What's new

Best straight Lavender Hard tallow soap made with real essential oil

DR Harris Lavender comes to mind. Light straight lavender scent. Not sure if its EO.

Also

Cyril Salter has a tallow triple milled soap. Also a strsight or mostly lavender scent. I never got around to using it before I passed it along, but it did have nice scent. This is a newish formula that came out a couple of years ago. Also not sure if its EO.

Edit: looks like the Cyril Salter is a FO. It lists parfum as ingredient.

Mike's Hungarian Lavender and Mystic Water's Jeff's Lavender are two EO shave soaps that I've enjoyed. Cyril R. Salter's is a big hit with UK wet shavers, I'm interested to try it.

EO is mentioned on the package of AOS' Lavender soap.
AOS Lavender.jpg

Speick shave stick isn't a straight lavender scent yet has some pretty magical skin food ingredients not available in any other products. Tallow too.

Also, all takes on lavender are very different from one another and not every straight lavender will smell exactly like the one sitting next to it. Some are sweet, some are earthy, some are medicinal, etc.

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge. It is not pure lavender, but it checks all of your other boxes.

Lisa's Gentleman's Lavender: Lavender, clary sage, orange, patchouli, cedarwood and litsea cubeba. (essential oil blend)

I have used D.R. Harris, Mike's Hungarian Lavender, the tallow version of Cyril Salter lavender, the old tallow AOS lavender, RazoRock Essential Oil of Lavender, the old RazoRock King of the Castle lavender and maybe a few others. To me the best by far is Lisa's. To be honest I haven't used the latest formulation from Lisa, only the "original", but in terms of scent it is clearly my pick, and the scent description is unchanged from the older formula to the new.. It is not, as you can see above, only essential oil of lavender, but the lavender predominates.

That's pretty specific. I would say AOS w/Tallow if you can find it would be by far the best. C&S uses the same formula as AOS w/Tallow but it's far more expensive. The new AOS I find to be a very good soap as well, but just not as good as the Valobra co-branded soaps with tallow.

Mike’s or DR Harris for straight lavender that is well priced too. The Oxford and Cambridge is wonderful but massively overpriced (says the man with a stash of it....)

Also, the original scent MdC is a fresh vegetal lavender like if you pulled some plants out is the field and smelled them in your hands. A great choice too, and lasts forever.

However, if I could only have one, I’d go with the DR Harris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An update. I just used Cyril Salter Lavender soap.

1588054871783.jpeg

It's a smallish puck rounded on one side, flat on the other. Not overly expensive but it's not a huge puck either.

Puck scent strength is very mild. While using it, the lather scent is mild and is very similar to my longtime hand bar soap Dial Basics:

1588055087669.jpeg

I consider this hand soap to be nearly unscented, very gentle and simple, with a standard soap smell

The Cyril Salter Lavender is very much the same, although i got annoyed by the scent since I feel it is not an ideal scent for shaving, but it does smell clean and soapy and mild. I wasn't getting much Lavender scent, just soapy. This soap appears to use fragrance, not essential oil (bummer)

Performance was very good. It took some water but produced a thick, creamy lather. I was wishing for a bit more residual slickness but the soap did the job very well and afterwards my face feels great -- super soft and smooth and moisturized. I probably won't use it again since the scent reminds me too much of my hand bar soap. It would make an excellent shower body soap

The current Harris formulation is the same as that Salter soap. Harris Lavender is a more straightforward lavender, but it isn't EO. It's piercing and medicinal, and I like it, and if you like the performance of the Salter, you'd get the same thing out of the current DRH soap.

If EO is a requirement, though, Mike's is a better bet.

the shaving world is lucky to have many great lavender-themed hard soaps!
personally, while essential oil is a nicety, imho, not a necessity.
overall performance and scent are of greater importance.
all of these work nicely for me...

lavender soaps.jpg

An update. I just used Cyril Salter Lavender soap.

View attachment 1092958

It's a smallish puck rounded on one side, flat on the other. Not overly expensive but it's not a huge puck either.

Puck scent strength is very mild. While using it, the lather scent is mild and is very similar to my longtime hand bar soap Dial Basics:

View attachment 1092960
I consider this hand soap to be nearly unscented, very gentle and simple, with a standard soap smell

The Cyril Salter Lavender is very much the same, although i got annoyed by the scent since I feel it is not an ideal scent for shaving, but it does smell clean and soapy and mild. I wasn't getting much Lavender scent, just soapy. This soap appears to use fragrance, not essential oil (bummer)

Performance was very good. It took some water but produced a thick, creamy lather. I was wishing for a bit more residual slickness but the soap did the job very well and afterwards my face feels great -- super soft and smooth and moisturized. I probably won't use it again since the scent reminds me too much of my hand bar soap. It would make an excellent shower body soap
I have the same soap in the 100 gram refill puck. It is advertised as:
  • New tallow based formula for a luxurious and lubricous lather
  • Lightly fragranced with Lavender
  • Sustainable sourced and segregated supply of palm-derived soap
I don't find it comparable to an unscented soap, but it is lightly fragranced. Perhaps yours was sitting around for a while, or maybe it's just a difference from batch to batch, but if I leave mine open after shaving, the bathroom does smell of lavender all day.

Top Bottom