What's new

Best 'Starter' Handgun?

Hey all,

Here's a question for you gun folks...

What's a good handgun for someone looking to get serious with this style of artillery? I'm looking in the $500-$750 range.

A little background on me for reference - I'm not new to guns as I own 8 rifles/shotguns, and 2 handguns (the handguns I own are more 'collectors pieces' and I don't want to be putting rounds through them more than I have to). I learned to shoot from my ex-Army Vietnam Vet father - my favorite gun in the recent past was an SKS that I heavily modified. However, I've never taken handguns seriously or ever developed any real skill with them. One of my best friends recently obtained his conceal carry permit, and invited me to do the same. I'm interested, but I'd like to undertake it with a gun that I will grow to love.

I've got some guns in mind, but I'm curious to hear what others say - chime in and let me know what you think. Again, my price range is limited and I'm looking for something to get skilled with - NOT something that will stop a bull elephant in full charge. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Any* of the 1911 clones.

*Excluding: Norinco, Star, Firestorm, and any of the no-name chinese/third world clones.

The shooting ranges near me have loaner guns you can rent, that could be a option near you. Try out a few different guns. Maybe a used glock 9mm

Well, a .22lr pistol is a great place to start -- cheap to shoot, almost no recoil, and most are quite accurate. But a .22 doesn't cut it for concealed carry/home defense.

Your price range will get you most handguns on the market. The exception is 1911s, there you're only looking at the lower end of what is available. Actually, if you go for a less expensive pistol like a glock you could get both a full size centerfire pistol and a .22 fun gun.

Absent more info I would recommend a glock 17 or 19. Try to find a police trade in to save money. It's 9mm, so it's cheaper to shoot than other self defense calibers, the recoil is relatively mild, and there are accessories aplenty to choose from. Once you put some rounds on paper and decide what you really want (carry, home defense, target, competition, etc), then you may decide to sell/trade the glock or pick up a different gun more to your liking.

Other good choices would be the sig 226, 229, or 220, an HK USP, the Smith and Wesson M&P series of pistols, or a S&W or Taurus revolver in .38 special or .357.

I would stay away from the ultra compact guns designed for the concealed carry market until you have a better idea of what you're looking for and what you shoot accurately. They tend to be not much fun to shoot at the range and carry guns are subject to a lot of personal preferences.

Well you've got some competing interests here.

For developing skill, there's nothing better than a .22 auto (a la Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKII). They are reliable, well-built, and you can pull the trigger all day without breaking the bank.

If you're looking for a more 'general purpose' handgun, I'd say start looking at something in a 9mm caliber. Although ammo is a bit scare, 9mm is extremely popular and can still be found at reasonable prices. It is probably the most economical centerfire pistol cartridge.

With your price point, there are some very nice guns that you can buy (especially lightly used). I could throw a bunch of names out there, but maybe you could tell us what your priorities are?

If you could post your priorities something like:

1. Comfort
2. Size
3. Power
4. Price
5. Durability
6. Aesthetics

...that would help with the selection.

Do you have a preference for an semi-automatic versus a revolver?

The shooting ranges near me have loaner guns you can rent, that could be a option near you. Try out a few different guns.

This is the best advice you'll read in this thread. Don't buy anything you haven't shot. It's like buying a car, you wouldn't buy one without a test drive.

Once you've narrowed down your choices come back and ask opions/real world experiences with those guns.

BTW, I'm a firearms instructor/gunsmith so I'd be happy to help anyway I can. PM me anytime.

For a handgun that my life might depend on I would shy away from any auto. The most reliable one ever made is still dependent on its ammo for proper functioning. If a cartridge fails to fire you need both hands to cycle the slide and bring the next one up. With a revolver you just pull the trigger again. That said, if I wanted an auto, personally I like the 1911 in .45 ACP.

I personally own, and suggest the XD9 as a good starter handgun. It is as durable as a Glock but for me handles better. They fall right into your price range as well. With the trend for ammo prices I'd 100% stay with 9mm for now. I'd suggest to find a range that rents handguns and to go try them out. See what you can shoot well and go with that.

