What's new

Best straight for Head Shaving and other questions

For a while I'm thinking about shaving my head with a staight, I do have several questons:

I always shave every day with a DE Razor, are you straight headshavers doing it every day with the straight or most of the days with the DE and on occasion with the straight?

What wóuld be the very best straight razor to begin with (if money was not an issue)

What wóuld be the very best straight razor to begin with (if on a budget, let's say $100)

May you always have BBS with no stinging from the Alum

For mildness and no worries, I would go with a regular straight (any good one - though a wide one is easy to control since you can't see the razor for parts of the shave). Regular straights are not as edgy as an AC or blade holder of some sort.

I don't use a straight all the time but I use them occasionally - especially when I'm on the road. I use the AC but I try to use a blade that has a few shaves on it. I've used new blades before but it takes a while due to tentativeness on my part. However, with a new blade, I can get a very good shave with just wtg.

With the straight, I usually just do wtg and shave every day. However, doing atg is not terribly hard - you just have to remember to stretch your skin - especially in the back. Mowing a wrinkle down makes for a crimson morning.

I shave my head once a week. I find head shaving is pretty harsh on my skin no matter what I use, so ultimately it will depend on your skin. Trial and error will help sort this out. As stated, go with a larger blade. I started with a 6/8 then progressed up to an 8/8. I find 7/8 to 15/16 is the sweet spot for me. Jimps top and bottom is also important as you can't see everything behind your head so having a firm grip on the razor is very comforting. I would also recommend going with a blade that is 3" or shorter.

I had an 8/8 Friodur that was 3.25" long and I found it to be pretty dangerous around the ears for me.

These are just my opinions though, you will have to formulate your own for what works best for you.

Most days with a Mach-3.
I use the straight if I've skipped a few days since the straight doesn't clog like the cart.

Personally, I like my 15/16 Wacker. It's quite hefty, sings like a full hollow, but I think it's a 3/4 hollow. There's a lot of heft and it provides great feedback.
I'm not sure I'd try a headshave with one of my Dovo 5/8s.

In the past I used any of my straights that was properly honed, but these days I use a Feather DX because it's got a smaller blade, is much sharper (one against the grain pass and BBS) and gives me a more pleasurable shave.

I have shaved my head with my Dovo 5/8 Special or my Dovo Best Quality. Although I have 25 straight razor shaves doing only my face, or my head or both, I haven't had a problem doing a 3 pass head shave. However, I do touch up with a safety with my headshave.

Top Bottom