What's new

Best Tailor In London

Legion

Staff member
This will probably not be super helpful, because I don't have a specific recommendation. But obviously, if you head to Saville Row, you are going to pay for the privilege. You didn't specify budget, so maybe you are happy to pay Saville Row prices, and congrats.

Personally, I've found some great tailors for alterations in local areas, and usually they are people with a bunch of experience that have emigrated from overseas. In my old city I met a chap from Vietnam who had a hole in the wall shop in a local shopping area. I had a nice vintage Burberry topcoat that I bought second hand, and he tailored it perfectly for about what I would expect to pay for lunch. I wish I still lived there, if only to keep giving him business.

So that is my way of saying, ask the locals where you live. There could be a great talent on your doorstep that you wouldn't even notice.

I have my suits and jackets made at Masons and Sons. They are located at 34 Montagu Square. Their website is www.masonandsons.com. Though they are relatively new, their pedigree is great and if you happen to like the Conduit Cut look, you can’t beat the quality, price, and service. If you are in the States, Ryan is their representative in Houston (with another location in the Orion in NYC) and an incredibly nice and knowledgable guy. I highly recommend them! Good luck.

Am assuming this is a suit you already own. I can't recommend a specific tailor, sorry. But I don't think that many Savile Row tailors will actually do alterations for a suit that you did not get from their shop and, even then, the alterations would have to be requested within a certain timeframe from when you bought the suit (from them). I could be wrong as I only have experience getting a couple of suits on that street, but this is the impression I get. What you could do is contact one of them and ask for a reference as to whom you could take your suit to. Am sure they know reputable places that can do a nice job.

Last edited:
the alterations would have to be requested within a certain timeframe from when you bought the suit (from them).

Generally the big house will do alterations for the life of the garment (at whatever their rate is).

But overall absolutely, it's a good suggestion to ask one for a reference for an alterations tailor.

The days of the suite are slowly dying ... but none the less as everyone has said Savile Row and there are also some will known tailors in Jermyn Street as well.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
The first task of those who would criticise Savile Row is to learn how to spell it!
All of those years living in London you think I would get it right. Add a Secondary Modern education. I should of been thinking about that British icon Jimmy. Spelling or not thank for the correction but the sentiments still apply. What do you expect from a Millwall supporter and ex biker. There are many other words I cannot spell that I am thinking about right now but thank God for predictive text and people like you. The world is now a better place,

Last edited:
Seville Row is where they make those orange suits isn’t it?Out of my league. I thought off the peg Kiton was a bit steep but you probably wouldn’t get much more than a pair of chinos and a couple of shirts for that money in Saville Row.

Lefonque

Jermyn Street is not too bad and you can pick up clothing at good prices. The last time I was back in London I picked up some shirts, pants and gloves.

...Spelling or not thanks for the correction but the sentiments still apply. What do you expect from a Millwall supporter and ex biker...
I expect better of Millwall (pride of Bermondsey), but their supporter are "solid." As to Jimmy Savile, some say "icon" but I say "nonce!"
And ex-biker...is there really such a thing?

Lefonque

Not riding anymore because of a stroke. Still got my Harley and Colors. Tattoos don’t rub off.
I grew up in S.E.9. My Grandparents who raised me were from Bermondsey and Rothertithe. Sister lives in Erith say no more.

I lived in Deptford for a few years in the early 1980s. It was run down, rough and a great place to hang out in a pub. I drove through about 10 years ago. Talk about gentrification. Totally lost its old character.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My employer has an office in Verney Road near The Den which I visit occasionally while at our other office in Whitchapel. It is a about an hour walk between the offices over Tower Bridge; I try to imagine I am a tourist and it makes a routine walk much more enjoyable. London is a nice place to visit but I would not care to live there; I always feel like a need a good wash in the shower when I get home.

Top Bottom