My first handgun was a revolver. S&W stainless 357 it was perfect. I was able to shoot both the .38 and .357. If you want a semi auto you run into a little more of a problem. Some guys love 1911's and hate Glocks and others love Glocks and hate 1911's. I am truely one of the only people I know that love both. My son hates Glocks with a passion but would shoot a 1911 all day. With those guns you really should try them out first to find out which one you prefer.

My first handgun was a revolver. S&W stainless 357 it was perfect. I was able to shoot both the .38 and .357. If you want a semi auto you run into a little more of a problem. Some guys love 1911's and hate Glocks and others love Glocks and hate 1911's. I am truely one of the only people I know that love both. My son hates Glocks with a passion but would shoot a 1911 all day. With those guns you really should try them out first to find out which one you prefer.

+1 on trying them out and seeing for youself. You really can't pick a gun from what folks say online. Some people are overzelous with their guns and only like a certain type (same with cars, etc) and will not accept anything else. The biggest thing is honestly how well you can shoot it. I know when I bought my first gun I was deadset about buying a Glock. I read all the reviews about durability etc and knew its what I wanted. I went to the range and rented one, couldn't shoot it for anything. I then tried the XD and feel in love with the way it fits my hand, angles, etc. Go find out what fits you then come back and find out durability issues and opinions.

For a handgun that my life might depend on I would shy away from any auto. The most reliable one ever made is still dependent on its ammo for proper functioning. If a cartridge fails to fire you need both hands to cycle the slide and bring the next one up. With a revolver you just pull the trigger again. That said, if I wanted an auto, personally I like the 1911 in .45 ACP.

This is probably one of the most over abused myths in the hand gun world. I can tell you that we shoot in the neighborhood of 250,000rds of 9mm through roughly two dozen Beretta's annually. These are training guns. They don't get the kind of care/cleaning that operational weapons get. They are fired far far far more than a carry weapon and are exposed to an exponential amount of abuse/wear and tear. Of that quarter of a million rounds there might be 5-10 malfunctions per year. Of that 5-10 malfunctions annually 99% of those are operator error and have absolutely nothing to do with the gun. The remaining 1% is generally a result of a filthy weapon that is not properly cared for (i.e. - cleanliness and lubrication). A properly cared for quality auto is every bit as reliable as a revolver and packs 2-3 times the ammo.

Charter Arms Off Duty Hammerless Revolver 53811, 38 Special, 2", Rubber Grip, Aluminum Finish, 5 Rd. This firearm is less than $400.00. There is no room for mechanical error with this gun, and it can't be accidently discharged. Not fancy, not "interesting", and not high-tech. It is, though, a gun that will serve its purpose.

Charter Arms Off Duty Hammerless Revolver 53811, 38 Special, 2", Rubber Grip, Aluminum Finish, 5 Rd. This firearm is less than $400.00. There is no room for mechanical error with this gun, and it can't be accidently discharged. Not fancy, not "interesting", and not high-tech. It is, though, a gun that will serve its purpose.

Affordable, hammerless and reliable. Nice.

Renting is the best option, no doubt.
It's the easiest way to find what's right for you the first time you buy.
There are many good, well made pistols available these days, especially in 9mm.
CZ, Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P, Beretta and the list goes on and on...

If I had to recommend an "everymans" gun, good for CCW and home defense, easy to shoot well and stone-cold reliable, I would have to say Glock19.
It holds 15+1, points naturally(for me), magazines are plentiful and cheap, anyone can completely disassemble it in 5 minutes, highly customizable with a vast array of aftermarket suppliers, and it's virtually indestructible.

It was my first handgun.
I've bought and sold many guns in my life, but I'll always have this one.

I'll cast my vote for rent and experiment too. See what you like, see what likes you. A .22 is also a great investment because you can shoot it like crazy and you won't have to take out a second mortgage on your house or cut back on buying shaving gear.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the M1911 .45 family, but my own sidearm of choice for the last twenty years has been a Browning Hi-Power. Lots of great weapons out there to try--my advice is to keep it simple and avoid lots of unnecessary bells and whistles.

If you could post your priorities something like:

1. Comfort
2. Size
3. Power
4. Price
5. Durability
6. Aesthetics

...that would help with the selection.

Do you have a preference for an semi-automatic versus a revolver?

