What's new

Best Thiers Issard straight razors

Ciao Arne my friend,
70% of my collection is visible on Pinterest !
However I cannot display a Pinterest link on B&B due to forum rules. I would be more than happy to share it on PM for those who might be willing to have a look.
A Scandinavian section would be very nice indeed.
Will send you the link by mail...
Yes, please dm the link to me!

New TI, bringing my collection to three (so far):

08EF947E-DDF8-4C4C-AAA2-1A657D40E912.jpeg

All three have been absolutely beautiful, no-regret purchases. All three razors have come shave-ready, and after the first, I just stropped on CrOx after pulling them out of the box, just to smooth that factory edge, it was so keen. No complaints, 3 out of 3 winners.

First, this is a great thread! Not that I am about to buy a TI right now, but I went to the TI website and I am having trouble wrapping my head around their product line. I see two build-your-own models: the 188 and 889. @Polarbeard, Is the razor in the below photo one of these models?

If I instead interprete Best as being the TI razor model that is easiest to shave with while still giving perfect results I'd say that it is their standard 5/8 full hollow razor. It is an truly amazing shaver that I find very hard to let go of. The balance is perfect, it is extremely easy to handle and very forgiving, that is unless you choose a version with the French point. I had two, one round point in faux tortoise and one French point in some black wood. After very careful consideration I decided that I never want to be without one of these so just as a safety measure I ordered a third one that came today. It's in the photograph below. In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) this round pointed razor with its extremely hard steel and good balance is one of the absolutely best razors made today.

View attachment 1154836

First, this is a great thread! Not that I am about to buy a TI right now, but I went to the TI website and I am having trouble wrapping my head around their product line. I see two build-your-own models: the 188 and 889. @Polarbeard, Is the razor in the below photo one of these models?
The only difference between the 188 and 889 series is that both sides of the blade are mirror polished on the 188 series while it's only one side that is mirror polished on the 899 series. The razor in the photo is a 188.

I've understood it as the price of a Thiers Issard razor is dependent on the following:

First there's the finish of the blade
  1. satin finish on the blade
  2. mirror finish on one side of the blade
  3. full mirror finish
This is combined with the scale material according to below:
  1. Plastic scales
  2. Scales made of more exclusive materials
  3. Really fancy scales
And the third factor is the etching:
  1. No etching
  2. Etching without gold
  3. Gold etching
What adds most to the price though is the spine type:
  1. Plain spine
  2. Worked spine
  3. Massively worked spine
As I've understood it Thiers Issard classify razors that at least have the front of the blade mirror polished, non plastic scales and gold etching for "luxury razors". From there on onwards the sky is the limit. Note that if you want a really worked spine it's almost impossible to find one without gold etching, full mirror polish , and expensive scales.

What's very important to remember is that there are no differences in the blades regardless of styling. The differences are cosmetic and you shave with the blade not the spine.

However sometimes there's more to life than being practical.

20191117_092927.jpg

1603043161144_0_20191006_080252.jpg

Then again vanity is OK as long as we don't forget what's really important

polar_bears-Mom_n_Baby.jpg

The only difference between the 188 and 889 series is that both sides of the blade are mirror polished on the 188 series while it's only one side that is mirror polished on the 899 series.

Have you noticed any differences between your AoS TI's and your other TI's? I have since ordered another AoS, and can't distinguish any diminution of quality from the other TI's in my collection.

Have you noticed any differences between your AoS TI's and your other TI's? I have since ordered another AoS, and can't distinguish any diminution of quality from the other TI's in my collection.

The short answer is: No.

The longer answer is that there is, or at least were, two main resellers of TI in North America; Fendrihan (Canada) and Art Of Shaving (USA). Both of them known for selling high end products. None of them (especially not Fendrihan) would place their brand name on what they viewed as inferior products. I'd say that TI razors with either brand name on them actually should have gone through an extra quality check. Then there's the question of liking or disliking to have a resellers brand name on a razor, personally I don't mind at all. Actually I quite like the Fendrihan logo.:001_smile

My second razor I purchased 21 years ago, the most beautiful in my collection
My TI.jpg

Limited edition reproduction, stamina wood scales & singing 7/8" blade. I'll be using her tomorrow morning & looking forward to it.

Polarbeard, you seem to have the same thing but with some stunning scales. Nice and not something you see every day.

View attachment 1171157

Limited edition reproduction, stamina wood scales & singing 7/8" blade. I'll be using her tomorrow morning & looking forward to it.

Polarbeard, you seem to have the same thing but with some stunning scales. Nice and not something you see every day.
Yours is quite stunning too :001_smile

The short answer is: No.

The longer answer is that there is, or at least were, two main resellers of TI in North America; Fendrihan (Canada) and Art Of Shaving (USA). Both of them known for selling high end products. None of them (especially not Fendrihan) would place their brand name on what they viewed as inferior products. I'd say that TI razors with either brand name on them actually should have gone through an extra quality check. Then there's the question of liking or disliking to have a resellers brand name on a razor, personally I don't mind at all. Actually I quite like the Fendrihan logo.:001_smile

I guess we're the only two that don't mind the logos; everyone else takes pictures of them on the flip side 😁

...I've never noticed a difference when I'm shaving with them, either.

View attachment 1171157

Stunning razor. I like the thumb notch (does your’s have jumping?), shoulder-less design and the beautiful spine work. The barber’s notch rounds of a classy designed razor and 7/8 is a must have in any collection.

It ticks a lot of boxes...

Last edited:
I have a few of them, these three and also a Le Dandy which is the budget model. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with TI. I love the way they look, but for some reason I don't enjoy shaving with them as much as I would like to. Not a question of edge, I am sure the edges are as good as any of my other razors, maybe it's because they are stiffer and not as finely ground as most Solingen or Filarmonica blades. Honestly can't understand it.

The 4/8 Le Petite Francais especially. Second razor I ever bought. Never had a really satisfying shave from it, no matter how determined I am to make it work. From the hone wear you can see how determined I am.

Don't worry I won't get so heavy handed with the other two. In reality they and the Le Dandy shave ok, just not great.

TI.jpg

Last edited:
I know that Spartacus is a brand/trademark of TI and that retailers can order razors with the brand engraved on the blade, but can anyone explain where Spartacus comes from? Was it a brand that TI acquired?

Top Bottom