What's new

Best synthetic

For around $40-60? I figure I'd get the best answers here in the brush forum. I was looking for a quality badger brush, but I'm interested in trying something new as well. I want something that has plenty of backbone to it, won't hog up my soap, lathers amazingly, and is soft...not scratchy. I've heard someone mention Whipped Dog? Where can I go to buy one and what other brands. I'm looking for a top-of-the-line brush gents. Thanks :001_smile

For synthetics, I'd recommend you start with a Whipped Dog. I have it in 24mm and it's a wonderful knot. Good backbone (for a synth) and lathers equally well by bowl or face. Extremely soft tips. And it's economical. There are now, thankfully, many other synths that are fantastic. The other two that I have are an Edwin Jagger XL synth, and a Plisson L'Occitane knot transplanted to a Rudy Vey PJ style handle. The Plisson, however, does not have the backbone you seek. Many other choices: I've heard good things about the new Stirling "Kong", as well as knots from Ubersoft and AMACK4 (which I have them both en rte, so can't comment directly). I've had Muhle synths and an Omega S-brush; I liked the Omega S-brush better. I'm sure others will chime in soon. Good luck.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I like the Zenith syn that I got from the Bay brand new Great brush nice soft knot and really packed and has plenty $IMG_1751.jpg of back bone

I always have to jump on these threads and recommend the EJ, or Muhle. I love the EJ in 19mm, best brush to date that I have ever purchased! :thumbup1:

A Muhle 21mm or my Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic. The WD is cheaper to buy, has backbone with soft tips. I like my Muhle but it is a little springy but looks just like a silvertip, & very well balanced with soft tips. (Made in Germany) I have a Plisson 23mm but it's more floppy & very little backbone & very soft tips!

Last edited:
The synthetics that seem to get the most positive press around here are (in no order):
  • Plisson
  • Shave Revolution
  • Muhle
  • Whipped Dog
  • Stirling
  • Razorock Plissoft
I haven't seen many head to head comparisons, but all of them have their fans. I have two, the Stirling 26 mm "Kong" and one not on the list, the Sunrise knot from Amack4shaving on Etsy. I think that they're both worth considering, but the Stirling is truly outstanding. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how it compares to the rest of the brushes on that list. Many folks seem to think that the Plisson lacks backbone and the Muhle is a bit scratchy, but I have no first hand experience with either.

If you're looking for a large brush, start with the Stirling. If you want a more interesting handle, the Shave Revolution and Razorock are available with a larger barber style handle. The good news is that with the exception of the Muhle and Plisson, they are quite inexpensive. And even those two aren't terribly pricey.

My Stirling Kong is very similar in feel and lathering to a TGN 24mm Grade A Silvertip I have. Don't know how a synthetic can get any better.

The synthetics that seem to get the most positive press around here are (in no order):
  • Plisson
  • Shave Revolution
  • Muhle
  • Whipped Dog
  • Stirling
  • Razorock Plissoft
I haven't seen many head to head comparisons, but all of them have their fans. I have two, the Stirling 26 mm "Kong" and one not on the list, the Sunrise knot from Amack4shaving on Etsy. I think that they're both worth considering, but the Stirling is truly outstanding. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how it compares to the rest of the brushes on that list. Many folks seem to think that the Plisson lacks backbone and the Muhle is a bit scratchy, but I have no first hand experience with either.

If you're looking for a large brush, start with the Stirling. If you want a more interesting handle, the Shave Revolution and Razorock are available with a larger barber style handle. The good news is that with the exception of the Muhle and Plisson, they are quite inexpensive. And even those two aren't terribly pricey.

I have all of those, plus a couple of Ubersoft brushes and an Omega S-brush. The Plisson is too floppy for my taste, and the S-brush is too stiff and scrubby. All the rest are excellent; soft but with enough backbone to handle even triple-milled soaps. You can't go wrong with any of them. Just pick the size and price you want.

I have Stirling 'Kong', Razorock Plissoft, a Virginia Sheng Pur-Soft knot and another of her complete synthetic in fan shape and a 20mm TGN synthetic.

The Kong is nice, but the Razorock is a better size for me. It is 1/2 the money and performance is same. I do not have the Whipped Dog synthetic, but hear good things. I would recommend the Plissoft - very enjoyable to use, great size, soft feel, lathering beast, nice heft. I face lather exclusively.

I have Stirling 'Kong', Razorock Plissoft, a Virginia Sheng Pur-Soft knot and another of her complete synthetic in fan shape and a 20mm TGN synthetic.

The Kong is nice, but the Razorock is a better size for me. It is 1/2 the money and performance is same. I do not have the Whipped Dog synthetic, but hear good things. I would recommend the Plissoft - very enjoyable to use, great size, soft feel, lathering beast, nice heft. I face lather exclusively.
I've been enjoying the extra size of the Kong; my Sunrise is a 24mm, and those extra 2 mm seem to make a difference. Also, I was able to get a factory second for $21 shipped, as compared to $16 shipped for the Plissoft. If Stirling has any more of those seconds, they can be a great deal. The only "problem" with my brush is that it doesn't have a logo - for me that was a plus.

Another major factor in my choice was: what's in stock? I was planning on getting the Shave Revolution synthetic, but it was out of stock. I'm not sure who has what in stock now, but I know that for a while Shave Revoltuion, Whipped Dog, Razorock and Stirling were out of stock on one or more of their synthetic brushes.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I waited to get a 'second' with no logo, which is a plus for me too.

I like both, but would consider giving my Dad the larger Stirling brush - he has hands like catchers mitts. Plissoft with regular handle is one I could use going forward if I did not like the variety of all sorts of brushes.

I really love the Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic. Very soft tips but very dense and lots of backbone. Its a face lather monster

Hi Steve,

I waited to get a 'second' with no logo, which is a plus for me too.

I like both, but would consider giving my Dad the larger Stirling brush - he has hands like catchers mitts. Plissoft with regular handle is one I could use going forward if I did not like the variety of all sorts of brushes.
Well, my wife has always said that I have "butchers hands"; I don't think she means that they're small and elegant. That may partly explain why I like the Stirling 26mm "Kong" so much.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm also curious why AbbyW2 did not like the Plissoft. I've only tried a few synthetics, but my Plissoft is quickly becoming my favorite of all the brushes I own. I think is has just the right amount of backbone. The tips are incredibly soft. It's very easy to load and will whip up more than enough lather for a 3+ pass shave. I've only had mine for a week, but I absolutely love it. Plus, it was only $10 at Italian Barber (I believe it's still on sale, but it's been sold out for the past few days).

Top Bottom