What's new

Best Thiers Issard straight razors

EspressoAndAftershave,
sales like that on the Bay make me weep. I see nice blades like yours for say $100, then I need to add an outrageous shipping cost. One razor I saw was around 200$, but the bloody shipping was 112$!
W
ater The Flowers!

I had that happen to me once while trying to buy some mid-pandemic unobtanium from a German seller. With shipping, it would have been equivalent to a rent/mortgage payment. I politely declined. Truly terrifying.

EspressoAndAftershave,
sales like that on the Bay make me weep. I see nice blades like yours for say $100, then I need to add an outrageous shipping cost. One razor I saw was around 200$, but the bloody shipping was 112$!
W
ater The Flowers!
I had that happen to me once while trying to buy some mid-pandemic unobtanium from a German seller. With shipping, it would have been equivalent to a rent/mortgage payment. I politely declined. Truly terrifying.

What can I say. The last five years the shipping cost from the USA to the EU has doubled. Back then four out of five parcels made it through the customs unnoticed, today every single parcel is charged with import handling fees, import taxes and VAT. On top of that eBay has introduced the "World Shipping program" to "help" its customers (I've never heard a more condescending euphemism for greed). In any case if I'm to buy something from outside the EU these days it really has to be very special.

Beautiful TIs gentlemen. I posted this in the acquisition thread, but here it is again, along with my hook nose Spartacus.

View attachment 1171719View attachment 1171720View attachment 1171721

Both are first class in every way. Please remember if you late at night hear someone rummaging around in your home, possibly looking for you razors, please don't shoot, who knows it could be that it's just a cuddly Swedish bear looking for honey.

7rh3b22mx1v11.jpg

Is it my imagination or does TI make multiple versions of the same razor, just with different scales & finishes? Example in point,
the basic razor with plastic scales
New_TI.jpg

The Art of Shaving walnut version for a lot more $, but the same blade.
1604097116711.png

I'm tempted to buy the walnut scale version, but tell myself "it's the exact same razor, just different scales". But I don't want to listen to logic & love the scales..but it's the same razor for more $..but the scales are beautiful..and down the rabbit hole I go.

I'm guessing this is an industry wide practice. Make a blade, then make variations of it to suit the market segments, plastic as the basic then exoctics for the collectors. Curse them and their effective marketing!

Is it my imagination or does TI make multiple versions of the same razor, just with different scales & finishes? Example in point,
the basic razor with plastic scalesView attachment 1175911

View attachment 1175912

I'm tempted to buy the walnut scale version, but tell myself "it's the exact same razor, just different scales". But I don't want to listen to logic & love the scales..but it's the same razor for more $..but the scales are beautiful..and down the rabbit hole I go.

I'm guessing this is an industry wide practice. Make a blade, then make variations of it to suit the market segments, plastic as the basic then exoctics for the collectors. Curse them and their
the basic razor with plastic scalesView attachment 1175911

View attachment 1175912

I'm guessing this is an industry wide practice. Make a blade, then make variations of it to suit the market segments, plastic as the basic then exoctics for the collectors. Curse them and their effective marketing!
You could buy the cheap version with the plastic scales and then change out those scales for scales that really appeal to you.
Then you might be the only one on the planet with that combination.

Oops, I did it again... But first abnormalities with this razor. Firstly the etch is not centred, it lower that other Bison examples, some are high, some low but none centre. Not sure if the French have some wine before etching them. Im not fond of Thiers pinning, seems to be done by machine and it shows, considering changing them.

But more alarming this razors was shave ready out the box 😱 I’ve never experienced this before... When I received the razor I did a quick treetop to see what’s what and surprisingly it took some hairs. Quick 100 laps strop on suede and it’s mowing hairs down silently like a lightsaber. Since then I’ve performed 2 flawless shaves. I will eventually put a Thuri edge on this but first I want to see how far she will go before a rehone.

Bison is a great name for this razor IME and like a Bison nothing stands after this beast passes through...

I am officially also not buying any more razors, this was my last unless I can find a 14 Fili. I’m content with all I have. In fact I’ve been culling the herd over the past year, down from a 100 to 30 with another 15 that must go.

I will continue restoring razors for others, but I am done adding.

7/8 TI Bison - Ebony
31510918-CD62-4409-997F-288361809033.jpeg

Last edited:
Oops, I did it again... But first abnormalities with this razor. Firstly the etch is not centred, it lower that other Bison examples, some are high, some low but none centre. Not sure if the French have some wine before etching them. Im not fond of Thiers pinning, seems to be done by machine and it shows, considering changing them.

But more alarming this razors was shave ready out the box 😱 I’ve never experienced this before... When I received the razor I did a quick treetop to see what’s what and surprisingly it took some hairs. Quick 100 laps strop on suede and it’s mowing hairs down silently like a lightsaber. Since then I’ve performed 2 flawless shaves. I will eventually put a Thuri edge on this but first I want to see how far she will go before a rehone.