If it helps, I'd rank my preferences as:

1. Durability
2. Price
3. Comfort
4. Size
5. Power
6. Aesthetics

I'm leaning towards a semi-auto right now, but revolvers do have their charms.

A .22 is a good idea, but I'm looking for something larger than that. I'd like to get something that would be a solid, "jack-of-all-trades" gun. I probably won't be using it as a carry gun, but more as a gun I can use to get some skill with. Reliability and cheap ammo are good, but it's a pretty big plus if it's fun to shoot as well!

Good tip - I'll look this one up. Thanks!

This is probably one of the most over abused myths in the hand gun world. I can tell you that we shoot in the neighborhood of 250,000rds of 9mm through roughly two dozen Beretta's annually. These are training guns. They don't get the kind of care/cleaning that operational weapons get. They are fired far far far more than a carry weapon and are exposed to an exponential amount of abuse/wear and tear. Of that quarter of a million rounds there might be 5-10 malfunctions per year. Of that 5-10 malfunctions annually 99% of those are operator error and have absolutely nothing to do with the gun. The remaining 1% is generally a result of a filthy weapon that is not properly cared for (i.e. - cleanliness and lubrication). A properly cared for quality auto is every bit as reliable as a revolver and packs 2-3 times the ammo.

+1
I went through training at the local PD's range just before they switched to semi-autos back in the early 90's and I recall one or two really good revolver jams on the line. The kind that require tools to get them working again.

If it helps, I'd rank my preferences as:

1. Durability
2. Price
3. Comfort
4. Size
5. Power
6. Aesthetics

Well if there's one thing I know (even though I hate to admit it), Glocks are probably the most rugged semi's out there right now. They will take all kinds of abuse, misuse and neglect and keep on running.

Behind them I would put my vote in for Sig Sauer. I like their pistols a lot, as do many military agencies. For me, the Beretta 92 never felt quite "right", but YMMV and you oughta head down to your local shop to fondle a few.

In price, Glocks have Sigs beat (mostly). They're plentiful, no frills, and there are a gazillion parts available.

As for comfort, the Sig wins hands-down for me. I've shot Glock 17s, 19s, and 26. For Sigs I've shot (and own) the P228 (otherwise known as the M11), the P226, P225, P220, and P239. For me, Sigs fit better in my hand and point more naturally. The Glock's grip is unique - some love it, some hate it.

As for size, a general purpose 9mm handgun is best around a 4" barrel. If you're doing more range shooting, you can go with the 5" for added comfort/stability and if you think you might need to conceal it sometimes, you can get a 3" compact.

As for power, the 9mm is every bit as powerful as .38spl +P, but not quite as good as .357. However, with high quality ammo, the 9mm makes up a lot of this difference. The .357 is still one badass rounds though!

Aesthetics? Hands-down Sig Sauer. They don't call GLOCKS BLOCKS for nuthin'.:w00t:

Well, a .22lr pistol is a great place to start -- cheap to shoot, almost no recoil, and most are quite accurate. But a .22 doesn't cut it for concealed carry/home defense.

Your price range will get you most handguns on the market. The exception is 1911s, there you're only looking at the lower end of what is available. Actually, if you go for a less expensive pistol like a glock you could get both a full size centerfire pistol and a .22 fun gun.

Absent more info I would recommend a glock 17 or 19. Try to find a police trade in to save money. It's 9mm, so it's cheaper to shoot than other self defense calibers, the recoil is relatively mild, and there are accessories aplenty to choose from. Once you put some rounds on paper and decide what you really want (carry, home defense, target, competition, etc), then you may decide to sell/trade the glock or pick up a different gun more to your liking.

Other good choices would be the sig 226, 229, or 220, an HK USP, the Smith and Wesson M&P series of pistols, or a S&W or Taurus revolver in .38 special or .357.

I would stay away from the ultra compact guns designed for the concealed carry market until you have a better idea of what you're looking for and what you shoot accurately. They tend to be not much fun to shoot at the range and carry guns are subject to a lot of personal preferences.

This^ Ill add the XD to the list, even though I prefer and own a Glock.

Slagle what branch? Im a 0812 in the Navy myself.

Top Bottom