. This approach, however, ain't going to get you a mirror finish and a fancy spine.

And if enough of us do this, perhaps TI will get the message that they need to improve their quality control.

There seems to be other models with different blanks, blade design and shape, not talking about points but blade shape and type

Legrot and le dandy , for example

Thoughts [emoji189]

Top Bottom