Bison is a great name for this razor IME and like a Bison nothing stands after this beast passes through...

I am officially also not buying any more razors, this was my last unless I can find a 14 Fili. I’m content with all I have. In fact I’ve been culling the herd over the past year, down from a 100 to 30 with another 15 that must go.

I will continue restoring razors for others, but I am done adding.

7/8 TI Bison - Ebony
View attachment 1189336

like that one alot.

camo

After my rant about the same razor appearing in different forms, I completlty caved in and bought the 11/16th boxwood version. It even has the Art of Shaving on the blade (soon to vanish)
View attachment 1189341

yep I've looked at that one too. nice purchase. if I don't lie to myself......will admit I am always looking for deal on an AOS with blonde horn scales. removing the abomination of AOS etching.

camo

I made a critical post in this thread about my previous Le Grelot branded modern TI. I stand by those comments but the ‘shave of the day’ photos from @camoloc convinced me to give TI another try. So I did something crazy, I did the same thing that didn’t work last time expecting different results. I ordered a second TI.

Well I’m glad that I did. My latest 5/8 TI (measured 6/8) in black horn scales is an absolute stunner. The fit and finish is perfect. I don’t use that term often but I seriously can’t find a single thing to fault on this razor. The blade geometry is spot on, all edges and corners are nicely finished, there’s great polish on blade and scales, crisp stamping, tight pivot, blade closes bang on central, everything is symmetrical. It’s practically perfect.

I have no doubt that this razor was finished by a different craftsman in the factory. It could also be the case of getting what you pay for. This was a more expensive model than last time. As before, I was able to choose the scales from a small selection prior to being fitted to the blade. I always appreciate seeing the exact model that you are getting before it’s delivered. Particularly when there is so much variation in natural materials. The black horn is a really nice material with a lovely density and gloss to it.

Surprisingly even the bevel angle is better on what looks like the same blank. This one measures 17.8 degrees (5.80mm spine and 18.7mm from edge to back of hone wear). This translates into a much better shaving experience.

I guess that everyone deserves a second chance.

755E06E5-E6AE-426E-B674-2ED52DFC1E5A.jpeg

Attachments

• 90BFE5BD-468D-4F8B-AB4B-858360C72E2D.jpeg
    90BFE5BD-468D-4F8B-AB4B-858360C72E2D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
  • EB7E9F22-4DA3-426D-84AD-654B0350CA48.jpeg
    EB7E9F22-4DA3-426D-84AD-654B0350CA48.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • E56B1757-83AB-44CD-B038-93C65121C57B.jpeg
    E56B1757-83AB-44CD-B038-93C65121C57B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 1CFF4A67-EC76-4B21-A04D-23634CF82089.jpeg
    1CFF4A67-EC76-4B21-A04D-23634CF82089.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • 7DEA24D3-2970-4953-A454-366BCB58E391.jpeg
    7DEA24D3-2970-4953-A454-366BCB58E391.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • 1A0F4802-F65C-4B6E-BB7D-B1FB2174E148.jpeg
    1A0F4802-F65C-4B6E-BB7D-B1FB2174E148.jpeg
    880.3 KB · Views: 28
I made a critical post in this thread about my previous Le Grelot branded modern TI. I stand by those comments but the ‘shave of the day’ photos from @camoloc convinced me to give TI another try. So I did something crazy, I did the same thing that didn’t work last time expecting different results. I ordered a second TI.

Well I’m glad that I did. My latest 5/8 TI (measured 6/8) in black horn scales is an absolute stunner. The fit and finish is perfect. I don’t use that term often but I seriously can’t find a single thing to fault on this razor. The blade geometry is spot on, all edges and corners are nicely finished, there’s great polish on blade and scales, crisp stamping, tight pivot, blade closes bang on central, everything is symmetrical. It’s practically perfect.

I have no doubt that this razor was finished by a different craftsman in the factory. It could also be the case of getting what you pay for. This was a more expensive model than last time. As before, I was able to choose the scales from a small selection prior to being fitted to the blade. I always appreciate seeing the exact model that you are getting before it’s delivered. Particularly when there is so much variation in natural materials. The black horn is a really nice material with a lovely density and gloss to it.

Surprisingly even the bevel angle is better on what looks like the same blank. This one measures 17.8 degrees (5.80mm spine and 18.7mm from edge to back of hone wear). This translates into a much better shaving experience.

I guess that everyone deserves a second chance.

View attachment 1222656

glad you have finally found what I've grown to love about them. don't know if its the steel, angle, or whatever other MOJO that might be present..........but I love the two that I have.

my black scaled one will also be my designated travel razor if I would happen to travel anywhere (doesnt happen often for me).

happy shaves!!!!!

camo

Top Bottom